HD install; does Puppy still load to and run from RAM?

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

simple1 wrote:First of all, anyone know why my last post is repeated 4 times in this thread. I sumitted it only once...here.....
That was me. I did some fancy moderating that apparently confounded the forum software. Sorry. :oops:

simple1

#17 Post by simple1 »

I dont have to use it; I have a ready 2g in hdb1
I thought a 1/2 g drive was plenty ? to load puppy to ram and a swap too. I want to boot from grub to puppy in ram; and i can put pup001 anywhere.
please read the entire thread.

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

simple1 wrote:I dont have to use it; I have a ready 2g in hdb1
I thought a 1/2 g drive was plenty ? to load puppy to ram and a swap too. I want to boot from grub to puppy in ram; and i can put pup001 anywhere.
please read the entire thread.
I re-read the thread. Nothing different. You wanted to copy the 3 files to hdc1. You also wrote that it was 48 mb. I wrote that it not enough room.

BTW - a 1/2 gb partition is big enough in my opinion. A 48 mb partition is not big enough, even to hold the three files you want to copy. That's a fact.

Also, you can as you said put pup001 anywhere (more or less), but you gotta put usr_cram.fs in the same place.

simple1

#19 Post by simple1 »

Bruce.
I really want to thank you; you walkd me through the steps I had asked; precisly - Good newbie help rules! I am really trying hard to wean myself off of win98.

Sorry about not knowing the difference between 1/2 g and 1/20th g. I didn't realize they came that small or rather large in this case. Anyway I have a 1g hard drive in the box now, but have spent a fair part of the day trying to get it to boot. Started out trying to quiet it down - it sounds like a vacume - by changing the ps fan... the short story is the ps failed in increments - didn't reliably recognise drives in bios. Anyway I should be able to try again soon.
Thanks again,

argotnaut

#20 Post by argotnaut »

GuestToo wrote:you can copy the 3 Puppy files from the cd to your hard drive [...] then all you have to do is add a few lines to your grub menu.lst file
Can someone please give me a sample of what the Puppy entry should look like in menu.list if I've copied those files to their own partition on my hard drive? Thanks.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#21 Post by GuestToo »

mine looks something like this:

Code: Select all

title = Puppy Linux
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=pup001-none-262144 PHOME=hda1
initrd /image.gz
this boots from hda1, using pup001 (262 megs) on hda1
(the 3rd line begins with kernel and ends with PHOME=hda1)

argotnaut

#22 Post by argotnaut »

Thanks! Hope I can figure it out from here. :)

#23 Post by Guest »

OK,

Finally got another psu in the box that is working; figured out that one hard drive is plenty for this ancient box.

So, 2.1 gb hard drive.
hda1-1.8 gb puppy - hard drive install only.
hda2-256 mb swap.

Bruce; I followed your instructions (thank you again). I had to change the directions to my hard drive - hda1 - includes puppy hard drive install only.
Didn't need to make 'data'.
Also had to change cdrom to hdc. No problem copying usr_cram.fs or image.gz. vmlinux, on the other hand,
"cp: cannot stat '/mnt/cdrom vmlinux' : No such file or directory"
So I "mkdir vmlinux" and it is now listed in data BUT --
# cp /mnt/cdrom/vmlinux
still returns:
"cp: cannot stat '/mnt/cdrom vmlinux' : No such file or directory"

HELP

Oh Yea, grub is installed and working to boot puppy hd install. How does one configure grub to boot the ram version - here I need a really basic noobie walk thru.