Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Oct 2014, 00:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Minisys-Linux Muppy 008.3 F (July, 12th, 2008)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2008, 11:40    Post_subject: good burn?  

@Scoticus,tlchost,

This may simply display my ignorance for the world to see, but I feel compelled to ask. When I have burned multisession CDs using burniso2cd I have never been able to verify them. This leaves open the possibility you did not have a good burn, which would explain your problems, even if the ISO had a good md5 sum.

Q: does anyone have a simple way to verify a multisession CD against the ISO file that produced it? Could this be incorporated in burniso2cd ?

Edited_time_total
Scoticus

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2008, 03:42    Post_subject: Minisys-Linux Muppy 008.3b (may,08,2008)  

Mark

Multisession DVD+RW is my standard method of working with Puppy. I have had no problems with burning ISOs on these disks and working with them.

I hope this is of assistance
MU

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2008, 18:46    Post_subject:  

I updated the Mini-Isos and the addons.sfs.

Changes:
- Goggles fix (black window)

- Cups now is in the Mini, not in the addons.
There is one issue with it though:
addons_083.sfs must NOT be loaded, when you want to set up a printer in the Cups Webinterface.
If it is loaded, the Cups Webserver has permission-problems.
I see no logic issue for this, and cannot fix that.

So to setup a printer, remove addons_083.sfs from the bootmanager, and reboot first.

The updated addons have Cups removed and the fixed Weather-Gdesklet.

Mark

Edited_time_total
MU

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2008, 01:17    Post_subject:  

I updated the Standard-Isos with the latest fixes (Weather-Gdesklet, Goggles). They also now include all the games from the latest update of games.sfs.

So everything is synchron and requires no external patches any more until new issues are reported.

The build-system (c) currently uploads, it will take 1-2 hours.
Mark

tlchost

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2008, 06:24    Post_subject: Re: good burn?  

prehistoric wrote:
@Scoticus,tlchost,

When I have burned multisession CDs using burniso2cd I have never been able to verify them.

I just had to replace my DVD/RW drive....which was the reason I could not remaster a LIVECD. Even though the drive was bad, burniso2cd told me the image was burned correctly. Now, with a new drive that does burn correctly, burniso2cd tells me that the burn was bad. I watched the drive during the process, and it appears that the new drive is slightly slower to initially spin up...perhaps that is what burniso2cd sees.

Thom
xandas

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 05:22    Post_subject: Sound trouble  

Speaking of Muppy Mini 008. Running Impress the powerpoint files shows the slides show correctly but with no sound.
Then, I installed ppview.exe using the w$(wine) entry with same result.
With Gxine, Mplayer, sound is OK
Some idea?
Xan
prehistoric

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 11:03    Post_subject: X race condition  

@MU,

I've been provoked into going public on a change to 3.02 before I had tested it enough. fix for X race I'm posting from a Muppy 008.3 installation where I've applied this and it seems to work for this case as well. You can find the whole long story of the hunt for this snark in this thread.
MU

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 23:49    Post_subject:  

I uploaded version 008.3d.

Changes:
- includes gstreamer + exaile (Mediamanager/player) from the former "goodies.sfs".

- includes optional propriatary ATI graficsdrivers for Radeon-cards 7000 - 9250, that must be installed outside X by typing "install-ati" (to remove: "uninstall-ati")

- fixed symlink for smb.conf, so that samba-shares now should work in Minisys

- fixed wrong permissions in /usr using the addons.sfs for the Mini. That prevented Cups to work, now it works.

The buildsystem was updated, too.

Mark

Barburo

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 02:20    Post_subject: Muppy 008.3
Sub_title: Task bar Bug

sorry - accidental double post
Edited_time_total
Barburo

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 02:20    Post_subject: Muppy 008.3
Sub_title: Task bar Bug

Hi Mark,
I'm enjoying your latest Muppy - using Opera browser for the first time seriously and liking it.
When I click on the task bar paw mark and make a selection from the menu - it works. Close that application or window.
Click again on the paw mark and the last selection automatically is restarted!
Close again and task bar menu allows me to select another item. However upon closing that item and reclicking the same thing happens again.
Is it a bug? (I scrolled through this thread but couldn't find any reference to this but I may have missed something).
I also notice via conky the greater use of the swap partition vs RAM on my notebook than for other Puppies based on 3.01 - is there a reason for this?
Thanks for your efforts on this and your tireless attention in responding to us Puppy Muppy-ites.

MU

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 07:49    Post_subject:  

Menu:
I can't reproduce the menu issue on my system, but remember I had something like this on my notebook.
I will use my notebook the whole next week, and then try to find out, why it is so.
Might be a delay-issue in the code.

Swap:
yes, Puppy is loaded to Ram if you have enough of it. If the swap is very big, the Kernel puts seldom used stuff from Ram to swap.
- I have a desktop with 1 Gb Ram, and a big swap.
Then the system is loaded to Ram, and if I use Standard, 600 MB of swap is used, so almost the whole msy_083.sfs is in swap!
For this reason I use the mini on this system, here swap is 0%, later just 20% running firefox, gimp and more (which are in addons.sfs mounted directly from disk, it is not buffered in Ram).
- On my notebook (256 MB Ram), the standard works better.
It is mounted of the disk, because it does not fit in Ram, that anyway is pretty fast.
So it is not swapped, and Ram stays free completely for applications.
If I use the Mini here, it is loaded to Ram, leaving not much free Ram for applications, so also gets swapped. That seems to be a bit slower.

On the website I wrote, that the Mini is always better.
This seems not to be true in every case, depending on your Ram and swap-settings.
Best will be to try out both versions.

Mark

prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 08:19    Post_subject: CUPS permissions in standard ISO?  

@MU,

Mark, I think I went to the wrong site and picked up an older Muppy standard ISO. I used the links on the Minisys English language page to download. Because the file names don't reflect the letter changes from 008.3c to 008.3d I could easily have confused the two.

I'm reportiing this as a bug anyway, because you said the permission problem with CUPS applied to the mini version and the workaround was to install the printer without the addons.sfs file. The standard ISO has no addons.sfs. So, what to do in that case?

Regarding bandwidth consumed by all the people downloading ISOs, how about easily available pets, sfs or xdeltas for the change from 008.3 to 008.3d? (Make the full download a little harder.)
MU

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 08:31    Post_subject:  

old versions get a version-number, so they still can be downloaded browsing the ftp-folders.
The current version always has the original name, so that the links on the website always will lead to the current version, without modifying them (what could cause cache-problems).

current (version 008.3d):
Muppy-Minisys-Linux-Standard-008.3-EN.iso
old:
Muppy-Minisys-Linux-Standard-008.3-EN.iso-old-c

Concerning deltas: I must have a look how this works, at moment I'm too busy.
The quickest way for me to create upgrades (still using many hours) is to run my buildscripts, then upload. Adding more choices, would cost more time.
Except if I just add small changes, then I release a new goodies.sfs or update-dotpup.

Addons: they are for the Mini-Iso only, to give it the same functionality as Standard.
Addons.sfs is not for theStandard-Iso!
The Cups permission problem was only related to Mini, not to Standard.

Mark

prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 10:04    Post_subject: CUPS problem solved  

Mea culpa, Mark, Embarassed

The problem was not with CUPS. I picked up the wrong driver twice, for well-known printers: Samsung ML-1710, Canon BJC-210. (The Canon driver has been around since approximately the time programmers first descended from the trees. That's why it is one of my standard fall-back tests.) Getting exactly the right PPD file from linuxprinting.org made the difference. The way it failed resembled some permission problems I've had on other systems.

I can understand why the BJC-210 driver would not be included in a recent package, the Samsung ML-1710 is another matter; it is only two or three years old and was sold in large numbers.

To err is human, even when you're prehistoric.
MU

PostPosted: Thu 22 May 2008, 10:40    Post_subject:  

next week (up to 10 days) we go to companies to install things.
So in that time, I cannot work on 008.4.

I plan for 008.4, to upgrade Gtk to slackware-gnomes version.
Then I also would replace the Gnome related files with those of Gnome 2.22.
As the Standard iso is 690 MB already (with localization), I then must check the size, and what I will drop from it (games?) to get space for more printerdrivers. Or it would no longer fit on a CD, that of course would be inacceptable.

Then I could try to add more printer-drivers from one of the pets, that were posted here (I think there was a pack called "cups-heaven" or so with many recent drivers).

Mark

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 16 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum