Minisys-Linux Muppy 008.3 F (July, 12th, 2008)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#16 Post by MU »

Concerning Pburn, please ask zigbert.
He releases new releases so quickly, that I could not test them in detail.
I just added the newest 1.5.0.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881

USB-printers: can someone confirm problems with other models, too?
With what version does yours work?
Do you have a link handy for the Cups, that you installed?
It might help tofind out, how I could enhance the included one, or we could just recommend it for persons with the same problem.

Thanks, Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

prehistoric

Posting from Mini-Muppy 008.3 on problem machine

#17 Post by prehistoric »

@MU,

I'm back! This time posting from the machine which has been causing us grief in testing Chihuahua. Once again, Muppy looks great, and seems to have avoided several problems we ran into. This gives us a good idea of where to look for causes.

HotPup is in the doghouse, again. It started off with drive icons in the upper left corner, and, when I tried to change the default location, with the setup HotPup utility, it kept telling me it couldn't change and was restoring the previous setting. Every change brought this response.

The only other "bug" is the choice of volume control on the panel. By the time it comes up, (on a 500 MHz machine with 128 MB RAM, running a frugal install on the hard drive,) I might have done several other things, even launched it repeatedly.

Muppy does not suffer from the blank screen on exit problem I've had. This appears to be specific to our set up.

The fact that you also use Icewm, conky, blinky and HotPup gives me hope we can sort out the source of our troubles without giving up everything new. Having working current versions of the same things to examine is just what we needed.

Thanks Mark!

MU

#18 Post by MU »

Hotpup:
Muppy uses a modified /usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#-- too buggy, removed for muppy
;)

For this reason it also has no icons on the right side of the screen.
Without fixPuppyPin, they would not be re-aligned when you change the screen-resolution (what happens if you choose Xvesa the first time).
I think fixpuppypin might be problematic with hotpup.
I had removed it long before, because it sometimes messed up my Icon-layout.
Maybe this is, why Hotpup works in Muppy.

You also could try to use the one from Dingo.
I have seen, that Dingo now uses Hotpup, too, so maybe Barry modified fixpuppypin.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

accessdenied

#19 Post by accessdenied »

Brilliant work MU!!!

Damn, I think I stained my shorts... :? :wink:

Downloading Mini & Standard now with all SFS files.

Going test Mini on an old laptop with 192mb ram.... This could be interesting...

-cheers

prehistoric

Question asked earlier

#20 Post by prehistoric »

@MU,

I appreciate your offer earlier of packaging things as pets and helping with porting. I hadn't intended to ask for help from someone who is already 110% committed, just wanted an opinion on feasibility. The idea of making the standard ISO image as an actual mini plus sfs files was what I was thinking about. Do you think this is reasonable? Is there some catch that hasn't occurred to me, or is this something nice you might do later?

At this point I'm just trying out ideas, my coding days are pretty much behind me. We've been having arguments about what "must" be in Chihuahua and what size limits "must" be observed. Making Puppy compatible with Slackware 12 binaries was a good thing, but it came at a price - the libraries required take more space.

When I'm installing on a machine with limited memory I tend to create a swap partition larger than other people use. Partly, this is for testing software, as the final result of some extremely obscure problems is a slow accumulation of unused pages in swap. Mostly, I do this so unused parts of the file system get swapped out. This doesn't address the problem of getting that first file system built in RAM. Building a mini system in RAM and mounting sfs file systems only while needed seems promising.

Currently, we have "Chihuahua" for minimum size and "Lassie" for the full size. If we can live with memory restrictions, I don't think the difference in ISO sizes is a big deal. That's why I'm considering an ISO which includes the "Lassie" sfs w/o always loading it into RAM. This could be handled like a multisession CD/DVD. Am I making sense?

prehistoric

prehistoric

bug in HotPup

#21 Post by prehistoric »

@MU,

I'm running Muppy-Mini-008.3 off a flash drive and got into a situation I've never seen before while trying to reproduce a problem with hotpup startup. Something weird happened on one boot and now it keeps adding an icon for "home" at every start of X. I've attached a screenshot showing how far this can go. N.B.: there is exactly one USB flash drive, running in superfloppy mode without partitions, and no hard drive at all in this laptop.

I was trying to find examples of the pileup of icons in the upper left corner. So, I was rebooting repeatedly. I'll shutdown after I post this and report what I find afterward.

Added: problem still there after reboot. Drive icons now extend far enough to run out of space with some on top of DVD icon. Checked /etc/mtab and /mnt, but these were O.K.
Attachments
hotprob.jpg
Screenshot showing multiple mounts of one USB flash drive under Muppy 008.3 on Dell D600 laptop.
(55.1 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times

Broadway

#22 Post by Broadway »

Thank you for Muppy 008.3
It runs fine on my notebooks, but there is one issue:

On every shutdown or reboot there is a

"Journal commit I/O Error"

shown immediately after "Sie können den Computer jetzt ausschalten."

tlchost

#23 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: USB-printers: can someone confirm problems with other models, too?
With what version does yours work?
Do you have a link handy for the Cups, that you installed?
It might help tofind out, how I could enhance the included one, or we could just recommend it for persons with the same problem.
I installed cups-install-0.3.pup to give me USB and the HP Laserjet4 Plus.

tlchost

Re: Minisys-Linux Muppy 008.3

#24 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: UPDATES - KNOWN BUGS:
I am using a LIVE-CD....the version is great....but when I attempt to remaster it, none of the scripts, bookmarks, documents that I have in root are saved.

Per the remaster script, after /tmp/root is created, I copy all the items I want that the script did not save into /tmp/root I check and they are really there....but when the iso is created, it does not contain any of the the item I wanted saved.

Can anyone tell me that I am not doing correctly, or suggest a different method?

Additionally, under 008.2 I could create the iso on my C drive(ntfs)...but under 008.3, the drive shows up as read only? Is there a work around or must I specifiy a thumb drive or other fat32 device?

Thanks

prit1

#25 Post by prit1 »

@MU: While MiniMuppy 008.3 worked fine in one of my laptops, the other one would not work with wireless. The router is only WEP, still it is not connecting. My wireless uses RT2500 module and works perfectly with 2.17.1. All the Puppy 3 series wireless support for this laptop has been intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Puppy 3.98 worked with Pwireless and after I created a profile, it started automatically working on every reboot.

HairyWill

#26 Post by HairyWill »

Another stunning release Mark, well done.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

prehistoric

clue about multple mount points?

#27 Post by prehistoric »

@MU,

In comparing the installations of Muppy 008.3 which do or do not show the multiple mount points in the screenshot posted above, I came across an assumption in the remove_icons_for_mounted_devices script in /etc/hotpup. It assumes icons for mount points are associated with partitions. The USB flash drive I'm using only boots on one machine when set up in superfloppy mode, without partitions, and those icons corresponding to it are never removed.

Added: I've been checking other puplets. The bug does show up when HotPup is enabled and a USB drive set up in superfloppy mode is mounted.

nice2k

#28 Post by nice2k »

Thanks for the embryo :)
Only "problem" I have, (german version of embryo) that there seems to be no opera installed. "defaultbrowser" cannot find it.
Now I've installed firefox instead, just wondering what is wrong with it ;)

nic2109

#29 Post by nic2109 »

Hello; I am trying the mini version of Muppy 8.3.

The BBC News website says that the version of Flash used means that their video content cannot be viewed - see screenshot (right in the middle of the image, beneath the picture) where it says 'Cannot play media.'.

Which version of Flash comes with Muppy 8.3, and how should we upgrade it if this is possible?
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

MU

#30 Post by MU »

Nic:
Opera is using Flash 7.
As far as I know, Flash 9 is not supported yet by Opera.
If anybody knows, how to use Flash 9 with it, please let me know.

Broadway:

Is your msy_save.2fs located on a NTFS-drive? (from Windows).
At weekend, I installed it on a friends computer on a NTFS-drive (Windows XP).
I got the same message, but it seemed to work nevertheless.
I will create a NTFS-drive on my own computer to validate that.

Prehistoric (HotPup)
Concerning those "ghost"-icons:
I did not encounter that yet, but I just saw, that Puppy 4 has the same issue.
I hope this soon can be fixed.

Tichost
Additionally, under 008.2 I could create the iso on my C drive(ntfs)...but under 008.3, the drive shows up as read only? Is there a work around or must I specifiy a thumb drive or other fat32 device?
Please look here for a solution:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30
I will try to fix this for 0083b.
I am using a LIVE-CD....the version is great....but when I attempt to remaster it, none of the scripts, bookmarks, documents that I have in root are saved.

Per the remaster script, after /tmp/root is created, I copy all the items I want that the script did not save into /tmp/root I check and they are really there....but when the iso is created, it does not contain any of the the item I wanted saved.

Can anyone tell me that I am not doing correctly, or suggest a different method?

unsolved.
I currently use the build-system mentioned in the first message to create new Muppys.
I did not try the remaster yet.
Will have a look.

Prit1
@MU: While MiniMuppy 008.3 worked fine in one of my laptops, the other one would not work with wireless. The router is only WEP, still it is not connecting. My wireless uses RT2500 module and works perfectly with 2.17.1. All the Puppy 3 series wireless support for this laptop has been intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Puppy 3.98 worked with Pwireless and after I created a profile, it started automatically working on every reboot.
So we have to upgrade this for 008.4 using code of Puppy 4.
It will be too complex, to add this as bugfix only.
The rt2500 is known to be very problematic.

Mark

MU

#31 Post by MU »

nice2k wrote:Thanks for the embryo :)
Only "problem" I have, (german version of embryo) that there seems to be no opera installed. "defaultbrowser" cannot find it.
Now I've installed firefox instead, just wondering what is wrong with it ;)
Yes, I must update the website.
Opera is included only in Server, not in Embryo, to keep Embryo small.
You can download/extract the build-system for Embryo/Server (see first message).
Then copy all you need from /sfs-sources/packes-server/ to /sfs-sources/packages-base/
These 2 folders:
/Opera
/QT

Then create a new embryo by running
./build-embryo
./build-iso

Mark

Broadway

#32 Post by Broadway »

MU wrote: Broadway:

Is your msy_save.2fs located on a NTFS-drive? (from Windows).
At weekend, I installed it on a friends computer on a NTFS-drive (Windows XP).
I got the same message, but it seemed to work nevertheless.
I will create a NTFS-drive on my own computer to validate that.
Yes it is on a NTFS-drive.

tlchost

#33 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: I currently use the build-system mentioned in the first message to create new Muppys.
I did not try the remaster yet.
Will have a look.
Thanks so much...since all I run/have is Live-CDs of Puppy, I don;t think I could use the build system.

Looking forward to being able to remaster this version....it's really very nice.

Thom

nic2109

#34 Post by nic2109 »

MU wrote:Opera is using Flash 7. As far as I know, Flash 9 is not supported yet by Opera.
That's pretty clear then!
MU wrote: If anybody knows, how to use Flash 9 with it, please let me know.
Let's hope that someone does know. Meanwhile; I'll give Firefox a try.

Thanks.

Later Additions Firefox from ttuuxxx's .pet is fine (as is SeaMonkey in Dingo by the way), so this news junkie can still get continuous fixes.

Two very minor "funnies" are also worth reporting.

1) The bottom of the ICE Dock is hidden by the lower bar unless you hide the upper bar when it jumps up by the width of the hidden bar.

2) The "Start" button on the upper bar behaves oddly. The first click is fine and behaves as expected; the second repeats the option selected first time; the next is OK; the next repeats the previous selection; and so on.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

MU

#35 Post by MU »

HotPup:

Can someone, who has the problem, that the HotPup icons (your drives) are not arranged correctly, please attach the file:
/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

So when these icons are all "arranged" in the top left corner.

I am not able to reproduce the problem, maybe I find a hint in that file.
Please also tell me, what screen-resolution you use.

Thanks, Mark