How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Aitch

#31 Post by Aitch »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"and for my next trick....."

Aitch :)

erikson

#32 Post by erikson »

106498 wrote:Not sure what that means? A google search reported that many people have the same problem. For some changing the kernel version seems to fix it.
For me it reports something else:

Code: Select all

1# modprobe speedstep-centrino
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): Device or resource busy
1#
To the best of my knowledge, speedstep-centrino is deprecated and the generic acpi-cpufreq can be used instead. It works like that on my laptop, which has a Centrino.

@technosaurus: I'm even smarter than you because I didn't spend any $$$ on a quad-core :-)
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

#33 Post by 106498 »

Modprobing acpi-cpufreq returned

# modprobe acpi-cpufreq
WARNING: Error inserting processor (/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Oh dear. I think I'm running out of stuff to modprobe here...
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

Aitch

#34 Post by Aitch »

Maybe a system file error somewhere?

try booting with the pfix=purge parameter

Save your configuration somewhere just in case, though

Else check your ACPI settings in BIOS

Aitch :)

JPsDad

How do I display CPU Temp?

#35 Post by JPsDad »

I am running Puppy4.12, Centrino with Pent.M 1.6. My rc.local looks like this:
#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
modprobe ac
modprobe battery
modprobe fan
modprobe thermal
modprobe cpufreq_userspace
modprobe speedstep_centrino
modprobe cpufreq_powersave
modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
modprobe cpufreq_conservative
echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

my CPU can run from 1.6MHz down to 0.6MHz. but I cannot see what it is doing. My fan seems to run continuously.
When I was running Mepis 6.0, it included KDE, with Ksensor, that displayed temp and freq. and they varied with CPU load.
Trouble was - much too long a boot time for a laptop.

How do we monitor with Puppy?

linuxcbon

#36 Post by linuxcbon »

macrocephalic

DIG

#37 Post by macrocephalic »

Just did this on my MSI wind with the 1.6ghz atom processor in puppy 4.2 final. The GUI works - but it tries to modprobe the speedstep-centrino for the atom processor and it doesn't work (in the console doing that gives that 'device busy' error). Using just the acpi-cpufreq seems to work alright though so I've added the required lines to the rc.local file from the original post.

I'm yet to see how much difference this makes in battery time - but now that it's working I can play around with the governor more and see what I can do.

ARAN

modules for new 4.3 kernel release

#38 Post by ARAN »

We need somebody that can upload the new modules for the cpu scalling of the kernel 2.6.30.5 that is used in the new pup4.3 release.

in the folder "lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/cpu/cpufreq" i can not find anything !

Without this cpu freq modules the CPU is running at maximum speed all the time. The heat can burn with the time the cpu down !

aragon

#39 Post by aragon »

@ ARAN
you might calm down a little yourself. as answered in your other post, in my opinion everything is there. please search here:

cpufreq: /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
governors: /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/cpufreq

aragon

aragon

#40 Post by aragon »

@ ARAN

as in the other thread:
@ ARAN :oops: :oops: :oops:
all i can do is apologize!

i've by mistake loaded 4.3 Beta 3 and they are all there. now that i look at 4.3-small in quemu, what should i say, can't find the modules any more, you're right.

maybe someone else should look at this, but seems to be a big bug.

so, again sorry.

aragon
edit:
now i'm a little wiser.

this is a problem for pup-430-small.iso. the regular one pup-430.iso does contain the modules in the zp430305.sfs. i don't know if it's a bug or by design but i will post it in the bugs-section.

aragon
aragon

jakfish

CPU Scaling/EEE 900 Ondemand/Conservative Module Not Working

#41 Post by jakfish »

Although the cpu scaling gui sets things up wonderfully, at least in the Asus eee 900, only "performance" and "powersave" modules work.

The CPU scaling gui will setup in /root/startup an sh file modprobing ondemand, but when using "cat scaling_governor", "Performance" is the result, meaning the machine is constantly maxed to its top speed. Ditto results after modprobing and installing "conservative" in place of "ondemand". "echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor"

Only "powersave" and "performance" can be used. I can't figure out why. Can anybody else repeat this error, either in an eee or other machine?

Jake

ARAN

#42 Post by ARAN »

Yeah i can confirm this error on my Laptop Acer Aspire 1360.
My CPU in the Laptop use allways the Maximal Frequency even in idle. The scaling_governor is allways performance.
I dont think that this is realy wise from energy save point of view.
I wanted to have ondemand but i cant make it for some reason.

Beside this i have achieved at least to have now a Cool and Quiet Laptop.
Dont know however if with the option ondemand even this quiet good temperatures can be bringed down !
# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRC/*
0 - Active; 1 - Passive
<polling disabled>
state: ok
temperature: 49 C
critical (S5): 97 C
passive: 90 C: tc1=2 tc2=5 tsp=300 devices=CPU0
# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRS/*
0 - Active; 1 - Passive
<polling disabled>
state: ok
temperature: 43 C
critical (S5): 80 C
passive: 75 C: tc1=2 tc2=5 tsp=300 devices=CPU0

ARAN

#43 Post by ARAN »

aragon wrote:@ ARAN
you might calm down a little yourself. as answered in your other post, in my opinion everything is there. please search here:

cpufreq: /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
governors: /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/cpufreq

aragon
Hello Aragon.

Thanks for your reply.
I have trashed the small iso as it miss for some reason the cpu scalling modules.
In the regular Iso the Modules exist in the zdrive file but for some strange reason they arent loaded and copied to puppy.

At least the last full booting of puppy in ram they werent loaded.
I assume that in the regular boot they will also be not loaded !

I have fixed my problem now by copying the needed cpu freq scalling modules from the zdrv sfs file to the pupsave file.

Now it works a litlle better.

Anniekin

#44 Post by Anniekin »

Nice. Subscribed.

dawnsboy

Eeepc & P4-clockmod

#45 Post by dawnsboy »

Just a word to the wise for those users with Eeepc's that feature the Intel Celeron M 353 900MHz processor and 70MHz FSB. The following is a quote from the hardware section of the wiki at eeeuser.com.
Note that the Eee's Linux operating system misreports the speed of the Eee's processor as 900MHz. The cause of this appears to be the p4-clockmod kernel module; once this is removed, the processor speed is reported accurately. The EEE has been benchmarked with the module present in the kernel and without; the results were the same for either case.2)
I have found this to be true in Puppy Linux as well.

Find more on the subject here:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=19749#p19749

To me the most interesting segment of that thread is:
My points regarding ODCM are unrelated to the FSB's impact on the actual operating frequency. When I stated that "the processor frequency never changes" it was in regards to ODCM throttle states not being capable of altering the CPU frequency. I was not stating that the processor runs at 900 MHz irregardless of FSB frequency (that statement would not be in line with the 'published' CPU theorem that I worked so hard on big_smile)

Back to ODCM:

When somewhat idle various Linux utilities on the eeePC would report that the processor is running at 112.50 MHz (12.5% throttle), such a reported frequency is incorrect because of the following reasons:

1- The utility incorrectly assumes the FSB is 100 MHz. Since the FSB is running at 70 MHz the CPU is actually running at 630 MHz therefore a 12.5% ODCM throttle should be reported as 78.75 MHz CPU frequency.

BUT more importantly the 78.75 MHz CPU frequency is still incorrect because...

2- ODCM throttling does not alter the CPU's operating frequency.

All in all, due to p4_clockmod and cpufreq modules the CPU frequency reported in linux/Xandros is always FUBAR.
This seems to also be true in Puppy Linux, Vector Linux and some other distros I have played with.

I have been able to confirm that loading the EEE module in Puppy after installing tempestuous' eee fan/cpu driver by entering "cat /proc/eee/fsb" in console. It returns the desired response. Furthermore comparing benchmarking results with those obtained while attempting to use the speed stepping technology described in this thread demonstrate that the performance of the latter is equal to the results obtained when operating at the default 630MHz.

Optimal setup for the Eeepc 701/900 with the Intel Celeron M 70MHz FSB is to use the EEE module supplied in tempestuous' wonderful eee-fan-CPU-0.2 package is the only way to go.

jakfish

#46 Post by jakfish »

Nice post, dawnsboy. An addendum to your good information is that even if scaling DID work with the eee 700/900, it's debatable how productive scaling is with this particular line of netbooks.

When the cpu speed is forced below the 630mHZ level, eee CPU usage increases substantially, and in the world of irony, such a usage increase could generate worse battery life than a cpu set at normal speed, not to mention the drop-off in performance (though w/ scaling, the CPU speed would increase if needed, but perhaps with a lag in initial response).

Your post should help eee users who are wondering what's what.

Jake

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm....

I'd better look into this further...

Thanks dawnsboy, jakfish
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dawnsboy

#48 Post by dawnsboy »

Jakfish said:
An addendum to your good information is that even if scaling DID work with the eee 700/900, it's debatable how productive scaling is with this particular line of netbooks.

When the cpu speed is forced below the 630mHZ level, eee CPU usage increases substantially, and in the world of irony, such a usage increase could generate worse battery life than a cpu set at normal speed, not to mention the drop-off in performance (though w/ scaling, the CPU speed would increase if needed, but perhaps with a lag in initial response).
@jakfish

Most of this information came to my attention as I was studying the matter during that period of time that I created the gui for various versions of the pupeeecontrol.pet package that tied together the command line functions made available by tempestuous' driver and dougal's fan scripts. It took some time to track down and absorb that info but I began sharing it on various threads related to the subject.

At the time that I wrote the initial gui for pupeeecontrol you and eeeuser forum member weganwarrior did some extensive testing of the overclocking and underclocking abilities of the Intel Celeron M processor using the scripts that wound up in pupeeecontrol. I think you did a pretty good job of proving that underclocking on this line of netbooks is fruitless.

However overclocking to 100MHz FSB to produce 900MHz processor speed can be done effectively using the EEE module supplied by tempestuous. The fan scripts should also work once the kinks are ironed out. Certainly clicking a button to drop fan speed to 40% does work. So if one is at the cafe using the hotspot dropping to the default 630MHz and 40% fan speed should be the most effective way available to reduce battery consumption (other than dimming the backlight, etc).

@01micko

If you are running a 701SD with Intel Celeron 900MHz and 400MHz FSB then you have hardware that is an exception to this in the sense that the scripts used in eeecontrol assume a default 70MHz with the target of increasing that speed incrementally to 100MHz FSB. In regard to speed stepping and information in my last post I must assume that the information applies to your netbook as well because it does have the Intel Celeron 900MHz processor.

steel_j

Found a solution

#49 Post by steel_j »

I have a HP Pavilion ZE500 Series laptop with a P4 2.66ghz.

With Puppy 4.1 the frequency scaling worked flawlessly between 1.6ghz and 2.66ghz.

Now with Puppy 4.30 I experienced the problems described above in this thread. i.e Frequency governor remained stuck at PERFORMANCE.

I had used the new CPU Frequency Scaling Tool in the Setup Menu and the only thing that worked is when I selected P4-Clockmod. The Acpi-cpufreq module would not load and said it was incompatible.

Weird to me because that was the module I used on Puppy 4.1???

Anyways to make a long story short here is how I solved the problem:

As with the first post of this thread I went and added these lines to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

# cpu frequency-scaling (to save energy and to keep the system cool)
# step 1: load cpu driver, setup cpufreq system
modprobe speedstep-lib      # library
modprobe acpi-cpufreq      # generic
# step 2: load driver(s) for frequency-scaling mode(s)
modprobe cpufreq_ondemand   # ondemand mode
#modprobe cpufreq_powersave   # powersave mode
#modprobe cpufreq_conservative   # conservative mode
#modprobe cpufreq_userspace   # userspace mode
# step 3: min/max fine-tuning; launch ondemand frequency-scaling mode
# replace [min] resp. [max] with numeric values from available frequencies
#echo [min] > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
#echo [max] > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Pay attention to the uncommented portions. I loaded the speedstep-lib and the acpi-cpufreq modules, then the frequency sclaing (ondemand) and a the end I launched it:

Here is a fat trimmed version of the 3 essential lines in this:

# step 1: load cpu driver, setup cpufreq system
modprobe speedstep-lib      # library
modprobe acpi-cpufreq      # generic
# step 2: load driver(s) for frequency-scaling mode(s)
modprobe cpufreq_ondemand   # ondemand mode
# step 3: min/max fine-tuning; launch ondemand frequency-scaling mode
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Do not use the Min-max settings with acpi-cpufreq module. It is detected automatically.

Don't use the new CPU Frequency Scaling Tool, and if you did, make sure you delete the file called: start_cpu_freq in /root/startup.

Reboot...

Now eveything works.

trio

#50 Post by trio »

Steel_l

You must be using an existing pupsave from another computer to a new computer. If that's the case, you are right, you have to empty (not delete) /root/startup/start_cpu_freq and reboot. Then you can use the cpu freq scaling tool