Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy WiFi Assistant is completed!!!!!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
can8v

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jun 2008, 01:56    Post subject:  

Okay,
Urban Soul and Aitch, both bring up good points on this issue, but I had already thought about this before I started development of this project in earnest. Here is what I came up with.
First of all I agree with urban soul that it is the kernel that is really important, but I don't really know (or more specifically don't have any assurances) that the zdrv_***.sfs file will include the same exact drivers from version to version. Certainly some drivers could be considered NOT crucial and taken out for a specific version or some other driver that was previously NOT considered crucial may be added in the future.
Second, Aitch's point of users not knowing what kernel their version they are using is also valid. Erikson is correct in saying that uname -r from rxvt is a simple way to find out the kernel being used, but command line scares the hell out of many people and while it is helpful for the user trying to find a WiFi card that will work with his version of Puppy, it is useless for the user that is trying to figure out which version of Puppy they need to get their existing WiFi adapter working.
Third, I had considered Aitch's question of should the application popup and say, which kernel the user has, based on their entry of puppy version, but I decided a better approach would be to simply (and automatically) append a list of all other Puppy version(s) that use the same kernel. Ultimately I decided against even doing this because of the first reason listed in this post (I have no assurance that all that the same drivers will be retained in the zdrv_***.sfs file, even between Puppies using the same kernel). Of all the options available this is the only option I can see myself being persuaded to adopt, primarily because of reason number two. Anyone trying to figure out which Puppy they need to make their existing WiFi work, would need Puppy versions listed, not kernel versions (you cannot use uname -r on a Puppy you don't have installed).
This is a sticky situation with no real great way to handle it and each of you have brought up good points and I thank you for the input. I would be willing to consider more input on the issue, as I acknowledge that even the solution I settled on is not great. The solution I settled on makes for redundant information in the db. It is something I am willing to live with if a better solution doesn't present itself, but hey maybe someone else will present a better solution.
Kind regards,
can8v
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2008, 00:20    Post subject:  

I have uploaded all of the changes mentioned in my previous post and some additional validation. I have a few more validation functions I would like to add, but I would like to get some user feedback on the new form for adding WiFi adapters to the db first. Also a couple of the features are not totally cross-browser compatible yet, such as that maintaining variables when using the browsers back button (not losing all of the form data). I will eventually add a JavaScript to auto-redirect back to the form with all of the form data in place, so users with JavaScript enabled won't have to click anything to get back to the form for making corrections. This should all get done in the next couple of days, if I get some user feedback fairly soon, however; there are only two testers so far, so this may take a little while. The edit adapter function will be relatively easy, so I hope to have it completed by the end of the week as well. That means, when school gets out for summer at the end of this next week I will have only the user registration system to complete. This will definitely be one of the most elaborate functions in the whole application. I still have not sorted out all of the details and I am even open to basic suggestions for how registration should take place. I am hoping to come up with a system that is not too elaborate and can be completed within a week (even on my tight schedule). That would give me a target release date of June 20, 2008. Of course the system will not be very practical until users input a substantial amount of data.
Kind regards,
can8v
urban soul

Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2008, 16:31    Post subject:  

what is the 'search by date' for ? cant understand. It is the first thing I see...
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun 2008, 20:12    Post subject:  

urban soul,
The search by date enables one to search the database by when the adapters were added to the database. For example if you are a moderator or if you are following the progress, waiting to see if anyone is going to added data for a particular card you own, you don't want to look at all of the old post. Perhaps you would like to just look at the last few days or weeks. Anyway simply input the start date and the end date of the range you would like to look in and the system returns all adapters that were entered into the database during that time.
regards,
can8v
p.s. I thought that feature was pretty self expanatory, but apparently not. Perhaps you could recommend a more easily understood label for this feature. Maybe I will also move it below the search by manufacturer function, which will obviously get more use.
urban soul

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2008, 12:02    Post subject:  

first, the db is not for moderators.

second how do i know the date format. it leaves me with a insecure feeling about what to do and why. (If it is a good php db you can sort it the way you want.) It looks like before I can use the db I have to enter two valid dates. 23.1.2008 -> correct format ?

third it is not important to the enduser WHEN the data was entered.
Can you hide these fields somewhere at the bottom of the page, so you have it still available?

Another thing: How do I enter data e.g.?

Urban
can8v

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2008, 13:13    Post subject:  

urban soul,

The search by date range is a feature that was requested by Aitch (a user), so apparently it is important to at least one user. I agree that it will see much less use than the search by manufacturer function, so I will place it beneath the search by manufacturer.
Also regarding the date range search, it is JavaScript enabled. As soon as you click it a calendar popup appears and you simply click the date you want and it automatically enters the date in the correct format. This site will eventually have JavaScript disabled alternatives, but will never function as gracefully as it does with JavaScript enabled. There simply is not enough users with JavaScript disabled to be too concerned about it.
Data entry at this time is for register users who are loged in only. Once the registered user is logged in it is quite obvious how to enter data. Right now there is no automated registration process. I have manually registered a few users who have volunteered to help out. In the next week or so the application will be completed including automated registration.

Regards,
can8v
urban soul

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:40    Post subject:  

ok, you are right i had javascript disabled. (php and javascript on a public server oh my god). In this case Aitch is not an enduser but ok he will have his reasons.

bye
can8v

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun 2008, 20:21    Post subject:  

Thanks to the testers who have input the data for more adapters. I look forward to your feedback.
can8v
can8v

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2008, 15:23    Post subject:  

Thank you Mark2 for your contribution of the T-Link and Belkin adapters, and the positive feedback. I will implement the chanages tomorrow.
can8v
P.S. I like how you linked to the forum post for the dot pups you referenced in your setup notes. That will prove extra helpful to someone someday, I am sure of it.
carolus

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2008, 16:28    Post subject:  

Am sending this note just to express interest and gratitude. It looks like desktop computers are on their way out (except at the workplace), and a portable without wifi is not very useful.
mark2

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun 2008, 16:57    Post subject: pci ids  

after adding another version of cards that use the BCM43xx chipsets I realised that the pci ids may be helpful too, a bit late I know Sad

www.crowncarcare.co.uk
can8v

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun 2008, 09:54    Post subject:  

@carolus
Your quite welcome, I am simply doing my best to help out where I can. This community has been so helpful to me over the past couple years, that it is the least I could do.

@mark2
Not to worry I just made the modifications to the search functions that have been floated around this thread and added to the description for the driver location per your earlier suggestion. Next on the agenda is to add the editing function, which is already partially completed. I should be uploading this changes in the next day or two. I will PM you when it is uploaded and you can login, test the edit feature by adding your pci designation, then send me some feedback to let me know if I need to fine tune anything.

Kind regards,
can8v
can8v

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2008, 03:41    Post subject:  

I have moved the serarch by manufacturer above the search by date range, added some better descriptions of some of the form fields, added a user field to all of the tables in the db for tracking who has added or updated what, lengthened the field that houses the Puppy version for longer version names, and added the edit entry function.

@mark2
This means you can go into the db and add the pci designation to the adapter you were concerned about. I have also done a little bit of editing in some of the entries to test out the edit entry function, such as taking periods out of Puppy version numbers and other minor things. Please poke around and send me some feedback.
can8v

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun 2008, 03:49    Post subject:  

I added a function to check to see if the visitor is logged in or not. If the user is logged in a logout link is presented and if the user is logged out a login link is presented.
This should shorten the steps for those of you who volunteered to help test.
mark2

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2008, 11:00    Post subject:  editing  

No problem editing any fields, it's an excellent job.

www.crowncarcare.co.uk
Page 5 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: