Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 03:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy WiFi Assistant is completed!!!!!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2008, 20:45    Post subject:  

can8v wrote:
If you don't think this will resolve the question of which driver to use with each version of puppy, please clarify your "peculiarities" request, so I better understand what you are asking.

No, you're cool

I'm content to see your efforts come to fruition, and it may well be covered 'in the round' & it'll soon become clear, if it isn't

Moderation?,
dunno, I guess I was maybe expecting it to be included as a wikki page, so the 'wikki mods' would deal with it, the same as all the others - do you think it is deserving of a special case treatment? [Agreed though, that you may need to guide it/update for a while]

But it is your project......I envisage all projects like this, as a 'gift' to the puppy community, or have I got that wrong?

I find it surprising that there aren't more ideas put up

tempestuous, the wifi man?

Give this work some support, please guys!!

Aitch Smile
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2008, 00:55    Post subject:  

let anyone submit data
and have some sort of rollback or backup
shows us something as soon as possible so we we can offer feedback

"release soon and often"

good luck Cool

can8v

PostPosted: Sun 18 May 2008, 01:25    Post subject:  

@Lobster,
Quote:
let anyone submit data
and have some sort of rollback or backup
shows us something as soon as possible so we we can offer feedback

"release soon and often"

good luck Cool

I could setup a crontab to back the db up often, but if I don't notice that there is a problem (I hesitate to call it a security breech when there is no security) right away then when I roll back I loose all of the post that occur after the problem. Since I will likely only check in on this every few days that could present a real problem. Folks would be more willing to post, but maybe not after they realize they need to repost something because I lost it rolling the db back to a restore point.

Right now I have built the db populated it with four cards that I personally use and entered basic setup information for each card using several different versions of Puppy. That is basically where the db is at. I have also written about 700 lines of PHP to search and display data from the db. Right now the search by manufacturer and search by date is complete. Both search functions now work perfectly and the appropriate data from the data is displayed in a fairly appealing and easy to read/scan layout. Since the Google search and ebay search is not actually data in the db, but rather links generated using PHP and certain tidbits of data in the db I have not incorporated that just yet otherwise all of the data I have discussed in this thread to this point is being displayed for each WiFi adapter configuration. I have not started on any of the functions related to populating the db from the web only displaying the data already in the db. When I start that (next day or two) there will be many temporary security holes. After these are closed up I will upload the application from my localhost to my webserver and all interested parties will be able to browse the application and upload data and provide feedback. At my current pace I may have this completed a little earlier than anticipated.
can8v
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 18 May 2008, 23:07    Post subject:  

Sounds like a good idea. I would just add that it's important for a wifi device database to include -

i) the chipset contained in the device, which then reveals which driver is correct.

ii) the driver used. If the driver is ndiswrapper, why ndiswrapper was chosen over a native Linux driver. Was there no Linux driver available (as in the case of Marvell and SiS chipsets)? Or did the native driver not work?

iii) not only the Brand and model of device, but also the model revision. Different revisions commonly have completely different chipsets, and thus they require completely different drivers.
Far too many people assume that devices of the same model number (or even devices of the same brand) will use the same driver. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I even recall seeing a post on the forum where someone couldn't seem to grasp the notion that the D-Link DWL-G122 would use a different driver than the DWL-122 ... even though the model numbers are clearly different!

A good reference for wifi devices / chipsets / Linux drivers is
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
can8v

PostPosted: Sun 18 May 2008, 23:44    Post subject:  

@Tempestuous
All good points a one of which I overlooked in designing the db; I will have to go back and add a field for the version number. Orinoco is a very good example of several manufactures and a couple different chipsets. I should have thought of that since one of my own adapters is an Orinoco. Thank you for the input. I should have something up for you all to look at in about a week I have a super busy week coming up and my Internet has been hit and miss lately otherwise I would have it up a little sooner.
Please keep the ideas coming I will as much as is practical and I am able.
Regards,
Jason
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 04:00    Post subject:  

thanks, tempestuous

Like I keep telling people - you're the man!

Exactly as I thought, can8v needs to update the design

@can8v
I hope you didn't mind my giving tempestuous a link, causing you to redo your work,
as it was apparent he hadn't spotted the thread

I thought it better now, than later

Good job!

Aitch Smile

Last edited by Aitch on Mon 19 May 2008, 13:21; edited 1 time in total
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 12:51    Post subject:  

@Aitch
No worries. Things like adding a version to the db are only a speed bump at this point in the game. You are right it is better sooner than later. Something like that could take a few hours.

I have roughly completed the search by date and search by manufacturer. I posted the application to my personal website for interested parties to have a look.

Next I will complete the search by model and the search wizzard. The search wizzard will allow the user to enter as much known data about their system as possible and then Puppy WiFi Assistant (as I have come to call this application) will then pull up the appropriate listing. After that is completed I will upload again. Then you will not see anything until I complete the functions for updating the db from the web (how ever long that turns out to be, maybe a a day or a couple weeks). Since I might get busy, as teachers generally do this time of year, I wanted to show something for my efforts thus far. After all if you add up all the minutes here and there I am into this for almost a whole days work now.

right now I only have four WiFi adapters in the db with results from testing on a few different Puppy versions all of which have skimpy notes, but it is enough that you will start to get the idea of how the application will work. The data at this point is only there so I have something to work with during development. After the application is complete I will get some good data entered for my 6 different WiFi adapters as tested on several different versions of Puppy and start working on what is in the forum threads (that is the part that I will ask for all the help I can get).

Here is the link to the application so far:
http://salis.sutteryuba.com/WiFi.php
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 15:12    Post subject:  

I was helping the lanlord with some projects around here today and I keep thinking about this project. I came up with a new idea; instead of creating a search wizard and a search by model (which would have a really, really long list to select from after a while), I am think it would be better to use the search by manufacturer (shorter list to weed through) then provide an option narrow the list by models from that manufacturer, then provide an option to narrow the list again by model version number, then again by Puppy version. At any point along the way when the list gets down to a manageable size the user would be able to select the desired card from the list. What do you all think of that???
Or one better than that would be to let the user narrow the list each time by the field of their choosing. In fact I could add these features to the search by date feature, as well. Then I would also add a search only compatible adapters option (which would display only adapters proven to work and that have setup notes, this doesn't mean that the other cards won't work, only that nobody has uploaded instructions for making them work). If the list could be narrowed regardless of the originating search I think the three originating searches would be enough. Search by date would take care of people who just want to keep up with the latest and moderators. Search by manufacturers is a good starting place for people who already have their adapter installed, but not working. Search by compatibility would be great for those shopping for an adapter, as they could then narrow the results by Puppy version.
So what are the thoughts on this idea?
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 16:26    Post subject:  

@ can8v

1st paragraph, if I understand sounds similar to this;

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do?country=uk

which is excellent, BTW, & if this is sorta what you're intending - yes, good

I normally;
select notebook/
screen autoupdates/
select Thinkpad 570E/
screen autoupdates
etc....... until the model/rev is found, whereupon all details relating to that PC are available

Try it, you'll see

2nd paragraph, I think the idea of a 3 branch stem is good - unless something like the thing I suggested earlier of 'peculiarities', which tempestuous highlighted as hardware variations 'within model as revs' as I have experienced many times that a card works with one PC, but not another of the same model, as its not only wifi card manufacturers who do 'revs' - mobo support chips change too - darn them!
I'd just hate to see your efforts screwed by naff hardware design mods

The demo looks good so far
The 3 search button is great!

Maybe you'll need a date range from/to as you may not know exact dates?
I've often wished for something similar for the forum, when I'm trying to find something to refer to

Aitch

PS: If you could add a box which displays 'here's how to find out what hardware you have' and a script to punch into a console is displayed, or something similar, for real noob [& notsonoob, too] assist
what do you reckon?
can8v

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 17:27    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
@ can8v

1st paragraph, if I understand sounds similar to this;

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do?country=uk

which is excellent, BTW, & if this is sorta what you're intending - yes, good

Indeed, I was thinking the same thing except without AJAX, as I want someone to be able to get the information they need without JavaScript. Basically the same thing, but not quite as speedy, because of additional page refreshes. To post information I think JavaScript will be required as I will have to give up to much in order to not use it.
Aitch wrote:
I normally;
select notebook/
screen autoupdates/
select Thinkpad 570E/
screen autoupdates
etc....... until the model/rev is found, whereupon all details relating to that PC are available

Yes it is very nice. Incidentally I also have a 570E around the house somewhere. Nice little machine, but my monitor is on the fritz on that machine.

Aitch wrote:
2nd paragraph, I think the idea of a 3 branch stem is good - unless something like the thing I suggested earlier of 'peculiarities', which tempestuous highlighted as hardware variations 'within model as revs' as I have experienced many times that a card works with one PC, but not another of the same model, as its not only wifi card manufacturers who do 'revs' - mobo support chips change too - darn them!
I'd just hate to see your efforts screwed by naff hardware design mods

I think between the version number and individual setup notes for each Puppy version for each version of each model that we will be about as safe as we can be there.
Aitch wrote:
The demo looks good so far
The 3 search button is great!

Maybe you'll need a date range from/to as you may not know exact dates?

Date range? hmmm. . . good idea. Why didn't I think of that? I will have to put some thought into how I can make that a reality, or better yet maybe I should google it and use somebody elses idea of how to make that a reality.
Aitch wrote:
I've often wished for something similar for the forum, when I'm trying to find something to refer to

Aitch

PS: If you could add a box which displays 'here's how to find out what hardware you have' and a script to punch into a console is displayed, or something similar, for real noob [& notsonoob, too] assist
what do you reckon?

Actually, I was planning on taking Lobster's idea (I think it was Lobster's) of having a blog for the purpose of having more general instructions available. Then I would like to make certain blog post linked to appropriate pages (similar to making a forum post sticky, so that it stays available all the time). Perhaps the WiFi assistant could be renamed to WiFiAssistant.php and the blog could be WiFiBlog.php. I will think about this some more, upon rethinking this solution, it does sound a little complicated. Maybe I should build out a few pages with my CMS and link them into the Puppy WiFi Assistant. I think perhaps Tempestuous should have the honor of coming up with the copy for those pages though. Almost all I know about WiFi in Linux I owe to him.
can8v
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 18:12    Post subject:  

Almost sorry I'm the only f/b

glad you like the i/p, hope it's useful

Not so keen on the java though [many puppys still struggle with this & flash] - too many people disable it, as with activeX, or IE - like adverts ; who needs em

I find just having something/one to bounce ideas off, keeps the juices flowing

Quote:
Almost all I know about WiFi in Linux I owe to him.

snap

he da man! Laughing

Date range - courtesy paypal , never seen it?

/aside

you have a 570E, we have more in common? Wink

interesting website BTW

Aitch
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 18:54    Post subject:  

here is paypal sample

showing is drop down box with choice day/week/month/year

blocked by it, underneath [sorry, my bad] is the from/to[start date/end date] boxes

HTH

Aitch
payplsampl2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.41 KB
 Viewed   358 Time(s)

payplsampl2.jpg

WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 19:24    Post subject:  

Here is driverguide.com's simple 3-step solution to finding drivers for Window$. You could do worse than following that example, especially since the number of drivers for WiFi in Puppy is likely to be very much smaller than their ambitious database.
Step 1 - Select your company name:

Step 2 - Type in the device model / keyword

Step 3 - Download your driver / read the notes

can8v

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 00:21    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
here is paypal sample

showing is drop down box with choice day/week/month/year

blocked by it, underneath [sorry, my bad] is the from/to[start date/end date] boxes

HTH

Aitch

I think you misunderstood me. I understand the concept the part I need to give some thought to and google around about is the PHP scripting involved. I have to give a little thought to what the best MySQL query would look like. I won't be to difficult, I just never thought about it like that before. I am going to be really busy this week, but I think I will be able to get back to this project and get a few hours in on Wednesday. I hope to switch the date search to a date range at that time as well as the other methods I discussed for narrowing the search parameters down. If not definitely by the weekend. Next week I am really hoping to find time to build the PHP scripts for updating and editing the db from the web.
can8v
P.S. Aitch, thanks for all the input throughout this project it has really spurred me on to think that at least few others have really taken an interest in it.
Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 20 May 2008, 05:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me.

I just thought, if you had access to a paypal page you could use firefox's pagesource code copy facility.....

no matter, I think you are more than capable, having seen your other stuff on your webpage

Quote:
Aitch, thanks for all the input throughout this project it has really spurred me on to think that at least few others have really taken an interest in it.

No problem, glad to be of support Smile

no hurry/no worry Laughing

Aitch
Page 2 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: