(FIXED) unresolved symbols building kernel modules

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
ntrel

(FIXED) unresolved symbols building kernel modules

#1 Post by ntrel »

Hi,
I've compiled 2 different kernel modules [with Puppy 1.0.5 and usr_devx.sfs], both of them seem to build fine, but when it's time to run depmod or modprobe them, I get unresolved symbol errors.
I'm trying to get the Conexant Riptide sound card working in Puppy - so I've built both a Linuxant OSS driver and an ALSA 1.0.10rc1 driver. (I realise the OSS one would fit Puppy better). I think that both of them are suffering from the same problem:

OSS:
Re-compilation and installation of RIPTIDE modules succeeded.
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/riptideint.o
depmod: mem_map_R83874794
depmod: zone_table_R9eb2059e
depmod: init_mm_R13a8b1ff
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/riptidelow.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/riptidesound.o
depmod: register_sound_dsp_R6d5fe6f4
depmod: no_llseek_Rd8d28fa3
depmod: register_sound_mixer_R7dcd8da8
depmod: __pollwait_R13188e4e

ALSA:
# modprobe snd-riptide
Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: unresolved symbol vmalloc_to_page_R41573ff4
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: unresolved symbol mem_map_R83874794
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: unresolved symbol create_proc_entry_R2638bb49
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: unresolved symbol zone_table_R9eb2059e
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: unresolved symbol remove_proc_entry_Ra9ed6f89
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.29/misc/snd-page-alloc.o: insmod snd-riptide failed

Beforehand I setup a vanilla kernel-2.4.29 - ran make mrproper, copied the Puppy config file in /lib (this seems to have the puppy 1.0.4 suffix, not 1.0.5?) to .config before running make oldconfig, make dep. I didn't use the NTFS or squashfs patch - could this be the problem? Also i didn't actually build the kernel image as I guessed this might be unnecessary.

Any clues as to what I've done wrong?
Thanks,
ntrel
Last edited by ntrel on Sun 09 Oct 2005, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

ntrel

apply patches or use /usr/src/linux/

#2 Post by ntrel »

Success!
I've now rebuilt the Linuxant Riptide OSS driver, and sound works. I'd overlooked that usr_devx.sfs contains /usr/src/linux somehow (when I was upgrading from 1.0.4 I had problems getting the sfs to mount - had to delete the old pup0 file).
I'm pretty sure the problem was that I hadn't patched the kernel - reading the updated info on Barry's site re: compiling kernel modules it seems obvious now - 'you must apply these patches!'.
Anyway, /usr/src/linux contains the include/ subdir but not drivers/ so I symlinked drivers/ from the full source I'd downloaded to /usr/src/linux/ - the OSS driver built with no unresolved symbols. (I guess the patches don't directly affect the sound driver headers). I've yet to rebuild ALSA.
For completeness, I've uploaded a .tar.gz of the OSS binary modules, attached to the 5th post on this thread:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=