Puppy 4 Beta 2

Please post any bugs you have found
linuxcbon

#76 Post by linuxcbon »

When running pprocess :

Code: Select all

# pprocess 
sh: locate: command not found
And pprocess appears twice in process manager.

Also got "sleep 10" and "sleep 4" in process manager. Dont know why.

rerwin

SmartLink driver update for special requirement - NOT NEEDED

#77 Post by rerwin »

EDIT 4/28: Further analysis shows that the ALSA modems that the script supports will be handled last and only if no other modem drivers are detected. The requirement applies only to the ALSA modems, so that they are not used if another modem is supplied. Please disregard the attachment.
Richard

Barry,
In response to the requirement that "A Smartlink modem should only be chosen if there is no alternative driver found.", here is the slmodem update I promised you in my PM. If any alternatives are found, they are removed.

Before setting up for the SmartLink modem (USB or PCI) the slmodem script removes any other modem drivers that might also be loaded in addition to the SL driver(s). It also avoids the need to rename slmodem to zzslmodem, because now it does not have to run last. I included removal of the new agr... modem drivers. I excluded USB-serial converters (like pl2303) because they could be used for other serial devices.

I have tested with the SL USB modem and an intel536, successfully both with and without the fix. But this should avoid surprises.

I inserted the following line after line 14:

for onemodule in agrserial agrmodem cdc_acm esscom Intel536 Intel537 ltserial ltmodem mwave pctel; do modprobe.bin -rq $onemodule; done  #v3.99 remove any other modem drivers, but not for usb-serial converters - As new modem drivers are added to Puppy, include their names in this "for" list.
The script and its difference listing are attached.

Please consider this for the final, as it is a minimal and seemingly low-risk change. Thanks.
Richard

BTW, using "modprobe -r" for the drivers resulted in their scripts being copied from zdrv to /etc/init.d. Shouldn't removals be sent directly to modprobe.bin, since no special treatment is needed?
Attachments
slmodem_update_to_3.99.tar.gz
To test, copy file slmodem to /etc/init.d/.
It belongs ultimately in the zdrv /lib/all-firmware-all/slmodem... folder.
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 28 Apr 2008, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#78 Post by John Doe »

linuxcbon wrote:When running pprocess :

# pprocess 
sh: locate: command not found
that happens when a gtk app can't find an image it's trying to display.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

deleted
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 27 Apr 2008, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#80 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:Upgrading multisession Puppy 3.01 DVD to Dingo 4 beta 2 breaks SeaMonkey.

To upgrade, I boot the 3.01 multisession DVD, use burniso2cd to burn the Dingo iso to a DVD+RW, then shut down. As I understand it, Puppy then automagically saves the part of 3.01 that's in RAM, as the first session on the Dingo DVD. When I boot the Dingo DVD, it asks a few questions and tells me there are some missing dependencies and what it thinks they are (a very helpful touch, by the way. :) ) But when I click on the "browse" icon, nothing happens. I open a console and type "mozilla", and get this:
# mozilla
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 13695 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
#
I reboot the multisession Dingo DVD, only this time with "puppy pfix=ram". Dingo boots clean, I run the connect wizard, and SeaMonkey opens when the 'browse' icon is clicked. So it appears there's nothing wrong with the SeaMonkey in either 3.01 or Dingo beta 2, but upgrading somehow breaks SeaMonkey.

I really like the new mounting scheme, which shows all the partitions right on the desktop. :)
Flash,
Would you mind setting up that scenario again, Running 3.01, burn new 4.00b2 DVD, reboot.

Then, look at
/initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib/mozilla
/initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib/seamonkey

and let me know if these exist and if so what's in them. Also report if they are symlinks, and to where.

GeorgR

Kernel Errors with Nebula DVB T

#81 Post by GeorgR »

Puppy 399 is running very well. But when searching a solution for viewing DVB TV I found this Kernel Errors:

Message Log:
user.warn kernel: bt878_probe: card id=[0x1010071],[ Nebula Electronics DigiTV ] has DVB functions.
user.warn kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (bttv0).
user.err kernel: DVB: Unable to find symbol nxt6000_attach()
user.err kernel: DVB: Unable to find symbol mt352_attach()
user.warn kernel: dvb-bt8xx: A frontend driver was not found for device 109e/0878 subsystem 0071/0101

Is it only a missing link error or the driver for this chipsets are not included in puppy?

linuxcbon

#82 Post by linuxcbon »

# fmradioshell
/usr/local/bin/fmradioshell: line 9: /usr/local/bin/fmradio: No such file or directory

# gtklogfileviewer
Segmentation fault

oli

#83 Post by oli »

PPPOE without Roaring Penguin (see my problem at a previous posting).
I did some more experiments with pppoe-setup and pppoe-start. I found out that it doesn't matter if you enter the IP of a real nameserver or just four numbers, e.g. 255.255.255.255. It is only important that you enter an IP and not the word "server". Then pppoe-start will work. There seems to be a bug in pppoe-setup or pppoe-start if you enter "server" (even though this would be right if you use dynamic IP from your DSL-provider and no DHCP) instead of an IP. I hope I have narrowed down the problem enough for you so that you can fix it now.

zygo

#84 Post by zygo »

linuxcbon,

What do you use fmradioshell for? I had tried (a few months back) to bring my usb-controlled radio to life

Manufacturer=GemTek Corp
Product=USB FM Radio
VendorID=04b4  ProductID=1002  KERNEL-MODULE=dsbr100
I installed xmms but couldn't get it to work the radio.

linuxcbon

#85 Post by linuxcbon »

zygo I dont use fmradioshell, can you test it on beta2 ?
Barry, I would like to test the new xorg_xorg_dri, when will it be there ?

zygo

#86 Post by zygo »

CUPS
I have to restart the cups server to get it to list changes to /usr/share/cups/model/ ie the addition of HP-DeskJet_Plus-deskjet.ppd.

Xorg
I have a widescreen that I can't get to work at its optimum 1440x900 so I selected 1024x768 and test in the wizard. This then reports 1440x900 and the display is squashed into what looks like a 1024 wide space. And it still has the vertical blurs that made me abandon 1440x900. Clicking Xvidtune simply closes the wizard.

Ignoring my vista sata hdd
Can I add kernel boot parameters eg 'puppy sda=none' as implied here (eg for hda)
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-7.html . Is the appearance of the sda1,2,3 icons on the desktop proof that it didn't work or will the drive be probed again by pmount (or whatever makes the icons) in any case. BTW I have no evidence that Puppy makes vista misbehave. It does however misbehave if you type ctrl-alt-del while it's booting - quality os.

Barry, Could you add picocom (9kB) to the livecd to help with modem troubleshooting.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

zygo wrote:Barry, Could you add picocom (9kB) to the livecd to help with modem troubleshooting.
Done.

Note, there is already another utility that you an use, 'modem-stats'. There is also a help file, /usr/share/doc/modem-stats.htm

BarryK
Puppy Master

#88 Post by BarryK »

Ok, here is a bugfix for Roaring Penguin PPPoE for testing.

This also has a basic GUI, that appears in the Network menu.

You have to unpack the tarball then manually copy the files to their destinations. Note that 'pppoe-setup' has been modified.

After doing that, run this:
# fixmenus
then restart JWM and it will be in the menu.

If you setup the situation that caused the bug, that is, nothing in /etc/resolv.conf, and when the setup script asks for a nameserver and you enter 'server' then it should now work. (fingers crossed).

Thnks to oli for providing the info I needed to sort this out.

Let me know how it goes.
Attachments
rp_pppoe_cli-3.8-patched2.tar.gz
(149.29 KiB) Downloaded 527 times

Leon

#89 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:Let me know how it goes.
Both pppoe_gui and pppoe-setup work fine for me.

How I tested:

- started Puppy4beta2 using pfix=ram
- unpacked the tarball and manually copied the files to their destinations
- in rxvt started pppoe_gui and clicked SETUP
- typed my ADSL settings without specifying ISP's, just pressed Enter
- in pppoe_gui window clicked START - connected
- in pppoe_gui window clicked STATUS - status displayed
- in pppoe_gui window clicked STOP - connection stopped

I also modified and tested /usr/sbin/connectwizard. Works fine.

Modified version is attached.

EDIT

Installation:

1. Unpack the rp_pppoe_cli-3.8-patched2.tar.gz tarball made by Barry and attached to his previous post and manually copy the files to their destinations.
2. Rename original /usr/sbin/connectwizard to /usr/sbin/connectwizard.bkp
3. Unpack the connectwizard_with_rp-pppoe-option-0.2.tar.gz tarball attached to this post and manually copy the file connectwizard to /usr/sbin folder.
4. Right-click the desktop 'connect' icon and click the 'Execute the Internet Connection Wizard' option from the shortcut menu.
5. In the Internet Connection Wizard window click the 'Roaring Penguin RP-PPPoE (ADSL)' option button and click OK.
Attachments
connectwizard_with_rp-pppoe-option-0.2.tar.gz
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
connectwizard_with_rp-pppoe-0.1.png
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 1208 times
Last edited by Leon on Mon 28 Apr 2008, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

oli

#90 Post by oli »

@Barry: I still have the same problem with configuring pppoe even if I use your gui. I must enter an IP of a DNS for the initial configuration (you know the details). But I can live with that and perhaps you can add a sentence to pppoe-setup that the users should try to enter a DNS-IP instead of "server" (and make a hint of a DNS-IP please).

Leon

#91 Post by Leon »

oli wrote:I must enter an IP of a DNS for the initial configuration (you know the details).
It works for me. At DNS prompt I just pressed Enter.

It is important to test it in Puppy started with pfix=ram, to unpack rp_pppoe_cli-3.8-patched2.tar.gz tarball and to copy the files to their destinations to overwrite all existing rp-pppoe files that are already installed with Puppy.

oli

#92 Post by oli »

Leon, you are right. Althoug pppoe-setup says you have to enter "server" you must leave it blank. If I enter nothing and press return only everything is fine. So I would suggest that Barry changes the description of pppoe-setup.

One interesting thing with your connectwizard: If I use it with Puppy 2.14 it looks like your screenshot. If I use it with Puppy 4.0 beta it looks like the attached pic (pppoe is already configured and I'm online).
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(36.03 KiB) Downloaded 2606 times

Leon

#93 Post by Leon »

oli wrote:One interesting thing with your connectwizard: If I use it with Puppy 2.14 it looks like your screenshot. If I use it with Puppy 4.0 beta it looks like the attached pic (pppoe is already configured and I'm online).
I uploaded a new version and the installation instructions.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 403#193403

BarryK
Puppy Master

#94 Post by BarryK »

There may be a problem if you type just the ENTER key instead of "server". It may setup PPPoE not to obtain the nameservers from the ISP.

It still works because I have written the free nameserver to /etc/resolv.conf. But, that's not really the right thing.

Could you check that, start with nothing in /etc/resolv.conf, press just the ENTER key instead of typing "server", and see if it gets the nameservers from the isp.

Leon

#95 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:Could you check that, start with nothing in /etc/resolv.conf, press just the ENTER key instead of typing "server", and see if it gets the nameservers from the isp.
Works fine for me.

Checked with fresh install. At DNS prompt just pressed ENTER.

This is the contents of my /etc/resolv.conf file created after starting internet connection for the first time:

nameserver 193.189.160.13
nameserver 193.189.160.23

This are the nameservers from my ISP.