Puppy 4 Beta 2

Please post any bugs you have found
Sooty2

Wireless networking

#31 Post by Sooty2 »

The networking wizard works OK for me on a Gigabyte AirCruiserG, although I seem to need to run it twice to get all the settings in place and saved.

Run wizard..select wireless wlan0..scan network..select network..set up and save ssid and wpa / tkip settings with password..wizard attempts network connection..times out and falls over.

Run wizard..select auto dhcp..and away she goes.

With 3.01 I had to use WAG to connect, so the wizard does the trick for me now.
I Will have another play to see if I can get all it in one step.

Congrats to Barry and the team for their hard work...it's lookin' good!

Regards, Sooty2

flynch

Wireless

#32 Post by flynch »

Wireless works on my Elite Group Model A535 Prism2 Module without any problems. Thanks

flynch
flynch

drongo

Password for Lock icon

#33 Post by drongo »

Reported this in Beta 1. When I click on the "Lock" icon the password screen doesn't accept any input from the keyboard- or at least it doesn't print out letters or asterisks. It will accept "carriage return/enter" and I can use "carriage return" to unlock "lava blobs".

Keyboard works OK in console. Running puppy pfix=ram from a live CD.

drongo

NathanO

#34 Post by NathanO »

Would like the 'chat' to default to IRC #puppylinux like the 3.0x series for new users, just have it prompt for a screen name.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#35 Post by Flash »

Upgrading multisession Puppy 3.01 DVD to Dingo 4 beta 2 breaks SeaMonkey.

To upgrade, I boot the 3.01 multisession DVD, use burniso2cd to burn the Dingo iso to a DVD+RW, then shut down. As I understand it, Puppy then automagically saves the part of 3.01 that's in RAM, as the first session on the Dingo DVD. When I boot the Dingo DVD, it asks a few questions and tells me there are some missing dependencies and what it thinks they are (a very helpful touch, by the way. :) ) But when I click on the "browse" icon, nothing happens. I open a console and type "mozilla", and get this:
# mozilla
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 13695 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
#
I reboot the multisession Dingo DVD, only this time with "puppy pfix=ram". Dingo boots clean, I run the connect wizard, and SeaMonkey opens when the 'browse' icon is clicked. So it appears there's nothing wrong with the SeaMonkey in either 3.01 or Dingo beta 2, but upgrading somehow breaks SeaMonkey.

I really like the new mounting scheme, which shows all the partitions right on the desktop. :)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Wallpaper again

#36 Post by Béèm »

geneven wrote:I'm sorry that the interesting wallpaper has been removed and boring wallpaper has been substituted, at least that's what I found when I did an installation to my usb stick.

It's not optimized for Puppy and otherwise may not be suitable, but I like the attached picture I took as background.

It's from Montserrat, a Catholic Monastery near Barcelona, Spain. Go there if you get a chance.
Hi,
Can you edit your post, delete your current picture here and resize it on your PC to a max width of 700 and upload the picture again.
There are still people with 14" screens so the picture is running off the screen.
Thank you.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

GeoW

Ayttm? Are you talking to me?

#37 Post by GeoW »

NathanO,

Barry's current choice for default chat client needs some work before
it could be called user friendly - much less NewB friendly.

At this point it comes up slowly and you need to manually log on to
each channel. ( There is a check box for autologin but it doesn't
have any effect for me. )

Unfortunately, I think the only time Barry uses chat is when he is
testing for functionality. This probably means we will need to put
in some community effort to bring ayttm up to Puppy standards.

By the way, if you are on irc.freenode.net using Xchat ( or Gaim
I think ) and you type /j #ayttm it will put you in a chat room called
#ayttm. It will not show up in the list but you will be able to chat
with others who have done it too. I guess freenode generates
a temporary chat room. I currently have Xchat set up to autolog
me into #ayttm.

GeoW

YoN

About JWM file's FONT tag "DejaVu Sans-12"

#38 Post by YoN »

About JWM file's FONT tag "DejaVu Sans-12"

I am translating Puppy into Japanese.

When making it to Japanese, JWM has the problem from 4.00alpha for a long time.

It is "The Japanese Menu and the title of the window bars are garbled".

The cause is "DejaVu Sans-12" of the FONT tag of the ".jwmrc" file.

When the hyphen is lost and this is assumed to be "DejaVu Sans 12", Japanese is correctly displayed.

I am similarly correcting other "/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal2" file and "/root/.jwm/themes/*-jwmrc" files.

It was "DejaVu Sans 12" in old versions.

Why did it become "DejaVu Sans-12"?

Please correct without putting the hyphen if there is no special reason as "DejaVu Sans 12".

YoN

dogone

pstopwatch freezes occassionally in beta 2

#39 Post by dogone »

Pstopwatch locks up occasionally, generally in the first minute or two, leaving five processes behind (see below).

I've yet to have pstopwatch fail when run from a terminal but that could just be good luck. I'll continue testing.
Attachments
pstopwatch.jpg
Pprocess report following pstopwatch failure.
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 1268 times

dogone

Seamonkey forgets the Mouse Gestures plug-in after reboot

#40 Post by dogone »

Seamonkey 1.1.8 accepts my two 'must have' plug-ins, Mouse Gestures and NoScript. Installation is flawless and both work after the browser is restarted. Seamonkey however forgets the Gestures plug-in when Dingo is rebooted.

Reinstalling Mouse Gestures works, but Seamonkey advises that the plug-in is already installed and offers to "update" it.. Gestures works again after a browser restart.

I'm not certain this is a Puppy problem, but it did not happen in beta 1.

Update: The Gestures plug-in has now survived a Puppy reboot, so I'm not certain what to think. I'll wait, see and report.

Update: The Gestures plug-in has now survived numerous reboots.
Last edited by dogone on Thu 24 Apr 2008, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.

oli

#41 Post by oli »

I assume the the problem with configuring wired DSL (without a router and with dynamic IP) still lasts. With Puppy 4.0 alpha and beta1 pppoe with wired DSL doesn't work and I didn't read that Barry has fixed this bug. That's why I repeat the bug again.

This is what I did within a shell:

- ifconfig eth0 up
- pppoe-setup (I entered the same values as in my running Puppy 2.14-configuration)
- pppoe-start

But I cannot connet to the internet.

In the meantime I found the problem. The problem is that the file /etc/resolv.conf is missing after executing pppoe-start. Instead of this file there is a symbolic link to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf. And this is a symbolic link back to /etc/resolv.conf. Both links direct to each other. You have to copy your resolv.conf (e.g. from Puppy 2.14) to /etc everytime you execute pppoe-start.

For Puppy newbies (without an old Puppy) the question is, how to get the file /etc/resolv.conf if you cannot copy this file from an old Puppy 2.x.

I hope Barry will fix this problem now, otherwise wired DSL isn't usable.

P.S. For newbies it would be good if you could configure wired DSL (without router and with dynamic IP) within the Puppy network wizard instead of using the shell.

GeoW

#42 Post by GeoW »

oli,

I am in Dingo Beta 2 now. but I don't use pppoe-start.

I have a real file /etc/resolv.conf

so pehhaps your solution for NewBs would be to
copy this file before you run pppoe-start
and then restore it afterwards?

HTH,

GeoW

barriew

Printing to Windows printer - not working?

#43 Post by barriew »

Although 4.0Beta2 includes smbspool, when trying to add a printer the 'Windows printer via Samba' option doesn't appear in the list.

This worked in 2.14 after adding smbspool, but I never got this working in 3.01, and this is the first Dingo version I have tried.

Barrie

linuxcbon

#44 Post by linuxcbon »

I am not used to Ayttm, it is smaller but doesnt seem easy to use ? I am still using pidgin. Until I learn how to use Ayttm.
Can you please include both ?

Also opening pictures with viewer.

ferikenagy

same bugs beta2/beta1 on inspiron 1526

#45 Post by ferikenagy »

on my laptop dell inspiron 1526 nothing new from beta to beta2, the same hardware not working as i issued in: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=150

-Broadcom BCM 4311 (14e4:4311) wifi not working with deprecated "bcm43xx" & "ieee80211..."modules
- Sigmatel STAC9228Codec.(SB600) audio doesn't work with "snd_hda_intel"module
-ATI Radeon X1270. video doesn't work in 1280x800 resolution xorg&vesa
- modem is Conexant HDA D330 MDC not recognized (soft http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/modem-drivers/hsf, not included)
-Creative laptop webcam OV2640 2.0 megpix (05a9:2640) wasn't recognized (no "uvcvideo" module from http://linux-uvc.berlios.de included in dingo. )

it seems that I had to wait for kubuntu/xubuntu 8.04 (in about 2 days)
in that distribution all modules & hardware seems to be working ok, And I am forced to run my favorite puppy distro only under virtualization on this laptop (no sound, no wifi, no proper video...no alternative)

albert.tong

Puppy universal installer bug

#46 Post by albert.tong »

First post here, I came across Puppy 3.01 and now uses it regularly on my ancient IBM Thinkpad 235 (with Wifi!) and have been very very impressed.

Have been using a Thinkpad T60 to test Dingo Beta 1 and Beta 2 Live-CDs and the same bug occurred when I tried Frugal install to a SanDisk 256Mb CF card connected via a PCMCIA adapter (to use on the Thinkpad 235 since it doesn't have a bootable CD-rom drive):

Selected "Internal IDE/SATA Flash drive" option in Universal Installer and followed the windows until the one that says "Press OK button to install Puppy (note, there will be one or two more dialog windows before you have to commit to the actual install)...", pressed OK, windows disappears and the process ends. I have been doing the same with 3.01 and it works everytime.

On the other hand, there was a bug in Ayttm in Beta 1, it did not show any chat services and this has been fixed in Beta 2. :)

HairyWill

#47 Post by HairyWill »

Pwireless chokes on a couple APs near me whose SSID="<hidden>" the angle brackets cause gtkdialog to crash and the program keeps looping for a minute or 2 until one of the scans doesn't pick up those APs.

I see two areas for action from this.
1) Handle an ESSID of <hidden>
2) If there is a risk of gtkdialog crashing then it is not safe to keep looping if the EXIT variable is not set.

It is probably best to guard against any ESSID with an angle bracket in it. Replacing line 149 with this should do the job

Code: Select all

ESSID2=`echo "$ESSID" | sed 's/\"//g;s/</\\\</g;s/>/\\\>/g'`
The display isn't pretty as gtkdialog displays a backslash but it should be safe. Obviously this will cause a problem if you want to connect to the hidden AP but I don't think you would be using Pwireless to do that anyway. I can't see a good reason for having a hidden ESSID. I tried using proper xml replacements for the brackets but gtkdialog just displayed the raw entity code.

Using the network wizard to connect my ipw2200 wep wireless I have found that the first time I click "use this profile" it reports failed to connect, the second time, it works. I haven't tested whether it has really failed to connect or whether it is a bug in the testing of the connection.

On the plus side the other half's Inspiron 630m now boots without having to specify acpi=off, the widescreen and battery monitor work out of the box. It has been a while since I tried this so I presume that the acpi stuff was fixed in the revision that lead to this kernel. It boots in under 35 seconds from USB stick.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

barriew

Wifi problems

#48 Post by barriew »

My wifi card uses the zd1211rw driver which is loaded correctly by Dingo beta2. Booting directly from the CD, I can use the Network Wizard to set up the card, get an IP and connect to the internet.
However, with either a Frugal or Full disk installation I have problems.
Using the Network Wizard, ‘scan for networks’ then ‘use’ comes back with unable to connect, but if I try Test Eth1 I get ‘Puppy was able to find…’ Auto DHCP gives Network Configuration of eth1 successful’, but I don’t actually have connectivity.
Trying Pwireless scanner does find my network, and reports the eth1 IP as 169.254.20.85. Hitting Connect gives me the IP I expected 192.168.0.3 and I can connect to the internet.
If I reboot, I again have no connectivity, Pwireless shows eth1 with a different IP, but after hitting Connect, I get online again.

The IP I get initially from Pwireless seems to be in the 169.254 range, but not the same each time.

I need to take advantage of our improving weather :) , so will try the Puppy 3.01 wizard some other time.

Barrie

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

NathanO wrote:Would like the 'chat' to default to IRC #puppylinux like the 3.0x series for new users, just have it prompt for a screen name.
Ah, someone will have to work out how to pre-configure Ayttm to do that, and with a auto-generated username probably, like we had back in Gaim.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#50 Post by BarryK »

GeoW wrote:oli,

I am in Dingo Beta 2 now. but I don't use pppoe-start.

I have a real file /etc/resolv.conf

so pehhaps your solution for NewBs would be to
copy this file before you run pppoe-start
and then restore it afterwards?

HTH,

GeoW
Yes, perhaps you could cook up a little wrapper script that does that, and restores everything as-is afterward. Need to be careful about changing the arrangement of /etc/rsolv.conf as it may mess up wvdial or something else, so a wrapper for rp-pppoe would be good.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]