(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 05 Dec 2020, 01:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Pupeez 1.0 ** NEW PUPLET**
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 8 [107 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
John Lewis

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr 2008, 09:06    Post subject:  

tinawina,
Further to my last post

This post is being made via wireless using the Tp-link Tl-WN620G.

Heres what to do.

1) Open the Driver CD and go to the winXP drivers.look for athfmwdl.inf
and tl-wn620g.inf.
2) open a terminal in that directory and type the following:

ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf (you should get a message that it is
installing.)

now ndiswrapper -i tl-wn620g.inf (you should get message it is
installing.)

Type modprobe ndiswrapper.

3) plug in the TP-Link device. The light should start to blink.

Type iwconfig and you should see wlan0.

now click the puppy connect icon, look for wlan0 click it and proceed to set up the interface.

I have just done this a few minutes ago using Puppy 3.0 on a disk. and it is working now as you see.

You will need to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local by adding modprobe ndiswrapper so that ndiswrapperis loaded at start up.

I think you will need to start Puppy before you plug in the stick. perhaps not.

Hope this helps,

John Lewis
Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr 2008, 10:32    Post subject:  

Hi Sage
Quote:
Hands up all those folks who are old enough to remember the humble Nascom. What fun it was looking at all the registers on the screen

"Please, sir," is my natural response to that
but yes, I have a walking stick & glasses, too Laughing
My favourite was the cp/m'd trs80
Always thought it a shame dec didn't get into supporting micros

we could all be using cp/m instead!

sorry for the aside topic, it was him Laughing

Aitch
jonyo

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr 2008, 22:30    Post subject: Re: TP-Link USB: Pupscan Interface Info recognizes...somethi  

tinawina wrote:
P.S. I'm looking into other adapter options and came across this one: Comtrend RT2500 54 Mbps Wireless PCMCIA card (Ralink RT2500 chipset, for which there is a GPL driver, with no proprietary firmware needed). Wondering if this might be an answer - any thoughts?

Rt2500 (d-link & linksys usb adapters) using the win drivers & ndiswrapper (c/w pup) is pretty much what i use. Works great on everything from 2.11 to 3.01 with wep 64 hex.

Last edited by jonyo on Tue 29 Apr 2008, 08:21; edited 1 time in total
smokey01

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2008, 03:49    Post subject:  

nutts4life wrote:

Pupeez is for ease of use and i feel that it's actually easier to use online web apps than to use local apps.

google apps and zoho apps are seriously impressive and easy to use and free.

google email + yahoo email is far easier to use than the having to setup a pop3 account.

n4l.

n4l, I agree the web apps are getting much better these days however, what they don't provide is offline creation of messages. If they do I'm not aware how to do it. I do like GMail but if I could write ten messages then only spend a minute or two sending and receiving I would be very happy. Time on line can cost quite a lot of money in some locations.

I also like to be able to save some of my messages locally.

I also agree with sage, we are controlled by too many greedy companies. When Windows took too much of my computing control that's when we parted company and I haven't been happier. Thanks to Barry and the rest of the guys like yourself, there are better alternative available.

Sometimes we just need a little push. Remember the last time your HDD crashed? It always made me angry at the time but gave me the opportunity to clean up the system.

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Smokey
cat

PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008, 12:38    Post subject: german keymap
Subject description: [shift]3 gives # instead of §

Hej nutts4life!
I appreciate your approach of designing a low-end-machine puplet including Opera, really the ideal configuration for me. Thanks!
I found that there is a minor issue with the german keymap, though (had the same problem with Damnsmalllinux, so I guess it's a faulty keymap base; no problems with this in Puppy 3.01): [shift]3 should result in §, but I get # instead. Since I occasionally use this in passwords, I'd appreciate an update in versions to come.
I haven't explored Pupeez in full detail, but I'm looking forward to it. First impression is more speed than original PuppyLinux on my Celeron 400, so a big thumbs up from me! Very Happy
tinawina

PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008, 18:49    Post subject: TP-Link USB Adapter is UP AND RUNNING  

Thanks John Lewis! I am typing this note using Puppeez and my TP-Link USB adapter! Wow - i think it's been about 2 weeks of attempts. Sheesh!

John - your post was right on target. One thing that might be helpful to other folks trying to use this adapter: the CD that came with my adapter did not include the tl-wn620g.inf file. Weird but true. I typed that filename into google and came up with this site where you can download the complete drivers and etc. for free (you have to go through about 6 or 7 annoying ad "offers"...). Here's the site:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=560869&action=filfo

With these files everything John wrote is all you need to do. Thanks again John for your specific instructions and to everyone else who gave advice. Much appreciated!
sojourner

PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008, 21:11    Post subject:
Subject description: download link?

I keep getting an error message when I try to access http://puppylinux.ca/members/Pupeez/

Is there another download site for getting the Pupeez download?

Thanks.
John Lewis

PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008, 22:37    Post subject:  

"Thanks John Lewis! I am typing this note using Puppeez and my TP-Link USB adapter! Wow - i think it's been about 2 weeks of attempts. Sheesh! "

Hello tinawina,

Glad to help you get up and running.

I found the information about the files and the order to load them in here in the Puppy forum somewhere. Unfortunately it didn't say how to load them though. So my contribution is really just to collate the information provided by others.

Enjoy,
John Lewis
jonyo

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2008, 15:36    Post subject:  

Dunno why, but sometimes when you look at a file in win, it doesn't show as an .inf file, but in linux, the same file does show as an .inf file.

I open the files in win & sometimes then, you can see if it is an.inf file or not.
Aitch

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2008, 17:43    Post subject:  

@sojourner

link down

I've pm'd nuts4life

Aitch
nutts4life

PostPosted: Tue 06 May 2008, 07:34    Post subject:  

Aitch, thanks for pointing that out. I don't understand why the directory structure isn't working anymore.

Get it from:
http://puppylinux.ca/members/index.php?dir=Pupeez%2F

Instead, or

http://puppylinux.ca/members/

and click on Pupeez.

Thanks,

nutts4life.
micah1_8

PostPosted: Mon 19 May 2008, 10:59    Post subject: Loving Pupeez, but...  

Kudos on an excellent puplet! I'm really liking pupeez for it's simplicity and light weight. I've not really missed most of the apps you've removed. I agree with replacing the chat software with an online app, it seems to make sense to me, and I love Opera as a web browser. I will be installing the gimp, though. I'm running this pupeez on a Gateway Solo 2150 and have noticed a few snags. Some problems I've been having:

Games don't load. <not a big problem, just noticed.
Sound doesn't work. <not specifically a pupeez problem, I've noticed it with other versions of puppy. Still haven't found a fix.
Won't play .mpg or .avi files <need libraries loaded? How?

Otherwise, it's a great little distro and I look forward to more development.
nutts4life

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 05:44    Post subject:  

Keeping you up to date.

I haven't lost touch with you fellow pupeez 1.0 users. I'm taking all your comments down.

At the moment i'm working on a completely new pupeez based on puppy 4.0.

It's going to be very different from pupeez 1.0, but will have the same common goals:

- Larger (designed for frugal install on a 256Mb RAM PC)
- Firefox 3, Thunderbird, Abiword, Fotox
- I've decided to remove a music player as i don't think this fits with the philosophy.
- xfce4
- Support for most multimedia codecs

This time i'm going focus on more simplicisty and seperate a technical user from the person who just wants to use the software.
I will also be adding the ability to remote support the OS using VPN and VNC software.

It's going to be a couple more months. But hold tight, it's looking great so far!

thanks,

n4l
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 06:21    Post subject:  

Couple of suggestions:
FF3 - maybe, maybe not. Please review the sixteen alternatives in puppyluvr's '12 browser' in this section. There are better, smaller, faster. A lot of folks around here prefer Opera - including YT.
Thunderbird - definitely not, a veritable dinosaur, nothing but trouble, feature-lean. That branch of Mozilla were gifted Eudora, the professionals' first choice, a year or so ago, but so far have failed miserably to bring it to the Linux table. In the meantime, Claws/Sylpheed is well-liked, but there is a plethora of others.
MM codecs is excellent. Xfce is the connoisseurs' preference every time, but please be sure to check that it contains the complete settings manager suite and that this is accessible - don't laugh, you'd be amazed at some of the dumb attempts at modifying it abound in supposedly competent distros, including F9, would you believe!
Aitch

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul 2008, 07:13    Post subject:  

jonyo wrote:
Dunno why, but sometimes when you look at a file in win, it doesn't show as an .inf file, but in linux, the same file does show as an .inf file.

bit of info for you, mate, it's a simple matter of 'show hidden files'

on an explorer page, click tools/folder options/view & tick box 'show hidden files & folders'

[I find it helps if you enable 'show full path' as well, to see your directory paths]

or, at dos prompt; attrib -s -h

that's if you really need it to find a driver if using ndis, for example

Aitch
Page 4 of 8 [107 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: