Wireless config not retained (chipset ralink 2500)

laurencemulchrone

Wireless config not retained (chipset ralink 2500)

#1 Post by laurencemulchrone »

I have a thinkpad at 1.13ghz with 384mb RAM and puppy linux running

i managed to get my wireless internet working on it using Rutlit wireless gadget and iw as surgfing the web happily. then, i shut down my computer and rebooted (i saved the puppy save file to the hard drive) when it booted back into puppy linux, the card was no longer recognised! the lights on the card no longer flash and rutilt says network interface is down.!

however, i booted to windows xp on the same laptop and the card works fine so it isnt the pcmcia card or the slot!

this is a very confusin problem anyone can help???

cheers 10 points for best answer

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Here's my best answer

I had exactly the same problem as a noob, and got the best help from HairyWill,
- but you'll have to read it to see the journey it took to gain the understanding you need!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16973

Have fun,

Aitch :)

nic2109

#3 Post by nic2109 »

If the network connection wizard works OK but the problem is that your profile is not remembered and used next time you boot up, so you have to do the wizard again, every time, then read on .......

This is a problem with Dingo (aka Puppy 4) and it took a bit of solving but we got there in the end. Take a peek at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=107 and at my posts forward from there. You might want to go backwards too to get the whole story.

This particular issue boiled down to the file /etc/????wireless not being created by the wizard. (Note that ???? will be what ever interface your wireless is e.g. eth1 in my case; yours may be eth0 or even wlan0). Create that file as per bde's instructions and the problem goes away.

Please note also that this cures the symptom; it doesn't fix the wizard error that creates the problem.

Hope this helps.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]