Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 10:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
gtkam, for accessing digital cameras
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 13:48    Post subject:  gtkam, for accessing digital cameras  

I need some testers with digital cameras to try out the gtkam unleashed package I just made. I'm one of the few photographers still shooting film so I'm unable to test it and see if it works myself.

Gtkam should allow you to connect and download images directly from a wide assortment of digicams. This is a capability that I believe has been missing in Puppy up till now.

PM me if interested.

Nathan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 17:14    Post subject:  

Very Happy

new instructions (gimp enhanced version)

. get the download from Nathan
. use pupget to install as an alien package
. run gkam from /root/bin
. restart window manager
. plug in camera (with photos)
. start gimp (pupget)
. file / aquire on the gimp menu should have camera options
. select your cameras (scan did not work for my camera - luckily it was on the list) Pay careful attention to USB and serial settings
. load into gimp and modify

old instructions:

Success . . .

1. get the download from Nathan it is 3.5 meg - we need a host
2. use pupget to install as an alien package
3. run gkam from /root/bin
4. plug in camera (with photos) and select model - mine is a tiny umax 320S (did not try scan)
5. save images
6. load image into Open Office word (mtpaint does not except ppm - which is what my camera used) - gimp should accept too?
7. take screen shot and show off . . .

(the enclosed is a photo of my screen in OO - brightest thing available)

Now you Puppys get them digital cameras and shots ready . . .
This can go in the dotpups Smile
gkam.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   29.55 KB
 Viewed   4233 Time(s)

gkam.jpg

Last edited by Lobster on Mon 17 Oct 2005, 14:39; edited 2 times in total
MU

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 17:21    Post subject:  

upload it where all your podcasts go.
Then I can download it and upload at noforum.de

Shall I make a dotpup of it?

Mark

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 17:37    Post subject:  

You can make a dotpup if you want, but it's already in unleashed format. I guess it depends on your preferences. I just wanted to have at least a few testers before I made it available to everyone. Sounds like it worked for lobster.

I compiled it without the Gimp plugin as I didn't have the headers available at the time, but I might be able to re-compile it later. I'm checking out the latest beta of Gimp right now.

Nathan
Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 06:03    Post subject:  

I have re-compiled the program with the gimp plugin. I also stripped the binaries which cut the size by about 2/3. I'll post the new version right here later today but I've been up all night driving so I have to get some sleep right now.

Nathan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 07:10    Post subject:  

Nathan F wrote:
I have re-compiled the program with the gimp plugin. I also stripped the binaries which cut the size by about 2/3. I'll post the new version right here later today but I've been up all night driving so I have to get some sleep right now.

Nathan

Weakling! No coffee in your part of the world? [ahem . . .]

. . . sorry many thanks for your efforts thus far Smile
Hope you slept well

- what a thrill it was to me to get a pic in Puppy and a 2/3 size reduction - wonderful Smile Good luck

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 09:49    Post subject:  

Okay, lobster. Sorry to keep you waiting so long.

This version of gtkam should do all that the last one I put together does, plus it also installs a gimp plugin. The plugin allows you to access your camera directly from Gimp. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't seem to work with the version of Gimp in the "official" unleashed suite. It does work with the Gimp I made for grafpup. I may at some point compile a more "stable" version of Gimp and see how that goes.

Update!
This version is now fixed in order to make the plugin work with Gimp-2.0.6, which is the Gimp in the pupget menu. This "should" be the final version.

Also included for dependencies are libusb and a fuller version of libgphoto2.

Hope everyone finds this useful.
Nathan

Last edited by Nathan F on Sun 16 Oct 2005, 15:12; edited 1 time in total
rarsa

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 11:42    Post subject:  

Maybe the answer to my question is "try it and you'll see" But I'll ask anyway:

What's the difference between this tool and mounting the camera as an USB drive?

Quote:
This is a capability that I believe has been missing in Puppy up till now.
I've never missed it. I just mount, drag and drop.

Is this for cameras that don't store the pictures in a standard format?

Out of topic: I've already mentioned somewhere else that I've booted puppy from my Digital camera, Ain't that cool?
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 14:34    Post subject:  

My camera was not recognised as a USB device (or I could not fathom it - tried several times)

Thanks Natham - spreading myself too thin so may not be able to download the Graphpup Sad

May have to wait for your dotpupped version . . . The great thing is I can get pics into Puppy . . . great work

Hey any more results?

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 15:11    Post subject:  

Puppy already had libgphoto, which is probably how you and some others were able to get your cameras connected. However, I remember Lobster had not been able to do so and I'm sure he wasn't the only one. This package won't solve it completely as not every camera is supported, but if it gets a few more people able to connect then I think it's worth it. There is a pretty extensive list of cameras supported. I also think it makes for a nice workflow and is very easy to understand. There's nothing wrong with using mut to do it and I'm very impressed with the program. I didn't realize when I first compiled this that mut could do it at all.

Quote:
Out of topic: I've already mentioned somewhere else that I've booted puppy from my Digital camera, Ain't that cool?

Way cool, Rarsa. Although I question it's practicality. Cameras are generally somewhat more expensive than thumb drives and cd's.

Quote:
Thanks Natham - spreading myself too thin so may not be able to download the Graphpup
May have to wait for your dotpupped version . . . The great thing is I can get pics into Puppy . . . great work

Dotpupped version of what? Gtkam is an unleashed package and installs easily and cleanly as an alien package using pupget.

Nathan
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 15:19    Post subject:  

Quote:
I compiled it without the Gimp plugin as I didn't have the headers available at the time, but I might be able to re-compile it later. I'm checking out the latest beta of Gimp right now.

that bit Smile

Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 17:21    Post subject:  

Okay, I'll run down my gameplan here. Like I said above:
Quote:
Unfortunately, though, it doesn't seem to work with the version of Gimp in the "official" unleashed suite. It does work with the Gimp I made for grafpup.

Since I made my first stab at grafpup, a whole lot more people have expressed interest in it than I originally expected. I made it at first just for me. I'm currently rebuilding it in order to make it more useful and stable for a wider audience. As part of that I may kick Gimp back down to the most current "stable" release. I would make sure that I can get the gtkam plugin working in it also. If I can get this done I will make that package (Gimp-2.2.x) available for "mainstream" Puppy as well.

I'm going out of town for work again startin tomorrow morning, but I intend to take the neccessary source code with me on the lappy in order to get this started. I'll keep you posted. Until then, this version of gtkam works perfectly well to the best of my knowledge, just without the Gimp plugin if you're running the "official" Gimp package. The development release I compiled earlier can be used in Puppy1.0.5 with a little tweaking. See the original thread if you're interested.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2569&highlight=gimp

Nathan
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2005, 15:05    Post subject:  

This dotpup installs the correct Gtkam plugin for Gimp-2.0.6, which is the version of Gimp available in the pupget package manager menu. You must have both Gtkam and Gimp-2.0.6 installed in order to use it. I will be updating the Gtkam unleashed package to include this plugin, the dotpup is only for those who have already installed it.

Nathan
gtkam-gimp.pup
Description  58K
pup

Download 
Filename  gtkam-gimp.pup 
Filesize  57.38 KB 
Downloaded  729 Time(s) 
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct 2005, 21:21    Post subject:  

Very Happy

gosh I can not leave Puppy for a few minutes without more and more exciting stuff happening

excuse me whilst I faint with excitement

[sound of Cructacean thud]

Here is a screen shot aquired directly into the Gimp (again not much light) with a flare and page curl effect . . .
http://tinypic.com/eq8a2w.jpg

Rolling Eyes

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2005, 08:06    Post subject:  

I am on a fresh install of Puppy. This seemed to be all working fine before . . .

1. installed Gimp from Pupgets
2. installed gkam as an unleashed "alien package"

message came up

Quote:

make a note of this file and install it
usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gtkam/libgimconfig-2.0.so.0

Either that came up (do not remember) and I ignored it or another prog installed it. Anyway after much fiddling and rebooting, even the installation of fvwm95 and a following wind the most I could do is use the camera as a web cam snap shotter . . .

I seem to rember I had to install a library at some point - this may have been a dotpup . . .

m m m . . . any clues? . . . and where is gkam? Trying to do a gkfind right now but seem to have lost it . . .

OK - got it working here is the procedure

Gosh thought this was working - any other testers out there?
Come back dewdrop - your Puppy needs you . . .

1. installed Gimp from Pupgets
2. installed gkam as an unleashed "alien package"
3. Run gkam from /usr/bin and set up camera
4. Run Gimp and camera should show up

Pictures can also be imported directly from gkam
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: