Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
levian

#571 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

thanks for the kind reply.
these are the also among the instructions that i followed, which later resulted to searching for answer through the forum. i still get a Dependency missing for libscim-1.0.so.8 when installing the bridge though. i did include the gtk-2.12.1-xinput package while installing the 3 packages previously.

as for the font installation, i followed the instructions listed in the INSTALL file, n got stuck at the stage 5 - "test". i get "no such file or directory" when typing /usr/X11R6/bin/x1sfonts | grep 'wenquanyi', i repeated the steps twice n still get a "no such file or directory". what did i miss?
Attachments
font.png
(27.56 KiB) Downloaded 762 times

Irihapeti

#572 Post by Irihapeti »

levian:

You only need to make sure that the wenquanyi folder is in /usr/share/fonts and then reboot or restart the x-server. At least, that's all I've ever done.

If you got a missing dependency error when installing scim-bridge, check that you are not using a version of scim compiled by someone else. That's the only reason I can think of for the error.

levian

#573 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

thanks for the kind reply. i placed my wenquanyi under /usr/share/fonts/wenquanyi/wqy-bitmapfont/. when i opened up geany's font, i can see WenQuanYi Bitmap Song n WenQuanYi Zen Hei, but under the previews are all english ABCs. is that how it is supposed to be?

i downloaded these packages from /members/Irihapeti/

scim-1.4.7-i486.pet
scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet
scim-pinyin-0.5.91-i486.pet
gtk-2.12.1-xinput

i continued n installed the rest of these packages too yesterday,

m17n-db-1.5.1-i486.pet
m17n-lib-1.5.1-i486.pet
scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet

n also another chinese localization package from http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Localization/Chinese/

zh_e-400.pet

for the bridge error, first i tried - scim-bridge-qt4-p4.pet n received the error of missing library files for: libQtGui.so.4 libQtyCore.so.4. then i tried scim-bridge-0.4.16-i486.pet n received the error of missing dependencies: libscim-1.0.so.8.

updates:
i managed to get it working after reinstalling a fresh copy of puppy. there were still missing dependencies error but so far everything is working fine. i can read n input chinese characters now. thank you so much, Irihapeti!! :D

Irihapeti

#574 Post by Irihapeti »

levian:
The missing files when you install scim-bridge-qt4 are in qt4-4.3.4-p2.pet

You will need that package only if you are going to run qt4 applications.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working.

levian

#575 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

should i install qt4-4.3.4-p2.pet after it is working now?
i have installed so much packages that it stuck at "If X failed to start, type "xorgwizard" to setup X" error during start up, therefore i ended up reinstalling my puppy instead.

all that is left is having my printer install.
do you happen to know anyone who can help me with it? sorry for so much trouble, i am not literate with linux. most of the time, it is try n error for me. hehe.

Irihapeti

#576 Post by Irihapeti »

levian wrote:hi Irihapeti,

should i install qt4-4.3.4-p2.pet after it is working now?
i have installed so much packages that it stuck at "If X failed to start, type "xorgwizard" to setup X" error during start up, therefore i ended up reinstalling my puppy instead.

all that is left is having my printer install.
do you happen to know anyone who can help me with it? sorry for so much trouble, i am not literate with linux. most of the time, it is try n error for me. hehe.
You only need to install qt4-4.3.4-p2.pet if you are going to be using qt4 programs. If everything is working without it, then I would say that you don't need it.

Printers: sorry, can't really help. You could try leaving a message in the Advanced Topics -> Hardware subforum.

Trial and error is a great way to learn. I knew nothing about Linux two years ago. The number of things I've broken and reinstalled would be huge. Fortunately, Linux makes reinstalling easy (well, much easier than Windows).

levian

#577 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

i already posted under the hardware section.
it's true, all it takes is the experience to make us grow accustom to it.
thanks for your assist for the past few days! :D

kensuguro

#578 Post by kensuguro »

any hints for scim-anthy on puppy 4.2.1?
I installed everything, and it all seems to be working.
I can call up scim with ctrl-space, and get anthy to show up, actually type and see hiragana.. except, when I press space to convert to kanji, nothing happens. I can also press enter to commit the hiragana..
Is this a known issue?

I've installed:
anthy-9100e
all the gtk+ packages
scim-1.4.7
scim-anthy-1.2.6
scim-bridge-0.4.15

seems it's extremely close to working.. just no kanji.. any help appreciated.

Irihapeti

#579 Post by Irihapeti »

kensuguro:

You need one more package: gconv4dingo.pet

I knew it was needed for scim-canna in Puppy 4. I didn't realise it was also needed for scim-anthy.

I've updated the new wiki page to include this information.

Irihapeti

#580 Post by Irihapeti »

For those who are interested, I've uploaded the latest versions of the m17n database and libraries, plus the anthy server. They are available from the usual download locations.

Irihapeti

#581 Post by Irihapeti »

Another addition to the range of input methods for SCIM:

scim-chewing-0.3.3-i486.pet and its associated library, libchewing-0.3.2-i486.pet

These are for Traditional Chinese input.

They are available from puppylinux.asia and should be available from puppylinux.ca in a day or so (Caneri has to move them to the public download area).

kjoe

Skype using SCIM? (in puppy 4.30)

#582 Post by kjoe »

Hello all,
using the SCIM packages in Puppy 4.30 according to the instructions by Irihapeti works perfectly well for most applications (Geany, OpenOffice, Mozilla,...)
I just could not get Skype to use SCIM. Ctrl + Enter does not switch the input method. I've installed:

anthy-9100h-i486
canna-3.7p3-i486
gconv4dingo
gtk+-2.12.1-xinput
libGLU-1.3
libqt4_4.4.3-1
m17n-db-1.5.5-i486
m17n-lib-1.5.5-i486
qt4-4.3.2
qt4-4.3.4-p2
scim-1.4.9-i486
scim-anthy-1.2.6-i486
scim-bridge-0.4.16-i486
scim-bridge-qt4-p4
scim-canna-1.0.1-i486
scim-m17n-0.2.3-i486
scim-pinyin-0.5.91-i486
scim-tables-0.5.9-i486
wxGTK-2.8.8-i486

Am I missing anything?
Has anyone got Skype to work with SCIM?

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks in advance.

kjoe

Irihapeti

#583 Post by Irihapeti »

There is a set of programs that fall outside of the scope of the Scim GTK and QT modules.

Java programs belong to this group, and I read just the other day that Skype does as well.

I've had no luck in getting Java programs to work with Scim in Puppy, although they do in other Linux distros.

Maybe I need to look at Puppy 4.3 to see if it's now possible.

And, of course, if anyone else knows how to get these non-GTK, non-QT programs working with scim, please let us know.

Edit: Sorry, the problem with Java is still there in Puppy 4.30

Aitch

#584 Post by Aitch »

Hi Irihapeti
And, of course, if anyone else knows how to get these non-GTK, non-QT programs working with scim, please let us know.

Sounds like a job for ttuuxxx, maybe - he enjoys tracking inconsistencies/problems with dependencies/libs down

btw, nice avatar; what is it saying, in what language?

Aitch :)

kjoe

#585 Post by kjoe »

Hi Irihapeti,
thank you for your quick response. I always thought, that Skype was a QT-based program, because the actual Linux version requires Qt 4.2.1+.

So I tried to find a solution and at least found it. There was a missing package "scim-bridge-client-qt4". I downloaded it from debian server:

http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 1_i386.deb

I am really excited. Although its working in Skype now, it still does not in Java (tested using jedit).

kjoe

Irihapeti

#586 Post by Irihapeti »

@kjoe

That's interesting, that the Debian version of scim-bridge-client-qt4 works. As a rule, the QT drivers all have to come from the same source - although it may only be QT3 that is so fussy. But I have an idea also that Skype has its own versions of QT built in - again, only something I've read.

The main thing is, though, it's working for you.

@aitch

I have a vague suspicion that the java problem is related to the underlying "C locale" not supporting extended characters - that impression is gained from an error message I encountered ages ago when I was trying to compile something. Maybe some of the guys involved with the Chinese, Japanese etc distros might know more.

The avatar is the Simplifed Chinese character for "cat". I've always had a soft spot for the little furry creatures.

Irihapeti

Aitch

#587 Post by Aitch »

Cool :D

Irihapeti

#588 Post by Irihapeti »

@aitch:

阿猫阿狗

(=any cat any dog)

Means roughly, any Tom, Dick or H... :)

What are you doing up at this hour of the morning, anyway?

Aitch

#589 Post by Aitch »

mmm, now you mention it,

It's 4am UK time....& I can't sleep

I have recently learned of my mother's death due to old age, and a few days later my brother's apparent suicide...via letter from my sister which came from the Salvation army, as I'd lost touch with my family many years ago....it's sort of put me in a spin
....but please - I'm not looking for sympathy, no heartstring pulls, ...I'm a big boy, I'll get over it

we all go eventually....it's part of the deal

Irihapeti

#590 Post by Irihapeti »

Aitch wrote:we all go eventually....it's part of the deal

Yes, we do. And it's still difficult for us when others go before us. That is also part of the deal.

All right, I won't give you any sympathy. I can still very much empathise with you, though. That's who I am, so you get that regardless.

Very best wishes

Irihapeti