Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Irihapeti

#556 Post by Irihapeti »

Puppyiso:
What happens when you open Geany or OpenOffice or Leafpad and press ctrl-space? If scim is working properly, the input method panel should appear.

Scim has two configuration files: /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules and /root/.xinitrc (You'll need to show hidden files to see the last one.) Do you have both of these on your system. If they are in different places, that would be one reason for things not working.

It could be worth trying a standard version of Puppy first, and getting scim to work on that. The font file and the four scim packages should be all that you need.

Actually, I've just remembered that gconv4dingo was needed for some forms of Japanese input in Puppy 4. You could try installing that, if you are using a version based on Puppy 4. It's on puppylinux.asia, in the same place as the other files.

puppyiso

#557 Post by puppyiso »

As you can see in the attached image, the files do exist.

I cannot find the keyboard icon nor the selection icon in Gnome window.

Tried ctrl+space bar, shift+space bar nothing works.

It is too bad that I have to leave my computer next 8 days or so.

When I comeback, I will try again with "regular" puppies.

Thank you for your help.

John S
Attachments
all ingred for scim 1.png
(108.16 KiB) Downloaded 536 times

Irihapeti

#558 Post by Irihapeti »

puppyiso wrote:As you can see in the attached image, the files do exist.

I cannot find the keyboard icon nor the selection icon in Gnome window.

Tried ctrl+space bar, shift+space bar nothing works.

It is too bad that I have to leave my computer next 8 days or so.

When I comeback, I will try again with "regular" puppies.

Thank you for your help.

John S
You're welcome.

Scim can be very frustrating to get working, sometimes. It's not the most user-friendly program to set up, in my experience.

If I have any other ideas of things to try, during the next week or so, I'll post them here.

Irihapeti

puppyiso

#559 Post by puppyiso »

I am in different city with someone else's computer given to me to use temporarily. I don't have the files I downloaded from the puppylinux.asia site.

When I revisited the site, I found the site has exceeded its bandwidth limit.

Well, I guess I have to wait till July.

Or if you give me the file names and I will try to find them on the internet. (but of course puppylinux.ca first)

Those got to be somewhere.

John
Attachments
delay.png
(78.66 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

Irihapeti

#560 Post by Irihapeti »

Hi Puppyiso

The files you need are now on www.puppylinux.ca/members/Irihapeti and they are:

scim-1.4.7-i486.pet
scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet
libhangul-0.0.9-i486.pet
scim-hangul-0.3.2-i486.pet

It's best not to use .pet packages from other sources, because they are often compiled differently, and that adds yet another possible source of frustration.

I have tested the hangul packages in Puppy 4.2 (with the replacement gtk+ packages) and it's working. I suggest starting with a standard Puppy, get that working, and then add the other features such as Gnome.

Puppylinux.ca still allowed me to download at the time of this post, by the way.

puppyiso

#561 Post by puppyiso »

Success!!!!

I missed the bridge file.

Now it works. The next is the menu.

Thank Thank Thank you, Irihapeti

Finally!!!!

John S

Irihapeti

#562 Post by Irihapeti »

Puppyiso:

That is great news!

All the best with the rest of your project.

Irihapeti

puppyiso

#563 Post by puppyiso »

I tried Chinese today but there was NO correct pinying input.

None was correct.

Please check the Chinese input. The screen you see is with Gnome clothes on.

John
Attachments
wrongchinese.png
(177.87 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
wrong-chinese-input.png
(135.27 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

Irihapeti

#564 Post by Irihapeti »

Puppyiso:

It looks as though you only have Scim-tables installed, which doesn't include pinyin. Scim-m17n (and you'll need the other two m17n packages as well) has some pinyin options.

The other choice is scim-pinyin (智能拼音), which is quite popular. That's just a single package download. When it's installed, it shows up in the scim menu as

Hope that helps.

Irihapeti

Irihapeti

#565 Post by Irihapeti »

你们好, 我的朋

pacchiee

#566 Post by pacchiee »

Irihapeti,

Good work! Does the newer versions still require libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1 to be replaced or have you included it in the package?

Irihapeti

#567 Post by Irihapeti »

pacchiee wrote:Irihapeti,

Good work! Does the newer versions still require libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1 to be replaced or have you included it in the package?
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1 is only needed for Puppy 4.2; later versions have been fixed. And no, it's not included in the new scim packages.

It's probably better to install the gtk-2.12.1-xinput packages instead. Just gtk-2.12.1-xinput.pet if you aren't going to be doing any compiling, and the other three if you are. The first one contains libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1 anyway. (Maybe it's time to remove it from the directory; it was a stopgap sort of solution anyway.)

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

levian

#568 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,
i was trying to install scim-pinyin into my puppy 4.2.1,
that includes installing

scim-1.4.7-i486.pet
scim-pinyin-0.5.91-i486.pet

n more tables n files that were found in /members/Irihapeti/ which i eventually got lost. both geany n leafpad doesn't give me any reactions. nor with cltr+space. i even tried reinstalling my puppy to get the scim to work, but it still doesn't. what should i do next? please help.

i am able to read some chinese fonts though.

Irihapeti

#569 Post by Irihapeti »

levian:

For some further instructions, look here: http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/localiza ... dly-method and
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/multi-li ... -installed

You shouldn't need to reinstall Puppy but you do need to restart the x-server, or reboot.

If you want a good display of Chinese characters, install wenquanyi bitmap font. The instructions are here: http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/multi-li ... ling-fonts

Aitch

#570 Post by Aitch »

Hi Irihapeti

How you keeping?

Just a quick reminder, requests have been made to move your/everybody, that is - files from

http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki

to the new site/hosting - I think :? [pm prit1 for confirmation]

see

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

and

http://www.puppylinux.org/news/

Aitch :)

levian

#571 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

thanks for the kind reply.
these are the also among the instructions that i followed, which later resulted to searching for answer through the forum. i still get a Dependency missing for libscim-1.0.so.8 when installing the bridge though. i did include the gtk-2.12.1-xinput package while installing the 3 packages previously.

as for the font installation, i followed the instructions listed in the INSTALL file, n got stuck at the stage 5 - "test". i get "no such file or directory" when typing /usr/X11R6/bin/x1sfonts | grep 'wenquanyi', i repeated the steps twice n still get a "no such file or directory". what did i miss?
Attachments
font.png
(27.56 KiB) Downloaded 762 times

Irihapeti

#572 Post by Irihapeti »

levian:

You only need to make sure that the wenquanyi folder is in /usr/share/fonts and then reboot or restart the x-server. At least, that's all I've ever done.

If you got a missing dependency error when installing scim-bridge, check that you are not using a version of scim compiled by someone else. That's the only reason I can think of for the error.

levian

#573 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

thanks for the kind reply. i placed my wenquanyi under /usr/share/fonts/wenquanyi/wqy-bitmapfont/. when i opened up geany's font, i can see WenQuanYi Bitmap Song n WenQuanYi Zen Hei, but under the previews are all english ABCs. is that how it is supposed to be?

i downloaded these packages from /members/Irihapeti/

scim-1.4.7-i486.pet
scim-pinyin-0.5.91-i486.pet
gtk-2.12.1-xinput

i continued n installed the rest of these packages too yesterday,

m17n-db-1.5.1-i486.pet
m17n-lib-1.5.1-i486.pet
scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet

n also another chinese localization package from http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Localization/Chinese/

zh_e-400.pet

for the bridge error, first i tried - scim-bridge-qt4-p4.pet n received the error of missing library files for: libQtGui.so.4 libQtyCore.so.4. then i tried scim-bridge-0.4.16-i486.pet n received the error of missing dependencies: libscim-1.0.so.8.

updates:
i managed to get it working after reinstalling a fresh copy of puppy. there were still missing dependencies error but so far everything is working fine. i can read n input chinese characters now. thank you so much, Irihapeti!! :D

Irihapeti

#574 Post by Irihapeti »

levian:
The missing files when you install scim-bridge-qt4 are in qt4-4.3.4-p2.pet

You will need that package only if you are going to run qt4 applications.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working.

levian

#575 Post by levian »

hi Irihapeti,

should i install qt4-4.3.4-p2.pet after it is working now?
i have installed so much packages that it stuck at "If X failed to start, type "xorgwizard" to setup X" error during start up, therefore i ended up reinstalling my puppy instead.

all that is left is having my printer install.
do you happen to know anyone who can help me with it? sorry for so much trouble, i am not literate with linux. most of the time, it is try n error for me. hehe.