Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
amitagroyee

#31 Post by amitagroyee »

I am using 2.17 in my home pc and 3.01 in my office pc.
On which version it will be more easy?

Irihapeti

#32 Post by Irihapeti »

amitagroyee:

I don't know which version will be easier. RR Koothady and Juveno41 were working with 3.01. The files that I have were compiled for a standard install of Puppy 2.17. I can upload them here, but there are 12MB of them and I'm on a dialup. That's why I wanted to know first if they'd be useful to you :) Give me a few hours (I have other tasks needing attention in the meantime) and I can post them here.

RR Koothady

Uploading is the Issue Amit

#33 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Amit:

नमसते !

Uploading was the issue behind loading separate files. Please bear with me.

However, for ease - please use ROUTE ONE of Irihapeti.
This supports Hindi.
I mean - Please Install :
1)SCIM, 2) SCIM-BRIDGE, 3) SCIM TABLES and please follow other particulars already mentioned in this thread.

The Second Route using additional m17n files is not necessary for Hindi.

I know very little Hindi. Think I have typed "Namasthe" correctly using SCIM - Hindi Phonetic Keyboard - in Puppy 3.01.

I am in 3.01, and have not tested this in pre 3 Puppies. 3.01 accepts SCIM comfortably.

Enjoy!!

Ramesh

BTW: I thought you may be interested in the following related post too:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27400

ipd98

SCIM for Puppy 3.01

#34 Post by ipd98 »

The download links provided by Juveno41 are not working anymore. Could anybody help to upload the files for downloading. So happy find a scim solution, but ......

RR Koothady

#35 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear ipd98:
The following links are still active. So why worry? This is Route 2 - the m17n Route- a little cumbersome of the 2 scim paths available.

http://rapidshare.com/files/105920191/m ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920192/m ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920194/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920195/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920196/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920198/t ... up.so.html

The first route is to install scim-bridge, scim and scim-tables alone - No m17n. However, please check in this thread whether the language of your need is available in this route. Please note that m17n gives us 41 and the scim-bridge route gives us 19 languages. So, choose accordingly.

I found some installation problems with juveno's pets. However Irihapeti's scim-bridge pet works fine. Pleas check this thread again as she has uploaded this pet here itself for us to use.

Enjoy!

Ramesh

ipd98

SCIM for Puppy 3.01

#36 Post by ipd98 »

Dear Koothady,

Thanks for your prompt reply and the links! The 19 languages are sufficient to me and I also want scim be more versatile. I am still downloading the files and will response if I success.

Thanks again :D

Irihapeti

#37 Post by Irihapeti »

I tried uploading the files last night (local time) and didn't succeed. If anyone specifically needs the files I've compiled on Puppy 2.17, I can find another way to upload them. However, given the time it would take me, I'd prefer to wait until I know there's a definite need.

ipd98

SCIM for Pupeee

#38 Post by ipd98 »

Dear RRK,

Thank for your help! SCIM is working perfectly in my eeepc. I have a full functioning puppy for my daily work now! :D

Your instruction is very clear except one part; it may mislead a newbie to linux. Hope that you don't mind. Thanks a gain.

vii) Add following 2 lines just after the path statement of /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.

"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim.so"
"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "" "" ""

RR Koothady

#39 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear ipd98

Let's thank Irihapeti and Juveno for passionately involving themselves to solve the SCIM issue once and all for Puppy.

It's heartening that SCIM is working well in your eee pc. And, why should I mind for telling me that my instruction is not clear in a place or two? After all, are we not the ones who are going to write a crystal clear instruction in Puppy wiiki on SCIM soon? That is - after we test and get used to scim in Puppy for may be a month or two?

I am just curious to know your language. I am also curious to know about Amit inputting Hindi in his Puppy. Hope he has also succeeded like you.

Three Cheers to all Puppy Scim-ers!

Ramesh

Irihapeti

Install and uninstall scripts for scim-bridge

#40 Post by Irihapeti »

Well, if this is possibly going to end up in the Puppy wiki, it would be a good idea if someone vetted the install and uninstall scripts that I wrote for my own version of scim-bridge.

Then they could be included in a dotpet file for those who don't wish to hand-edit their configuration files.

Since they are fairly short, I've just added them as code blocks to the message.

The install script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cp /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.bak

#add entry to gtk.immodules
echo '"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"' >> /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
echo '"scim-bridge" "SCIM Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""' >> /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules

#add entry to .xinitrc, near beginning
sed -i -e 's/PUPSTATE/PUPSTATE\
\
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"\
export GTK_IM_MODULE/' ~/.xinitrc
The uninstall script:

#!/bin/sh

#remove entry from gtk.immodules
sed -i /scim-bridge/d /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules

#remove entry from .xinitrc
sed -i '
/.*scim-bridge./ {
	N
	N
	d
	}
' ~/.xinitrc	
Any comments?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#41 Post by Lobster »

:) One of the most amazing things is finding
a version of Puppy translated and working in a diversity of scripts
and in completely new and diverse ways.

That is why we welcome everyone to participate.
You guys are our strength.

Many people are finding that Puppy in their own language
makes their computer hardware investment worthwhile.

Keep up the great work :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

amitagroyee

#42 Post by amitagroyee »

Thanks a lot Irihapeti and RR Koothady for providing me such a solution and guidance about scim.

I observed the Irihapeti way and succeded.

the steps are: (I am using 3.01 frugal install)

The first route is to install scim-bridge, scim and scim-tables alone as discussed by RR Koothady anywhere in this thread.

after 1st course of installation, nothing happened.
While exploring I found that all the three pet packages are lying in My document.

I once again installed the packages from there. All went well no dependency problem.
I re booted and started using scim.

Thanks once again. I can kick the m$winXp now.

Amit

RR Koothady

#43 Post by RR Koothady »

Thanks Ed for your appreciation.

Happy to know that Amit has also succeeded with हिनदि (Hindi)!

Irihapeti: That looks wonderful. Please tell us how this code can be put inside a pet, so that our scim can become a true "CLICK AND RUN SCIM"?!

Ramesh

Irihapeti

Putting scripts inside .pet files

#44 Post by Irihapeti »

RRK:

The full instructions for putting scripts inside .pets are here:

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

Note that it contains instructions for inserting stuff into a .pet for which you don't have the original source code. Kudos to Barry for creating a document that a complete newbie (to pet-making) can follow easily.

Irihapeti

RR Koothady

script inclusion

#45 Post by RR Koothady »

Irihapeti:

I did the following. Nothing happens at: /etc/gtk2/immodules and ~/.xinitrc after this. I think I have gone wrong somewhere...

Ramesh
Attachments
scim install scripts.png
(135.64 KiB) Downloaded 1215 times

Irihapeti

#46 Post by Irihapeti »

RRK:

I think the problem is that the scripts aren't executable. Either use

chmod +x pinstall.sh
chmod +x puninstall.sh
in a terminal, or use the "executable" check boxes in the properties dialogue. Then the labels under the icons will be in green text, not black.

You can then test them by clicking on them, and they should work.

jojonouvo

#47 Post by jojonouvo »

Hello, I installed scim using this way:
Irihapeti:

Thanks very much for sharing scim-bridge dot pet.

Here are my results:

1. Installed SCIM dot pet.

2. Installed SCIM-Bridge dot pet.

- This showed the following message: "/usr/bin/scim-bridge has these missing lib files: libscim-1.0.so.8"
- However, I could find that file residing in: /usr/local/lib
- Hence I thought, they should be linked: I did the following in the terminal: ln /usr/bin/scim-bridge /usr/local/lib/libscim-1.0.so.8 [I do not know how to symlink and was anxious to rush forward for the time being and hence without reading tried this... is it ok? Do you symlink this way between 2 files?]

3. i) Checked whether table-imengine-setup.so is present at /usr/local/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/SetupUI - Answer: NO.
ii) Hence placed that file in that folder.

4) Installed SCIM Tables dot pet.

5) Place the script

Quote:
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"
"scim-bridge" "SCIM-Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""

at /etc/gtk-2/immodules

6) Finally:
Just place the following script at ~/.xinitrc - after the PUPSTATE line:

Quote:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
export GTK_IM_MODULE

7) Reboot

Cool a) SCIM "DOES NOT" get invoked when a GTK app is started as it happens in the m17n install method.
b) However, it can be launched from the Terminal by scim -d
c) This is of no use because even after launching, you can not invoke it "within the" applications.

9) Went back to : /etc/gtk-2/immodules - changed the script:
Quote:
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim.so"
"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "" "" ""

Save.Exit.

10) Back to /.xinitrc. Change script:
Quote:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export GTK_IM_MODULE

Save. Exit.

11) Reboot.

12) Open Geany. Now SCIM gets invoked automatically. Type (after the llanguage fonts are installed at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF - of course). It works!

13) The surprise: Instead of 41 languages in the m17n way - This supports 19 languages. And to my delight, Tamil is one among them. The languages listed are:

Quote:
Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Gujarathi, Hindi, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malayalam, Nepali, Punjabi, Russian, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Ukranian, Vietnamese, Chinese(simplified), Chinese(Traditional) and of course the Other and the English Key Board.

Compare this with the languages m17n offers:

Quote:
Amharic, Arabic(Egypt),Assamese, Bengali,Tibetian,Danish,Divehi,Greek,English(American),Persian,French,Gujarathi, Hebrew,Hindi, Croatian,Armenian,Japanes,Georgian,Kazak, Cambodian,Kannada, Korean, Loathian, Malayalam,Burmese, Nepali,Oriya, Punjabi,Russian,Sinhala,Slovak,Serbian,Swedish,Telugu,Thai,Uighur,Ukranian,Vietnamese,Chinese(simplified), Chinese(traditional)

14) Hence, the folks requiring languages other than what SCIM-Bridge offers, may be advised to go 'm17n' way. Others can use the lighter and the easier "SCIM-Bridge" route.

15) I am in Lobster's Timxxine Puppy (3.01). It has Oo pre installed. However, I am not able to input using this method (scim-bridge) also.

16) So, what is the way?
And it's working with geany for example (I use it for japanese), BUT then I'm unable to launch firefox. If I comment the modified lines in ./xinitrc then firefox works again.

#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

#GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
#export GTK_IM_MODULE 
Oddly seamonkey is not affected at all.. So what do I need to make scim and firefox work together?

MU

#48 Post by MU »

Oddly seamonkey is not affected at all.. So what do I need to make scim and firefox work together?
No idea, but you could deactivate scim for firefox only.

You could search the firefox startscript:
which firefox

Then edit it.
After the first line (#!/bin/bash) add 2 new lines.

GTK_IM_MODULE=
export GTK_IM_MODULE
Or maybe this one line:

unset GTK_IM_MODULE
Then Firefox should not use scim.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

jojonouvo

#49 Post by jojonouvo »

Thank you Mark but alas my goal is to use scim with firefox :cry:
(I'm using puppy version 3)
Maybe I need to reinstall everything, but even after browsing those four pages of instructions several times, the steps remain very unclear for my poor skills..

ipd98

#50 Post by ipd98 »

Ya I have to thank Irihapeti, Juveno, you.... of course all the linux and puppylinux enthusiast Sorry RRK for my late reply because I was searching how to install firefox on Pupeee, but with no luck. My language is Traditional Chinese/Simplified Chinese.

Now then realize even though I can install firefox, it may have issue with scim. Have to find a way to solve the issue or just get used to use SeaMonkey :cry:
RR Koothady wrote:Dear ipd98

Let's thank Irihapeti and Juveno for passionately involving themselves to solve the SCIM issue once and all for Puppy.

It's heartening that SCIM is working well in your eee pc. And, why should I mind for telling me that my instruction is not clear in a place or two? After all, are we not the ones who are going to write a crystal clear instruction in Puppy wiiki on SCIM soon? That is - after we test and get used to scim in Puppy for may be a month or two?

I am just curious to know your language. I am also curious to know about Amit inputting Hindi in his Puppy. Hope he has also succeeded like you.

Three Cheers to all Puppy Scim-ers!

Ramesh