Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Irihapeti

#16 Post by Irihapeti »

Juveno41

That's interesting - I don't recall getting that message when I was compiling scim, and I don't know why. (I might look into it later, but I'm not a programmer, either.)

A common way of dealing with lib files that aren't where you want them, is to make a link instead of copying. It does the same job, and takes up a bit less room in the pup_save file. In fact, I think that in Puppy217 the X11R6 directories are linked to the X11R7 ones (or vice versa - I'm not in Puppy at the moment and can't check).

And to RRK:

A very happy Tamil New Year (in advance). :D

RR Koothady

#17 Post by RR Koothady »

Thanks Irihapeti. Best Wishes Juveno41.

RRK

Juveno41

#18 Post by Juveno41 »

Irihapeti wrote: A common way of dealing with lib files that aren't where you want them, is to make a link instead of copying. It does the same job, and takes up a bit less room in the pup_save file.
Yes, I symlinked them with the shell command 'ln' following your advice, and it compiles well. Thanks for letting me know.

RR Koothady wrote:Best Wishes Juveno41.
Thanks. and your solution, as well as that of Irihapeti for language input works for me, now. Thanks again for this, all of you!

Have a good weekend, Irihapeti. Have a good weekend and happy new year, RR Koothady.

caka

Re: 41 LANGUAGE PUPPY - HELP NEEDED

#19 Post by caka »

RR Koothady wrote:
support to 40 MORE Languages. [Amharic, Arabic(Egypt),Assamese, Bengali,Tibetian,Danish,Divehi,Greek,English(American),Persian,French,Gujarathi, Hebrew,Hindi, Croatian,Armenian,Japanes,Georgian,Kazak, Cambodian,Kannada, Korean, Loathian, Malayalam,Burmese, Nepali,Oriya, Punjabi,Russian,Sinhala,Slovak,Serbian,Swedish,Telugu,Thai,Uighur,Ukranian,Vietnamese,Chinese(simplified), Chinese(traditional)]
40 languages and isn't S P A N I S H. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Juveno41

#20 Post by Juveno41 »

Okay, I can see SCIM launched when I boot, I thought it was all done, but can't go any further.

I can launch SCIM Setup, but can't see Generic table. The only items I see are :
- SCIM
- FrontEnd -> Global Setup
- IMEngine -> Global Setup
- Panel -> GTK.

So I can't install tables.
And CTRL+Space doesn't work, of course.

I think I followed Irihapeti and RR Koothady's instructions one by one. Here's what I did :
(btw I'm using Puppy-3.01 Seamonkey with devx_301.sfs)

- set my locale to fr_FR, and checked the file '/etc/profile' and I found the line 'LANG=fr_FR'.

- copied 'libXaw95.so.7' to '/usr/local/bin' and installed 'libotf.so.0' in '/usr/local/lib'.

- installed the packages m17nlib, m17ndb, and m17n-SCIM RR Koothady offered. There were no dependency errors.

- installed scim-1.4.7-i486.pet, scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet and scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet that I succesfully compiled :
1) for scim-1.4.7-i486.pet I did './configure --prefix=/usr'.
2) for scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet I did './configure --prefix=/usr --disable-qt3-immodule --disable-qt4immodule'
3) for scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet I did just './configure' (I also tried './configure --prefix=/usr and it compiles well, but still doesn't work.)

then 'make; make install' for all three packages.

afterwards, I replaced '/usr/local/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/SetupUI/table-imengine-setup.so' by the one RR Koothady offered again.

Then I edited the following two files as Irihapeti and RR Koothady instructed :

1) here's the beginning of my '/root/.xinitrc' file, with the part I added.
#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim-bridge"
export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
scim-bridge

2) and I added the following in '/root/.etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules' :

"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"
"scim-bridge" "SCIM Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""

Do you see any point I missed? Any comment would be of great help.

RR Koothady

#21 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Juveno 41:

1. a) My experience (I mean past few days) with SCIM installation tells me setting the 'locale' to fr_FR or ta_IN (in my case) is not necessary in the first place.
b) Setting the 'locale' becomes mandatory if you wish to 'display' the User Interface in your own language - that is after you translate ~/.jwmrc and ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and ?may be other files(I am just exploring this at present...)

2. a) Hence, for the present, the objective is to make a successful 'local language input' using SCIM and not translating the UI.
b) The first precondition for a successful input is to install a unicode font of your language in your system. This is installed at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf folder. This action makes the font available universally for all the applications.

3. I have tested SCIM successfully with many puplet versions of 3.01 now (Timxxine, Pupee, Standard 3.01). The steps are fairly clear:

i) Install m17n-lib dot pet first.
ii) m17n-db dot pet goes next.
iii) SCIM dot pet installation follows this.
iv) SCIM-m17n dot pet (this is nothing but a bridge) is installed after this.
v) SCIM Tables dot pet comes finally.
vi) Place the table-imengine-setup.so file at /usr/local/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/SetupUI.
vii) Place the script
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim.so"
"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "" "" ""
at /etc/gtk-2/immodules
viii) Finally:
Just place the following script at ~/.xinitrc - after the PUPSTATE line:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export GTK_IM_MODULE
ix) reboot.
x) No need for pressing "ctrl + space" to invoke SCIM; because with the above scripts in place, SCIM gets invoked whenever a GTK application starts.
xi) When a GTK application starts - SCIM is invoked. or else you can invoke it by typing scim -d in the terminal. It gets launched successfully.
xi) Now install the language tables in the SCIM panel found in the X Tray. To do this: Right click scim keyboard icon found in the tray - SCIM Setup - IM Engine - Generic Table - Table Management - Install ... Install the tables from /usr/local/share/scim/tables/
x) Close. Open the GTK application. SCIM Keyboard popsup a tray from where you can choose the language and table of your choice.
xi) After this - just type in your language.

Now coming down to your installation:

1) There are 2 routes.
a) SCIM ,SCIM-Bridge & SCIM Tables Route (Irihapeti way),
b) m17n-lib, m17n-db, SCIM, SCIM-m17n, SCIM Tables Route (the path I had followed)

2) Either you stick to a, or b. Never mix both. You have mixed both.

The Problems with my way:
- I have read in Debian Forums (?Min Hua) that SCIM-Bridge way is more versatile of the two. It is said that SCIM-Bridge is written in C and hence it is capable of handling more apps. For example, my installation is fine with Abiword, Geany, Leafpad, GIMP, Inkscape - BUT not in Open Office. I am not able to use SCIM with Oo.
- However, I have seen in "BOSS Linux" (an Indian Debian Derivative) SCIM compiled with just SCIM-Brige and the Tables, inputting in Oo very well. SCIM-m17n is said to be written in C++ and it is claimed to be the reason for such a constraint.

------------------

So, please follow my way first step by step. Boost your confidence first by practically inputting French or any of your desired language.

Then take Irihapeti's path. Make Oo succumb to Puppy.

Then share with me the SCIM-Bridge Dot Pet you have compiled (as I have failed in this) with me and tell me how I should proceed to tackle Oo.

--------------------

Then, let's rejoice!!

Love
Ramesh

RR Koothady

Hello Juveno in French

#22 Post by RR Koothady »

Hello Juveno!
Attachments
hello juveno.png
(92.62 KiB) Downloaded 2226 times

Irihapeti

#23 Post by Irihapeti »

The whole idea of using scim-bridge is so that you don't have to be tied to a particular localisation to use its language. That's the problem with the chinese-input pet. I've found that changing locale to something non-English changes the default fonts used for things such as the code boxes on this forum, and the result is sometimes almost unreadable.

I've attached a version of the scim-bridge dotpet file, from which I have removed the scripts (don't know why I didn't think of this before :oops: )
The purpose of the scripts is to make the necessary alterations to .xinitrc and gtk.immodules. I'm new to this sort of thing and still unsure if I really know what I'm doing. :?

As for my other question about using macrons for M

RR Koothady

Testing SCIM BRIDGE Input

#24 Post by RR Koothady »

Irihapeti:

Thanks very much for sharing scim-bridge dot pet.

Here are my results:

1. Installed SCIM dot pet.

2. Installed SCIM-Bridge dot pet.

- This showed the following message: "/usr/bin/scim-bridge has these missing lib files: libscim-1.0.so.8"
- However, I could find that file residing in: /usr/local/lib
- Hence I thought, they should be linked: I did the following in the terminal: ln /usr/bin/scim-bridge /usr/local/lib/libscim-1.0.so.8 [I do not know how to symlink and was anxious to rush forward for the time being and hence without reading tried this... is it ok? Do you symlink this way between 2 files?]

3. i) Checked whether table-imengine-setup.so is present at /usr/local/lib/scim-1.0/1.4.0/SetupUI - Answer: NO.
ii) Hence placed that file in that folder.

4) Installed SCIM Tables dot pet.

5) Place the script
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so"
"scim-bridge" "SCIM-Bridge Input Method" "" "" ""
at /etc/gtk-2/immodules

6) Finally:
Just place the following script at ~/.xinitrc - after the PUPSTATE line:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
export GTK_IM_MODULE
7) Reboot

8) a) SCIM "DOES NOT" get invoked when a GTK app is started as it happens in the m17n install method.
b) However, it can be launched from the Terminal by scim -d
c) This is of no use because even after launching, you can not invoke it "within the" applications.

9) Went back to : /etc/gtk-2/immodules - changed the script:
"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/immodules/im-scim.so"
"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "" "" ""
Save.Exit.

10) Back to /.xinitrc. Change script:
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export GTK_IM_MODULE
Save. Exit.

11) Reboot.

12) Open Geany. Now SCIM gets invoked automatically. Type (after the llanguage fonts are installed at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF - of course). It works!

13) The surprise: Instead of 41 languages in the m17n way - This supports 19 languages. And to my delight, Tamil is one among them. The languages listed are:
Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Gujarathi, Hindi, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malayalam, Nepali, Punjabi, Russian, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Ukranian, Vietnamese, Chinese(simplified), Chinese(Traditional) and of course the Other and the English Key Board.
Compare this with the languages m17n offers:
Amharic, Arabic(Egypt),Assamese, Bengali,Tibetian,Danish,Divehi,Greek,English(American),Persian,French,Gujarathi, Hebrew,Hindi, Croatian,Armenian,Japanes,Georgian,Kazak, Cambodian,Kannada, Korean, Loathian, Malayalam,Burmese, Nepali,Oriya, Punjabi,Russian,Sinhala,Slovak,Serbian,Swedish,Telugu,Thai,Uighur,Ukranian,Vietnamese,Chinese(simplified), Chinese(traditional)
14) Hence, the folks requiring languages other than what SCIM-Bridge offers, may be advised to go 'm17n' way. Others can use the lighter and the easier "SCIM-Bridge" route.

15) I am in Lobster's Timxxine Puppy (3.01). It has Oo pre installed. However, I am not able to input using this method (scim-bridge) also.

16) So, what is the way?

Ramesh
Last edited by RR Koothady on Mon 14 Apr 2008, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

RR Koothady

SCIM Bridge in Tmxxine Puppy

#25 Post by RR Koothady »

SCIM Bridge Installed in Tmxxine Puppy (based on Puppy 3.01)
Attachments
scim bridge snapshot.png
(173.5 KiB) Downloaded 2243 times

Irihapeti

#26 Post by Irihapeti »

RRK:
I run Puppy 2.17, as I think I've mentioned, and the file system layout may well be different from 3.01. It might be possible to rearrange the files inside the .pet package, or to add a symlink, by following instructions here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm
and then repackage the .pet. As I don't have a copy of 3.01, I can't test/do it myself.

As for symlinking. I just tend to use the GUI option: right click on file->link->absolute link. I guess I'm a bit lazy. :)

Scim-bridge definitely works with OpenOffice in Ubuntu. I don't have OO for Puppy yet, but I hope to get it shortly when my son downloads it over a much faster connection than I have. Then I can do some more testing.

At least, we have different ways of getting to the end result, which gives users options to try.

Juveno41

#27 Post by Juveno41 »

Okay I finally found the right thing to do to make scim-bridge work.:

First, install the SCIM package compiled with './configure' and not './configure --prefix=/usr'
(you already know that you have to link some files in '/usr/X11R7' and '/usr/lib' to do this.)

Then, to comiple scim-bridge, run a rxvt window, and execute the following lines when you are in its folder :
1) # export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
2) # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH (not sure if this is needed)
3) # ./configure --disable-qt3-immodule --disable-qt4immodule (don't add --prefix=/usr.)

This build of scim-bridge doesn't give any dependency errors when I install it.

And you install scim-tables finally.

I don't have Open Office, so can't check it for now. assuming that my pet files are built correctly, they could work with Puppy 3.01... or not.

scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet :
http://rapidshare.com/files/107365042/s ... 6.pet.html

I uploaded my scim and scim-tables pets too : with these builds, you don't need to install 'table-imengine-setup.so' seperately and the tables are added to SCIM by default, so it saves time.

scim-1.4.7-i486.pet : http://rapidshare.com/files/107350244/s ... 6.pet.html

scim-tables-0.5.8-i486.pet:
http://rapidshare.com/files/107350717/s ... 6.pet.html

Ramesh and Irihapeti, thanks again for all your help.

Irihapeti

#28 Post by Irihapeti »

This is what I think is happening: Juveno41 and RR Koothady are running 3.01 and I'm running 2.17, and the configurations that work for 2.17 on my machine aren't suitable for 3.01.

So if anyone else wants to use these instructions and is perhaps feeling a bit confused, they can keep this in mind. (Unless someone else comes along and can show that I'm wrong. :) )

amitagroyee

#29 Post by amitagroyee »

Will u plz keep a single zip file of all the needed files. It is irritating to wait for download each file

I want to type in Hindi using the above mentioned method as it is the only reason why I still have to keep winxp in my computer

Amit

Irihapeti

#30 Post by Irihapeti »

amitagroyee:

If you would let us know what version of Puppy you are running, I can then tell you if the files I have would be useful to you. It appears that what works on Puppy 3.01 won't work on Puppy 2.17 and vice versa.

amitagroyee

#31 Post by amitagroyee »

I am using 2.17 in my home pc and 3.01 in my office pc.
On which version it will be more easy?

Irihapeti

#32 Post by Irihapeti »

amitagroyee:

I don't know which version will be easier. RR Koothady and Juveno41 were working with 3.01. The files that I have were compiled for a standard install of Puppy 2.17. I can upload them here, but there are 12MB of them and I'm on a dialup. That's why I wanted to know first if they'd be useful to you :) Give me a few hours (I have other tasks needing attention in the meantime) and I can post them here.

RR Koothady

Uploading is the Issue Amit

#33 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear Amit:

नमसते !

Uploading was the issue behind loading separate files. Please bear with me.

However, for ease - please use ROUTE ONE of Irihapeti.
This supports Hindi.
I mean - Please Install :
1)SCIM, 2) SCIM-BRIDGE, 3) SCIM TABLES and please follow other particulars already mentioned in this thread.

The Second Route using additional m17n files is not necessary for Hindi.

I know very little Hindi. Think I have typed "Namasthe" correctly using SCIM - Hindi Phonetic Keyboard - in Puppy 3.01.

I am in 3.01, and have not tested this in pre 3 Puppies. 3.01 accepts SCIM comfortably.

Enjoy!!

Ramesh

BTW: I thought you may be interested in the following related post too:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27400

ipd98

SCIM for Puppy 3.01

#34 Post by ipd98 »

The download links provided by Juveno41 are not working anymore. Could anybody help to upload the files for downloading. So happy find a scim solution, but ......

RR Koothady

#35 Post by RR Koothady »

Dear ipd98:
The following links are still active. So why worry? This is Route 2 - the m17n Route- a little cumbersome of the 2 scim paths available.

http://rapidshare.com/files/105920191/m ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920192/m ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920194/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920195/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920196/s ... 6.pet.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/105920198/t ... up.so.html

The first route is to install scim-bridge, scim and scim-tables alone - No m17n. However, please check in this thread whether the language of your need is available in this route. Please note that m17n gives us 41 and the scim-bridge route gives us 19 languages. So, choose accordingly.

I found some installation problems with juveno's pets. However Irihapeti's scim-bridge pet works fine. Pleas check this thread again as she has uploaded this pet here itself for us to use.

Enjoy!

Ramesh