differences in Xvesa between Puppy 2.n and Puppy 3.n/4.n

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
oui

differences in Xvesa between Puppy 2.n and Puppy 3.n/4.n

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

Was are the differences in Xvesa between Puppy 2.n and Puppy 3.n/4.n? I miss the high resolutions with more than 1024 x 860. It is very tragic for me because I become really old and most important change in my condition is an extremely bad view, so the view / resolution is for me the greatest problem in my life. i have to use different glasses to get a normal comfort.

In the old puppy 2.17 I can use without problem the option 1280 x 1024 x 24 and those values are not offered any more in the new puppies. perhaps a general problem in a new version of Xvesa or of kernel: it is the same on different other new Linux systems. the only one actually with my best resolution is Debian, so I am using Debian in the last month but are missing Puppy.

for this reason I try each new version of Puppy to see if the resolutions of old Puppies are now available again.

the 3.02alpha gives me a real good optical impression (probably good choice of frequency etc. but also perfect presentation with the dark grey background and the new window decorations.

but with the exception of xine. xine gives bad pictures

(and don't starts the microsoft format videos! in 4.0, xine starts the microsoft format videos now without any problem, try it for example on http://jt.france2.fr/20h/ )

and I miss the CH keyboard again. I am sorry to remember that this keyboard layout offers the ability to write the most languages very correctly (consider that the Swiss uses 4 national languages and English, and has to correspond in banks etc. with a lot of clients through all the world. perhaps it is the reason why the keyboard of Swiss people is more performing as other layouts?)

the CH keyboard layout is the reason why I have to use Xvesa: A keyboard layout deposit is available on the site of Mark (thank you Mark!) but on my PC it works only properly onder Xvesa :wink: . it is possible to choice the German Keyboard layout in Puppy 3.0 or Puppy 4.0 but the accents ' `^ don't work properly to write in other languages than German!

I don't understand that this detail continue to be a problem because the KB layout deposit from Mark is not only one but more years old, so that the standard version of Puppy could be make really better without difficulty instead to copy or let in each version the same bad keyboard layouts as in Puppy 0,9 ignoring that Mark as discovered a long time better versions.

salut