Gnome 2.20.3 SFS (Only for Puppy4)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
ArthurDent

#46 Post by ArthurDent »

... the link to th sfs is down, looks like i'm sticking with XFCE for now ...

pdrito

missing link

#47 Post by pdrito »

wow,
Eyes-Only,

any ?

Please upload the link of gnome 2.20.3 sfs again, because the one posted is missing.

pdrito.

Eyes-Only

#48 Post by Eyes-Only »

Sorry that I can't help guys---I got the file from Wow and where he'd parked it at that link. As to where Wow is now I haven't a clue and I have nowhere to "park" the file myself.

I'm sorry that I'm unable to help out in this situation my fellow Puppian friends. :( All I can say is that hopefully Wow will return from wherever he's went and resupply the gnome.sfs file. It would be a real shame to see such a tremendous and important amount of work lost by the wayside, especially one which is so very valuable for our beloved distro!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

wow

#49 Post by wow »

Re uploaded...
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

Eyes-Only

#50 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hey Wow! Thanks my fellow Puppian Friend! As you can see, many have been asking for this! :) That's what you call "a job well-done" mate. :)

I still wished I could get a remaster done of this as I think it would make a great side project but I always stumble when it comes to that part of doing the "/root" and "/etc" directories. Ah well... as I say in French, "Rien est parfait!... sauf moi!" ;) hehe!

Good to see you again Wow. Don't be such a stranger, eh? We miss your compiles!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

pdrito

Thanks,

#51 Post by pdrito »

wow, WOW !!

Thanks a lot for this. I am downloading now.

Eyes-Only, appreciate your help and effort on everything.

pdrito.

Eyes-Only

#52 Post by Eyes-Only »

HUH Pdrito? Hey, I didn't do nothin'! I find that way I can't get blamed for anything should somethin' go wrong, see? LOL! ;)

Of course... Now if something should go right? That's a different story altogether mate! No need for thanks then, okie? I accept donations of any amount at the door over there---------->

LOL! :lol:

Hey! Sometimes it's just fun to kick back and have a great laugh, right? ;)

Take care Pdrito and I hope the Gnome.sfs file worked well for you?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

tombh

#53 Post by tombh »

Another happy user :)

This is fantastic! Eyes-Only you're so right that it is amazing what wow has done, Gnome and Puppy truly do make great partners. Gtk themes look much better, Nautilus managing the desktop is superb (more like ms windows!), better than xfdesktop, font rendering also seems much better, so much sharper.

Thanks wow :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

Jim1911

#54 Post by Jim1911 »

WOW!

Another happy nooby user. Even though this is a test version, I may be using it for my default desktop. I really like the Evolution PIM and Email Client.

One Question for now, How do you change the icons on the launchers on the desktop and the panel. ie. Using OOo sfs I can place launchers on both the desktop and panel by dragging and dropping, however, the icons switch to a generic default instead of using the icons that I placed there.

Impressive job, looking forward to other releases.
Jim

Eyes-Only

#55 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jim!

The way Gnome usually works is by using "icon theme packs" which are "normally" found in "/usr/share/icons/<theme_name>" So to switch icons on the desktop you'd go to the third selection over from the left on the Gnome panel (ACK! Sorry Jim, I'm not currently in Gnome but Fluxbox), I believe it's called "System", and then to "Preferences" and then "Appearances". Usually the first theme selected (in my case it's been this way?) is the theme you're using (?). Select "Customise" button and you'll find a tab for "Icons". That's how you can change your desktop/panel/menu icons. But beware!---while you'll pick up a lot of other icons you may lose your Puppy related icons in the process.

I change icons so often that it really doesn't matter to me, along with themes, backgrounds, you name it. ;)

Now as to the OOo icons? If you go to the icon directory I mentioned earlier and see if it contains icons for OOo, one way you could change them---though a rather complicated way---would be to rename the theme icons and replace with your icons. Or, you can right-click (if using a ROX-desktop only) and select to switch out the current icons for your own icons and ROX will remember them.

Another way would be to go to "/usr/share/applications" and change the icons there resetting the pathways to point to your icons in the .desktop files which can be edited in Leafpad or Geany. This is what I do for my SeaMonkey Suite and a few others so that regardless the desktop I use I'll ALWAYS have the exact same icons in my menus and desktop/panel, etc.

I hope some of this has helped Jim?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jim1911

#56 Post by Jim1911 »

Eyes Only,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried your suggestions with no luck. To change the icons, I right clicked on the panel icon, selected properties, then clicked on the icon in the Launcher Properties box. This opened a dialog box that loaded the available icons, none of which were appropriate. The dialog box allows you to browse to other folders, but the folder you suggested is empty. However, using Rox to look at the folder reveals many icons. P-find locates 6120 *.svg files. Don't know why the change dialog box cannot see any of them. For the panel, it looks like I will have to find mini or scalable icons, rename them and place them in a folder that can be seen. I still have no idea as to how to change the desktop icons.

There must be an easier way, however, it appears to be broken in this sfs distribution. I'm still impressed even with the icon problem.

Jim

Thanks, Eyes only, I misstated above, although the dialog box allows you to browse to other folders, it shows no files in those folders (Rox indicates that there are icons present). However, there are about 28 icons that appear in the default location. I have been unable to locate the default folder to add icons to that location.
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 21 Jul 2008, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

Eyes-Only

#57 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jim,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm not the best, shining example, for giving help here on the forum where I'm working with only half the brain God gave me (seriously). Plus sometimes it can take me forever to return and make replies.

Since nobody else has I take it nobody else has come up across this problem then---and that would be including myself since I haven't. :(

It's hard for me to say here why Puppy's unable to see those icon files first off. I can't recall whether Puppy CAN by nature see .svg graphic files? I do know that I've altered my Puppy extensibly and one of the things I had to add was the "libsvg.so" file to "/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines", along with a lot of other theme engines as well. Now I've never encountered Gnome having any trouble viewing .svg icons and it may be because I've added that file ahead of time... I'm not sure.

So I guess I'm really not of much help here. You may get better help asking in the "Beginner's" or "User's" section for help as there are different people working there with a far more vast knowledge of Linux. Tell them I sent you, please Jim?

Good luck and keep me posted---via private message if need be even.

Bonne Chance et Amicalement! Good Luck and In Friendship!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

tombh

#58 Post by tombh »

@Jim1911: I reckon that gnome's dialog in this instance doesn't actually list .svg's by intention. I guess maybe that .svgs aren't the most standard format for icons, I'm not sure, but the dialog does list pngs, xpms and others, yes? It does for me. The folder it says it's looking in is /usr/share/pixmaps Perhaps you can just google-image for an appropriate PNG then download it into that directory and try again?

tom :)
[url=http://www.tombh.co.uk/colour_memories/contribute.php]Colour-Memories Database[/url]

Jim1911

#59 Post by Jim1911 »

Eyes Only,
Update,
Don't know what happened, but now I can see the icon directories and change panel icons with ease using the same procedure described above. Still haven't discovered how to change desktop icons.

Thanks for your help.
Jim

MU

#60 Post by MU »

to change desktop icons, right click - properties.
There click on the icon-symbol to open a file-dialog.

At least in 2.22 it works like this.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Jim1911

#61 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Thanks for your reply, that's the technique that I use also, but it doesn't work with this distribution. I've also tried changing the icons in the desktop Rox window using set icon. However, although they will change in the Rox window, the actual desktop still goes to a default icon. Do you know where those default icons are located?

Jim

nutts4life

#62 Post by nutts4life »

wow,

I'd really like to join in and congratulate you on this feat. It's difficult to explain to the 'non-compiling' world what a huge peice of work you have a acheived here. Thanks....

And that brings me onto my next topic!

gthumb and dia.

As you know these gnome / gtk apps seem to have chosen to integrate much more with the gnome libraries.
I am a big fan of both f-spot and gthumb, but it seems lots of people have tried and given up compiling them on puppy becuase of all their dependencies.

So, i refused to beleive it and have been giving it a go all this week.
I gave up on f-spot as it needed gtksharp, which i couldn't be bothered with for now. so i concentrated on gthumb.

The key to getting gthumb working was the fact that you had compiled all the libraries that i needed.

I've managed to get it gthumb running, but it's riddled with errors and i'm sure that i'm still missing some dependencies.

and this is were you come in. With your unique undertsanding of gnome, I really need some help putting together a pack of the base gnome libraries so that i can easiliy compile gthumb.

I've noticed that you created these pets for puppy 3:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 44&t=25822

which have been put here:
http://dotpups.de/puppy3/dotpups/Librar ... 19.2-libs/

That allow gdesklets to work. (although i notice MU managed to remove libgnome)

It seems like gdesklets need very similar libraries to gthumb:

libgnome
libgnomeui
gnome-vfs
gnome-python

And of course the host of dependencies:
esound
libgtop
libbonobo
libbonoboui
libgnome
gnome
ORBit2
GConf
gnome-keyring

Is there any chance you could create a gnome_libs pack for puppy 4 for these libraries. It's so difficult to put something like this together unless you have compiled it initally.

Thanks so much,

n4l

wow

#63 Post by wow »

@nutts4life: Sorry, I can help you for now because I don't have too much free time. I have to work around 12 to 14 hours every day (also on sundays) since the last 2 months :evil:
Jim1911 wrote:Using OOo sfs I can place launchers on both the desktop and panel by dragging and dropping, however, the icons switch to a generic default instead of using the icons that I placed there.
About those "launchers", are they .desktop files?
Try to create a new launcher manually again.
1. Right mouse button over the desktop and choose:
Image Image
2. Choose an icon
Image Image
That's all.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

nutts4life

#64 Post by nutts4life »

wow,

No probs, i understand. That sounds like you have some serious work to do.

D you have any info written down about the dependenices of these libraries. I wil see if i can put this package together myself using your libraries.

thanks,

Olly

Eyes-Only

#65 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Wow,

Outta curiosity here? What's the name of that theme you're using for your Gnome? Pretty sharp looking if I must say so myself! ;)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*