Puppy Linux (minor sound bug)

Please post any bugs you have found
Pupnovice

Puppy Linux (minor sound bug)

#1 Post by Pupnovice »

Hi everyone,

I am new to Linux and after trying several distros and "Live" disks I foinally found "Puppy" and its great.

As a newbie I got into all kinds of trouble including "my soundcards not working" but after some patient trawling of this forums archive and a trip to the ALSA project page I was able to dicover my audio levels are all set to "0" :oops:

Very quickly I have also dicovered the "Terminal window" and invoked "Alsamixer" to correct the problem... Great!! I now have sound but one minor problem remains. When running any of the media packages (say gxine 0.5.9) it works ok but the Volume is at maximum all the time, the in-built vol control and "mute" button has no effect.

By contrast, if I visit Youtube on the web and view a video clip the Flash player volume and mute buttons works fine. What am I doing wrong?

I have had another look at various settings but I am reluctant to make changes at this stage since it took me so long to get the sound working in the first place :-)

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction please or advise me on what I am doing wrong.

Best wishes.

Punovice.[/quote]

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Most audio players (I'm pretty sure Gxine is included) have a setting in their options to choose which mixer device their volume control changes. If their volume control isn't working already, you can't do any harm by playing with this setting - just don't change the setting for anything called "output device" or something (although if you do you can always change it back).
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pupnovice

Volume control not working in gxine 0.5.9

#3 Post by Pupnovice »

Hi again,

Many thanks "disciple" for the advice.
Unfortunately the gxine player is not giving me an option to select which sound system to use.

I have also noticed that "Puppy Volume mixer" appears to have the same problem, that is I can move the slider but it has no effect, as soon as I release the the mouse it jumps back to the previous setting having had no effect on the volume.

Closer inspection of the puppy volume mixer also reveals I can only select one mixer option (Mic) with all other options "greyed out" so the mystery deepens.

I will play with puppy a little more and hopefully I will "stumble" on the answer. The volume control is only a minor problem, I can still use the terminal window and Alsamixer to make changes. Everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Kind regards.

Pupnovice.