Puppy 4 Beta Bugs

Please post any bugs you have found
DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#61 Post by DreamsToGo »

Barry, concerning gxine, why persevere with it when its so buggy?

disciple

#62 Post by disciple »

Yes Sage, but the other thing is that Gxine has by far the best user interface. That Xine-ui is truly awful, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to permanently show the controls. But if Gxine won't work I'd go for Mplayer any day, because it does work. Apart from the lack of DVD navigation, does anybody ever have any problems with it?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Tom Raft

Puppy 4 Beta Bugs

#63 Post by Tom Raft »

Béèm wrote:
dsj wrote:Seamonkey themes do not install. The theme is downloaded but get a message "install script not found".

Seamonkey add ons do not install. The add on is downloaded & at the end get a message "cancelled".

frugal install on a laptop.
Is java installed?
Try installing Theme Installer Add-On from http://themes.mozdev.org/

Hope this helps

Tom

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#64 Post by DreamsToGo »

I'd vote for Mplayer over Gxine.

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

Curious behavior of the (static) network settings. Having unplugged the RJ45 during an abortive attempt to install an absolute dog of a distro (DreamLinux), discovered that the IP addresses of the NIC and gateway were lost from a full install when restarting P4beta1, but not the DNS addresses. No big deal just strange.

eprv

slow download of the beta

#66 Post by eprv »

Hi, I am 3.01 user, very satisfied, would like to test 4 beta but the download for me (ADSL) is about 2kb/sec about 10 hours to complete and with this rate it is always corrupted or stopped during download. Any idea?

nic2109

Re: slow download of the beta

#67 Post by nic2109 »

eprv wrote:Hi, I am 3.01 user, very satisfied, would like to test 4 beta but the download for me (ADSL) is about 2kb/sec about 10 hours to complete and with this rate it is always corrupted or stopped during download. Any idea?
My experience is not so extreme, but something is wrong over at ibiblio. A normal Puppy download normally takes 5 minutes or so (on an 8 Mb ADSL line) but Dingo 4 beta took around 45 minutes.

Are you being throttled Barry?

@eprv : have you tried *wget from Menu => Internet ? You'll need to give it the full URL. The advantage is that it can be stopped and re-started, and it will re-start where it left off.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

Dingo

Re: slow download of the beta

#68 Post by Dingo »

eprv wrote:Hi, I am 3.01 user, very satisfied, would like to test 4 beta but the download for me (ADSL) is about 2kb/sec about 10 hours to complete and with this rate it is always corrupted or stopped during download. Any idea?
you can download Dingo beta from me:
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... a_releases
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

nic2109

Re: Solved wireless network bug reported earlier

#69 Post by nic2109 »

bde wrote:Feeling a little bit of self-gloat after finding out solution to the bug I reported earlier: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 372#188372. The problem was that the saved wireless profile was not being reused, and had to setup wireless network from scratch after every reboot. The bug is in the file /usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh. From console, type:

geany /usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh

Change from /usr/bin to /usr/sbin on lines 21 and 31 as shown below. Save this file. This should utilize the /etc/wpa_supplicant2.conf and /etc/wlan0wireless created during network setup assuming that the setup has been properly saved. This took care of automatic wireless connection in my case.
Sorry but this didn't work for me.

There seem to be several aspects to this bug, for me at any rate.

1) My saved profile is never loaded.

2) When running the wizard it demonstrates some rather odd behaviour. Initially the 'Wifi active light" flashes, then stays on. At that moment the blinky icon appears in the system tray. You might think that the job was done at that point, but no.

3) There's then a long delay (well, perhaps a minute) during which the light alternates between blinking and steady. It's like something is looping.

4) Eventually the light stays on but the wizard reports that it is "Unable to establish a WPA connection". But next the wizard tests eth1 and reports "Puppy found a live network".

5) The wizard returns to the first screen, says now it's time to get an IP address, which it does fine.

6) The last action is asking whether I want to save the config for the next boot. So I always say "Yes".

Steps 3 and 4 are the strange ones, so if that helps anyone trouble-shoot, then great!

Marv

ideflash and PUPMODE 13 update

#70 Post by Marv »

I made some progress on this. ideflash frugal installations can now run in PUPMODE 13. See the thread below:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 98&t=26800
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

bde

#71 Post by bde »

nic2109 wrote: Sorry but this didn't work for me.

Steps 3 and 4 are the strange ones, so if that helps anyone trouble-shoot, then great!
Nick: What type of wireless card do you have? Also, have you tried or been able to make the wireless connection using manual setup? My wireless card was detected automatically, and wlan0 interface was created. I hit wlan0 in puppy network wizard, and created a profile using essid, key, etc., checking the applicable options. Next, I saved and used the profile. Test wlan0 passed fine. Auto DHCP got the address and made the connection. Upon successful connection, both the top part and the bottom part of blinky blinks.

In the blinky, when the top part blinks it is sending data out; when the bottom part blinks it is receiving data back upon successful connection with IP address allocated. Have you seen the bottom part of blinky flash? Also, what type of encryption (none, wep, wpa, wpa2) are you using for communication with wireless router?

bde

JWM Bug

#72 Post by bde »

I think this may be a bug. I went through Menu/Desktop/JWM Configuration/Taskbar/Tray Height Option (in gtkdialog)/SHORT and found the Error message:
New config corrupt. Keeping original
Same error for Tray Placement Option, Tray Autohide Option, Virtual Desktops, and Program Insertion into Tray.

disciple

#73 Post by disciple »

I updated the Trash roxapp to fix the bugs introduced when Barry put it in Dingo, and add other features/bugfixes.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 784#188784
There is a lot of other code changed, and I might have missed something so please report any bugs.
I've also made some suggestions for how somebody with a little knowledge and time can improve it. Some of these would be very quick, so hopefully someone will take it up and we'll see another version soon :)

Barry - you should be able to drop it straight in Dingo now.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

GrumpyWolfe

gxine

#74 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi all

Thanks linuxcbon I changed my xserver to 24 from 16 and now it works no blue screen.

So far I like Puppylinux 4.
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

tinyos

many problems

#75 Post by tinyos »

1.when I restart xserver,it always crash
2.I can not save sessions, it always say "sessions not saved"
3.New mount tool is bad then ever. when I eject the partion, it always say wrong message in red word,and mount NTFS partion,it can't be writed.
4.I hope the author can provide locale for puppy4 series.

TuRDMaN

#76 Post by TuRDMaN »

Has anyone else been able to install .pup files? Because I have the same problem as the other users who posted in this thread before me (after installing the packages that puppy says are necessary, clicking on a .pup file just makes a box pop up with the name of the file, nothing else).

capoverde

#77 Post by capoverde »

Booted regularly and fast, but missed on the very first thing I tried -- going for 4 virtual desktops instead of 2. :(

Tried to restart both JWM and X, but no change as for the described problem -- the message "New config corrupt. Keeping original" comes out anyway. But restarting X does change things: all mountable memory device icons appear at the bottom of the screen and the message for first-time-run help appears at its top.

This, it seems, should happen without any X restart, but doesn't: apparently something isn't initialized correctly -- running XVesa at 1280x1024 on a Celeron 2800, Asustek 775i65GV MB (Intel 865GV chipset).

@disciple: no swap partitions are seen here either (!? never noticed that).
Last edited by capoverde on Wed 09 Apr 2008, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

nic2109

#78 Post by nic2109 »

bde wrote:
nic2109 wrote: Sorry but this didn't work for me.

Nick: What type of wireless card do you have? Also, have you tried or been able to make the wireless connection using manual setup? My wireless card was detected automatically, and wlan0 interface was created. I hit wlan0 in puppy network wizard, and created a profile using essid, key, etc., checking the applicable options. Next, I saved and used the profile. Test wlan0 passed fine. Auto DHCP got the address and made the connection. Upon successful connection, both the top part and the bottom part of blinky blinks.

In the blinky, when the top part blinks it is sending data out; when the bottom part blinks it is receiving data back upon successful connection with IP address allocated. Have you seen the bottom part of blinky flash? Also, what type of encryption (none, wep, wpa, wpa2) are you using for communication with wireless router?
@bde: I'm using WPA encrytion and it's a built-in Intel PRO/Wireless 3945A "card" on the motherboard. The Module it uses is ipw3945.

Manual setup works every time (but including the oddities already described) - it just doesn't get "remembered" for the next boot so must be repeated. I just select the profile (which it has remembered), load it and click 'Use this profile'.

Blinky doesn't really show much activity until the wizard has completed; but this is what you would anticipate.

One difference I note is that for you it's interface 'wlan0' whereas for me it's 'eth1' with wired being 'eth0'. I have no idea whether that would make a difference to your solution.

I did get 'wlan0' when the early dingo alphas were on the latest kernel and using the module ipl3945, but as that only catered for WEP and not WPA (among other reasons) Barry reverted to the previous kernel for the later alphas and now beta 1.

oli

#79 Post by oli »

pppoe with wired DSL doesn't work. This is what I did within a shell:

ifconfig eth0 up

pppoe-setup (I entered the same values as in my running Puppy 2.14-configuration)

Then I checked /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf. The entries are the same as in Puppy 2.14.

pppoe-start

But I cannot connet to the internet.

It is a pity that Roaring Penguin is no longer available in Puppy. I think Roaring Penguin is a must have if Puppy wants to be (or stay) one of the most user friendly distros. As you can see pppoe-setup doesn't work and if a user always has to start a shell and enter "pppoe-start / pppoe-stop" is inconvenient.

I hope Barry will change his mind and I hope that someone can show me how to setup the internet connection.

Addendum at 2008-04-12:

It seems that I have an internet connection (see "ifconfig" below), but I cannot open a URL in Mozilla or Gftp.

# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:8F:E7:59:6A
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1640 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:1747 (1.7 KiB)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1680 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:1680 (1.6 KiB)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:84.59.192.99 P-t-P:84.59.192.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:3 errors:8 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:54 (54.0 B) TX bytes:83 (83.0 B)
Last edited by oli on Sat 12 Apr 2008, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.

Sage

#80 Post by Sage »

Jesse who developed MUT, has taken some snapshots of a spectacular orange/yellow sunset
Hope you don't delete those nice plain grey and icy mountains?

But has he sent you a final of MUT2, yet?!

I ran into a minor issue with Pthingy in D4beta1 yesterday with (no)display of a USB stick. Had to revert to an earlier version with MUT to see it ; cfdisk /dev/sdxy wouldn't see it, either. All a bit deja vu.