Video Driver Toshiba Portege 2000 not booting

Please post any bugs you have found
BigShpank

Video Driver Toshiba Portege 2000 not booting

#1 Post by BigShpank »

Hey guys.

I have a toshiba portege 2000 laptop which I love. It needs some love as it has no way to boot from a cd or a usb. So I took out the hard drive put it on another machine and uploaded teenpup.

Everything went great until it got to the probing for video hardware. It basically stalls right there. I think I stumped the video drive. LOL

The laptop uses a Trident Video accelerator.

Any suggestions on how to get by this issue?

Thanks

Mike

BigShpank

One more thing

#2 Post by BigShpank »

I had Freespire running on this computer using the same install method. Removing the harddrive putting the files on and reinstalling in the laptop. So I know it works with Linux.

I like teenpup and puppy in general far more than other linux distros.

rerwin

Your problem seems like one I solved

#3 Post by rerwin »

BigShpank,
I may have solved your problem already in Puppys 3 & 4, but not retrofitted to Puppy 2 (which is what I think teenpup is based on). However, the state of the fix is such that it does not cover all cases it needs to. I have requested a remedy be included in the next 4alpha. The thread that hashes this out is at: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 535#148535

In the meantime, I can refer you to a corrected version of the wizard that you can update with the signature of your video adapter. But first, I need you to get some info so I know where we are starting.

If you boot up with the parameter "pfix=ram,nox" the boot process will stop at a command prompt (#). At that point type in "ddcprobe'. Find in its output the line starting with "oem:" and post the exact text of that line. If it contains "MagicGraph" or "Copyright 1997", the 4alpha6 version should get you going. If it starts with "Trident CYBER", we can just update the script line containing that string to use the appropriate upper case.

So please get that info and we can go from there. If we get it going with 4alpha6 or 3.02 and you really need teenpup, I can look into how to modify that version of the wizard to help you out.

EDIT: I see that TEENpup2008 is based on Puppy 2.14 and that its xorgwizard is a year old so does not contain the fix. Puppy 2.14R(evisited) does have a fix for many of the problem laptops, but not the latest additions. So skip messing with Puppys 3 & 4 for now.
Richard

BigShpank

Info

#4 Post by BigShpank »

It is listed as "Trident Cyber 8820"

Just as a not I have puppy installed on the hard drive. I did this by removing it from the laptop and installing it in another computer to load puppy files. This laptop has no bios usb or cd rom support. I like it becasue it is tiny and fast.

not sure if this will change what you suggest, Also I had put puppy 3 on the system after posting here on the site. Same problem as teenpup 2.14

BigShpank

MISTAKE

#5 Post by BigShpank »

It should read "Trident CYBER 8820"

rerwin

Puppy 2.14R should support your laptop

#6 Post by rerwin »

The xorgwizard in 2.14-Revisited does have the fix for your adapter. So the simple experiment would be to try installing 2.14R on the drive and booting.

I am checking out TEENpup2008 and plan to try the 2.14R version of the wizard in it. I think it should work, but will try it myself before recommending that solution. Tomorrow.
Richard

BigShpank

FiXeD

#7 Post by BigShpank »

I loaded xorgwizard2 into usr/sbin and well it just worked.

One small problem is now occuring.

it recognises my internal wireless device as eth1. It allows me to scan and find network. when I setup my wep password and select use this profile it comes up dead. autodhcp and test eth1 both say unsucessful. The thing is when I scan I find networks. Is this due to the listing as a eth instead of a wlan?

Again thanks so much

Mike

richard.a

#8 Post by richard.a »

I appreciate your knowledgeable comments so far, folks.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800

This runs a Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade XP A1 v6.4020.221CD

It has integrated RAMDAC, 16Mb of memory and BIOS KTT 7.1 (12.17) according to the WindowsXP Control Panel information.

I wanted to use two small partitions to demo two version 2's of Puppy on, and have hit the problem described above. Booting with the 2.14r1 CD solves the problem regarding probing video lockup but only if you don't "Test" but accept it.

Interestingly all puppies tried so far also don't shut down properly, even the 2.14r1

I have also successfully run various live Linux on it including the current Mint which doesn't generally run well on older equipment.

Question. I have downloaded the xorgwizard2 as suggested, but if I can't run the later distributions, the gzip utility is unable to be applied, unless I unzip it into another partition, which I'm reluctant to do.

I have now ghosted the two distros I want to be able to demo, on to the partitions where I would like them to be, and am wondering that as their filesystem should now be visible, perhaps I could copy files as needed into those two from the working 214r1 system?

If so, which files please?

Richard in Adelaide
Capital of South Australia
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

rerwin

xorgwizard2 unzip

#9 Post by rerwin »

Richard,
You have probably solved your dilemma by now, unzipping xorgwizard2. But I just now ran across this thread again.

My solution would be to put the download file into the partition containing puppy, then using a boot with pfix=nox to stop bootup before starting xorgwizard, then use the "tar -xvzf filename" command to unzip it.
Richard.E