Printing with a Kodak ESP 7250 - (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
thkn777

Printing with a Kodak ESP 7250 - (Solved)

#1 Post by thkn777 »

Hello again,
here's my next problem: I want to print to my Kodak ESP 7250 printer.

WHAT I DID SO FAR
CUPS doesn't know that printer, but I searched a bit and found this SF project --> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/

I downloaded INSTALL, README and the .tar.gz, then I read the INSTALL file and followed instructions. Unpacking was the easy part.

MY PROBLEM
When I type "make" in a terminal it says "make: command not found". I feel a simple "make" should(!) work in every Unix system... so something is wrong here.

GOAL
- get a working printer driver by using the make / make install command OR
- get an installable .PET OR
- install printer driver from a repository (they say, Ubuntu and debian have those packages and I found that page for example: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/main/c2esp) I tweaked settings in the Puppy Package Manager but couldn't find that package in the Ubuntu repositories.

I feel somewhat stuck and it would be nice if you could push me into the right direction.

Too late for me to do more research today, I need a break. See you tomorrow!

With kind regards,
Th.
Last edited by thkn777 on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi thkn777

to use the make command you need to install the devx for your version of puppy. if you're still using lucid 5.2.8 you can get the devx from quickpet - sfsget - gnu compiler..
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the printer driver for various Kodak ESP and Hero models. The scanner driver is now included in SANE.

1.This driver is probably not compatible with Puppies older than Wary 5.5.

2. Some models require a firmware update. Unfortunately, it can only be installed from Windows.

3. When you run CUPS, look for your model under Eastman Kodak Company.

4. Printing may be slower than with the official Windows driver. Be patient.

5. As a USB printer, the driver works OOTB. For WIFI, you will install it with the AppSocket/JetDirect protocol. In my tests, CUPS 1.4 could not auto-detect the device, so I had to install it manually with the URI

Code: Select all

socket://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:9100
6. This driver works with PeasyPrint. It's a bit slow and the margins are slightly off-centre, but the print quality is excellent.
Attachments
kodak_print-27.pet
Updated 2017-07-23
(44.05 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 23 Jul 2017, 18:05, edited 18 times in total.

thkn777

#4 Post by thkn777 »

666philb wrote:hi thkn777

to use the make command you need to install the devx for your version of puppy. if you're still using lucid 5.2.8 you can get the devx from quickpet - sfsget - gnu compiler..
*sigh*

Darn, friendly people around here and I make life hard for you :oops:

--> I'll provide some info in my signature from now on, so it should be easy for people to "guess" my system speccs.

And thanks: I wasn't expecting a system without compiler. On the other hand it's a great idea as the standard workstation doesn't need that. On a second thought I like how Puppy handles this.

Regards,
Th.
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz

thkn777

#5 Post by thkn777 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is a PET for the Kodak C2ESP driver. It will only work in Puppies with CUPS 1.4, so it won't work in Wary.

This package has never been tested. Please provide feedback.
Short story:
BINGO. Printer up and running.

Long story:
- printer is a Kodak ESP 7250 network printer connected to my LAN/wireless router
- laptop connected via WLAN to the said router so basically I'm in the same IP network
- tried a PING to my printers IP-adress: ok (that was to be expected, but it's always a good idea to test such things first)
- downloaded the PET and installed via simple double click in ROX-Filer
- CUPS version 1.4.3 (using JWM atm in case that's important)
- CUPS printer setup: new printer --> AppSocket/HP Jet Direct
- URI --> socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xx... = ip-adress without any ports or additional parameters
- printer installation dialog: I choosed something close to my printer (i.e. manufacturer=Kodak, model=7200, standard paper size=A4, single sided printing, standard resolution 600x1200dpi)
- after a short waiting CUPS offered a new installed printer
- printed a test page from CUPS: no error on laptop, printer starts to work. Result: test page looks good: A4 is used almost completely ("borderless"), color printing works
- next try: printing from Firefox - works well. Print result matches print preview, too.
- last try: printing an image from GIMP. Full page A4 --> looking good, result matches print preview.

ODD FINDINGS
Printing is MUCH slower than in M$ Windows for some reason. I have no experience in CUPS printing, maybe that's normal? Or the M$ drivers are optimized? Will try lower resolution in the evening.

Thanks for providing the PET :D

Kind regards,
Th.

Update:
- 300x1200dpi works, still printing quite slow
- double sided printing works
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

thkn777 wrote:Printer up and running.
Excellent. You are the first reported user of a Kodak printer in Puppy.
Printing is MUCH slower than in M$ Windows for some reason.
Kodak doesn't make Linux drivers for their products. It sounds like this reverse-engineered driver is not optimized for speed.

FWIW, there does not appear to be a Linux scanner driver for your ESP 7250.

thkn777

#7 Post by thkn777 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Excellent. You are the first reported user of a Kodak printer in Puppy.
Wohoo! :shock: 8)

As for the scanner... well thats sad... but since I've got some M$ Windows machines here, too - I can probably live with that.

thkn777

#8 Post by thkn777 »

UPDATE

The pet also works on Dpup Exprimo 5.x.9

Yours,
Th.

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

There is also an updated driver available that I used to get my Kodak esp c315 AiO printer working. I got it in the form of a deb and it was from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/.
There is one thing to keep in mind when selecting the driver for my printer.

When you get to the printer driver selection drop down, do NOT use KODAK.
Instead, use Eastman KODAK for the driver.

If you use KODAK, the EasyShare driver is installed.

If you instead use the Eastman Kodak driver, you will then get another sub menu to select your printer model from.

So far, I can print via both USB and wireless.
Wireless setup needs specific instructions to set it up though and if anyone has problems with that, I can step you through it.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated drivers for both printing and scanning are now available here.

These have been tested with an ESP-C310.

Les Kerf

#11 Post by Les Kerf »

I am able to print with a Kodak ESP 5250 printer from Wary 5.5 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop using the kodak_print-25.pet.

It prints slowly, but it does work.
Les

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

Les Kerf wrote:I am able to print with a Kodak ESP 5250 printer from Wary 5.5 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop using the kodak_print-25.pet.
Thanks for the report.

Kodak is the second vendor, after Lexmark, to exit the inkjet printer market. Hopefully, you will still be able to buy ink for your ESP 5250.

Les Kerf

#13 Post by Les Kerf »

Thanks for the heads-up about the printer ink. And thanks for all the effort you have put into this forum.
Les