Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 06:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Starting Up "Living Water 3.01"
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 13 [190 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep 2008, 16:34    Post subject:  

I don't care for meebo but a link might be nice to add unless you know of a real lightweight multi-client IM. Overall a nice selection - OpenSong is really good for church musicians nowadays, the guys i showed it to were quite impressed (although they don't share my enthusiasm for Linux..)
Last edited by Subito Piano on Sun 28 Sep 2008, 22:34; edited 1 time in total
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep 2008, 22:33    Post subject: thots....meandering...  

I'm a die-hard OpenOffice fan -- and i'd like to see at a minimum something included to show .ppt files, if not produce them. However, if you are thinking of adding k3b, would it be faster/more lightweight to use KOffice? I have no idea of the dependencies involved....

And of course, what about dealing with those stoopid .pptx and .docx, etc.. files??? Anything coming down the pike for our rescue?
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct 2008, 19:01    Post subject:  

me again...

Just thinking (always a dangerous game for me to play) -- is LW2 going to be based on Puppy 4.0 or 4.1 (or other)? To my untrained eye, judging by the rc, 4.1 seems preferable over 4.0.

Also -- i understand why LW will include Firefox version 2.xx, at least until Mozilla or whoever fixes the problems running FF3 under Linux. That being said, perhaps it would be good to include a half-dozen themes and a few good extensions in the release. I say this because Mozilla's new website makes the user do a bit of digging to find the appropriate version 2 addons; it might be a nice touch to already have added some different themes and have a few choice extensions all set for users to install -- you know, several themes already loaded, plus on the first-time use of FF be presented an option to enable or not enable whatever extensions are included, such as adblock, filterset G updater, ProCon, Greasemonkey, whatever.

Anyway -- you are doing a LOT for Puppy all-around, not just LW...thank you! Just don't burn your candle at both ends. Wink
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct 2008, 22:38    Post subject:  

Subito Piano wrote:
me again...

Just thinking (always a dangerous game for me to play) -- is LW2 going to be based on Puppy 4.0 or 4.1 (or other)? To my untrained eye, judging by the rc, 4.1 seems preferable over 4.0.

Also -- i understand why LW will include Firefox version 2.xx, at least until Mozilla or whoever fixes the problems running FF3 under Linux. That being said, perhaps it would be good to include a half-dozen themes and a few good extensions in the release. I say this because Mozilla's new website makes the user do a bit of digging to find the appropriate version 2 addons; it might be a nice touch to already have added some different themes and have a few choice extensions all set for users to install -- you know, several themes already loaded, plus on the first-time use of FF be presented an option to enable or not enable whatever extensions are included, such as adblock, filterset G updater, ProCon, Greasemonkey, whatever.

Anyway -- you are doing a LOT for Puppy all-around, not just LW...thank you! Just don't burn your candle at both ends. Wink

I like your ideas, I usually included firefox extensions and have a default theme when I make a release, The thing is that I've been working on "FirePup" and that might just be the best Firefox to use, Plus I Can theme it up.
I have been building everything on puppy 4.0, but I've been waiting around for a final 4.1 to be released. That to me would make the best base, due to all the upgrades over 4.0
Meanwhile I might like to see if I upgrade Firefox 2.0, because it has built in spellcheck, But first I might try to get it going on 1.5. Or I might just stick with 2.17 so many Firefox options these days Smile

ttuuxxx

Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct 2008, 02:02    Post subject:  

oh, yes -- i googled for "firepup" and saw both your efforts at optimising FF for Puppy. Kudos!
toomuchcomputertime

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct 2008, 20:41    Post subject:  

Thanks for your work on getting Bible programs working. I have been looking for Bible software for puppy.
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 02:20    Post subject:  

Living Water is a very well constructed puplet. I admire the work and thought that ttuuxxx put into it. I still boot it up just to examine how it is constructed. I'd say that ttuuxxx is a true master whom many here (especially myself) could learn from. I can only hope that when I get to the point of an actually release candidate for Concordia, it will be half as good as what ttuuxxx has done with Living Water.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2008, 02:37    Post subject:  

KF6SNJ wrote:
Living Water is a very well constructed puplet. I admire the work and thought that ttuuxxx put into it. I still boot it up just to examine how it is constructed. I'd say that ttuuxxx is a true master whom many here (especially myself) could learn from. I can only hope that when I get to the point of an actually release candidate for Concordia, it will be half as good as what ttuuxxx has done with Living Water.

Thanks for the kind words, I'll give you a hand, if you need one along the way, It would be my pleasure Smile
ttuuxxx

grouchyhermit

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov 2008, 17:12    Post subject:  

Do you have any updates as to when the next Living water will be released? I was looking on the churchpup thread (awesome puppy) and was under the impression that it was already out there but it wasn't mentioned (that I noticed) on your web site. Thanks.
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec 2008, 14:43    Post subject:  

Hmm -- pretty quiet around here lately. Any action beneath the surface??
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec 2008, 15:02    Post subject:  

Hi guys I've been working heavenly behind 4.2, I like where its going. Butttttttttt I've been spending so much time on gnome and kde while the versions advance so quickly, Take a look at Slackware for example usually they release an update every 6 months or so and a new release number every year plus. So what I've been debating while helping is maybe going it alone like graphpup has done, puppy has came to the point now where the latest kernel suites almost all the little laptops etc.
I would like to include a default compiler etc. It would add a bit of bloat, maybe 40-50MB but it would make the OS so much better.
ttuuxxx

Subito Piano

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec 2008, 02:00    Post subject:  

Boy, there's a good question! Inasmuch as Barry has "retired" and Puppy is falling to the community, one could say it's time for you to branch out and go it alone -- after all, nobody knows how long Puppy will keep going. On the other hand, you are an important part of the Puppy community and i for one would hate to see you go. Or were you thinking of both splitting off LW AND staying involved with Puppy development? That might be biting off more than you wanna chew, idk.

Curious if you have the stats on how many downloads of LW/FH you've had? That may help you answer your question...

BTW, i like the compiler idea. I've only needed to compile a few times, but i never could figure it out and had to substitute or do without.
Aronzak

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec 2008, 21:42    Post subject:  

Sorry if you've already said this, but does it look like LXDE is in at this stage?

BTW, there is a program in portableapps that uses sword. I wonder if it could be integrated? But I'm probably the only person that would appreciate such a feature.

.ppt's are probably fairly important for church users if they are ever going to use them in a church. If you are feeling adventurous, you might also include wine and openlp. http://www.openlp.org/
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2009, 11:00    Post subject:  

Did you try OpenSong? It's available for Puppy and i forget, it's either in the alpha of the next LW or ChurchPup Concordia. It generates not only presentations but also lyric sheets with transposable chords for the instrumentalists, very handy.
Aronzak

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan 2009, 22:00    Post subject:  

Subito Piano wrote:
Did you try OpenSong? It's available for Puppy and i forget, it's either in the alpha of the next LW or ChurchPup Concordia. It generates not only presentations but also lyric sheets with transposable chords for the instrumentalists, very handy.

No, I haven't tried it. Will get a release.

OpenLP had some features like CCLI integration that some churches might like. Then again, if there's a native alternative, that should be used.
Page 11 of 13 [190 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: