Selecting system font

Booting, installing, newbie
Irihapeti

Selecting system font

#1 Post by Irihapeti »

I installed scim-pinyin-0.5.91-i486.pet and chinese_input-0.01.pet (not for me but for someone else who uses my computer from time to time) and copied the font AR PL SanHeiSun Uni from my Ubuntu installation to Puppy's font folder. The pinyin entry is now working, which is great, but the text in my window title bars and Puppy's main menu looks absolutely awful, which isn't such a good thing.

I can't work out how to change the font that's used for these things, despite having had a look around. Would some kind person take pity on me and point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance
Irihapeti
Last edited by Irihapeti on Mon 24 Mar 2008, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

Have you seen SHS's thread here?

Irihapeti

#3 Post by Irihapeti »

muggins wrote:Have you seen SHS's thread here?
Yes, I did see it, and it seemed like a lot more than I need. However, I'll go away and see if I can get my head around it.

As usual, you were quick off the mark. Thanks.

Irihapeti

#4 Post by Irihapeti »

I've read SHS's thread and done a bit of experimenting. As I understand it (and I could have missed something), that thread is about improving font display in general.

I think that the problem I have is to do with the localisation that comes with the chinese_input pet. The SanHeiSun font ends up being used in preference for all system things, including English text. The trouble is that it looks bad and in some cases (code boxes in messages on this forum) it's unreadable.

I'd like to have English system text display in DejaVu sans (or similar) and keep the SanHeiSun font for Chinese only. How would I do that?

Irihapeti

Solved: sort of

#5 Post by Irihapeti »

I've sort of solved the problem by installing arialuni.ttf. However, I'm not very happy about using a proprietary font. :(

I'd prefer an open-source font that does the same job. I.e. display Chinese characters but do a reasonable job of rendering Latin characters in sans serif. Anyone have any suggestions?