Lxpanel

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
aragon

Lxpanel

#1 Post by aragon »

Home: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
Version: 0.5.5
The LXPanel, is the standard panel of LXDE. The desktop panel can generate menu for installed applications automatically from *.desktop files. It can be configured from GUI preference dialog, and there is no need to edit config files. The component provides a "Run" dialog with autocompletion.
Lxpanel is an advanced panel with inbuild applet support. To change the appearance, simply right-click on the panel (see known issues). It could be used (for example) with wm like openbox, which don't have their own panel.

To start lxpanel, you simply have to restart X as there is an option in /root/.xinitrc to start laxpanel if it is found on your system. if you're using a wm with inbuild panel, this might interfere with your wm-panel.

Lxpanel uses menu-cache from lxde to build/update the dynamic menu. fixmenus is not needed. if you have a new/changed desktop-file, the menu will change automatically after some seconds.

Not included are the frequency-scaling-applet as it does not work and the keyboard-language-indicator as it does not make much sense to me (i was not able to change the kb-lang, it only shows which one i'm using).

Submenus:
I've changed the menu-template to use puppys menu-structure. by default this is with all sub-menus. if you don't want this (no submenus), there is an alternative template at /etc/xdg/menus. rename the templates and restart lxpanel.

Dependencies:
- menu-cache (attached)

Known issues:
- Right-click on the network-applet will segfault lxpanel, but it works.
- Icons: lxpanel does not find all icons. for the menu-items i've solved that by symlinking the icons to /usr/share/lxpanel/icons. For the missing app-icons i have no clue at the moment.
- Sorting: lxpanel/menu-cache sorts the menus alphabetically, so the order of the menu is different from the default-order in puppy.
- Logout: For some of us (including me) the logout-options won't work properly. This is a puppy-problem, not a lxpanel-problem.

Compiled and tested in 4.31.

aragon
Attachments
lxpanel-0.5.5.pet
(180.26 KiB) Downloaded 1099 times
menu-cache-0.3.2.pet
(59.68 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
Last edited by aragon on Thu 04 Mar 2010, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Aragon! :)

I just wanted to really thank you for taking all the effort and time out of your busy life for compiling LXpanel AND Openbox ( see your other thread - but I'll comment here ) as you've done an absolutely excellent job here! This has to be - for me at least - the definite benchmark of what LXpanel should be!

This is fabulous... words fail me here...

I'm using it right now in my "Dpup-484b3", both LXpanel and the Openbox which you've made, and they're operating magnificently. I'm not experiencing ANY missing icons at all in my LXpanel here, nor missed programmes.

I wished I could say the same for the FBpanel I installed... That missed a plethora of .desktop files. ( I'll end up solving that problem myself though I'm sure... )

Once again Aragon: I really do appreciate the time and effort that you put into your compiling to produce such high quality programmes for we Puppy users. We are truly fortunate to have such people of your high calibre here in our midst. We should always remember this - and be thankful. And I have to remember to thank more people more often! :oops:

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

well you can't see me blushing...

for your info: i will post a small additional pet in the openbox thread. it builds the openbox-menu the same way lxpanel does (with menu-cache) so you'll be able to use the same sorting and structure for both menus.

aragon

aragon

#4 Post by aragon »

lxpanel and menu-cache updated to latest versions. see main post. please update both packages (for stability reasons).

aragon