Canon LBP460 Linux Driver

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Hugh

Canon LBP460 Linux Driver

#1 Post by Hugh »

A Linux driver for my Canon LBP460 laserprinter is available here:

http://www.boichat.ch/nicolas/lbp660/

While I've enjoyed using Puppy Linux 2.14 very reliably as an add-on to my Win98 system, there are some things I've not yet figured out.

Is there any way to install this driver into Puppy?

Would it need to be converted to a form compatible with Puppy?

If it is possible to get it going in Puppy then I'd be completely WinFree!
Last edited by Hugh on Sun 06 Apr 2008, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Being a n00bie I dont know the answers to your questions - but suspect they may be yes.

However until someone more knowledgeable advises, you may wish to consider a look at an alternative way of achieving a result.

This may or may not work, wont do any harm, will enhance your experience with Puppy and might even be fun.

If you are running 2.14 std issue alongside Win98 as a frugal install it is easy to make a backup copy of your save_file and tuck it away in a safe NewDir temporarily or just rename it or (belt & braces) do both.

Now your save_file is safe you can try a couple of alternative puppy's that may do the job.

!) 2.14r is a revisited and revised 214 and has probably more drivers included than any other puppy around so well worth a look.

2)TeenPup 2008 is another reworked and considerably enhanced 214 based puppy and again well worth a look - I suspect that when you see this it will make you want to flush 98 almost instantly.

3) Dingo4_alpha7 is a testing puppy but has the very latest canon, epsom, hp and other printer drivers available.

Hope the above helps and is of some interest - should at least be a fun something to try.

Best regards - Ray MK

Hugh

PUPPY Printer Driver options

#3 Post by Hugh »

Ray MK,

Thank you for the suggestions for a possible work-around.

With the exception of the LBP460 problem, PUPPY 2.14 has been so reliable I hadn't considered the possibility of an upgrade of this version.

I'll try your recommended procedure and come back with a report.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Hugh,

I've made a zip, of the file you linked to above. Try unzipping this and let us know whether it works or not. You'll need to have cups installed for it to work though. Extract the attached file to /.

The zip file contains the drivers for both the 660 & 460, but, not having either to test with, I'm unable to verify this works.
Attachments
lbp660-0.3.1.zip
(118.64 KiB) Downloaded 763 times

Hugh

CUPS and LBP460

#5 Post by Hugh »

Thank you Muggins,

I've downloaded the file you've offered and will see if I am able to install CUPS to try it out.

I'll try this before attempting the other options suggested by Ray MK.

If all goes well perhaps I can postpone upgrading to a newer version.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Hugh,

another possible option, if things don't work out using the method described in your link, is to use pakt's cups package, & the included .ppd file. Let us know how you go.

Hugh

LBP460 install progress update

#7 Post by Hugh »

I've upgraded to Puppy 3.01 and ran the Puppy 4.1 upgrade so it appears at bootup I've got a little of both. In any case it works very well and boots up noticably faster (Frugal Install with Win98).

I've attempted to install the LBP460 driver (See Muggins post above) and CUPS reported success, but still no success in getting anything to the printer.

Where in Puppy's file system should I look to find if the .ppd has been installed?

If the .ppd file isn't in its proper location would manually copying to the proper folder to make the installation right?

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Hugh,

the attached .zip, if extracted to /, will deposit Canon-LBP-460-lbp460.ppd & Canon-LBP-660-lbp660.ppd to directory /usr/share/cups/model.

If you run the CUPS printer wizard, and try adding a printer, do these two .ppd files show up as options?

Hugh

CUPS and the LBP460

#9 Post by Hugh »

When I run the Printer Wizard to add a printer I'm not able to connect to localhost:631 directly but am able to get there through this page.

Then I'm able to do the on-line install process and select the appropriate .ppd file, LPT1, etc...

It finally reports that the install is complete, the printer is idle accepting jobs; so then I attempt to print a test page and the job fails.

The version of CUPS it reports is 1.2.11

The .ppd file is properly located at /usr/share/cups/model.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed the LBP460 in Puppy and how they've gotten it to print.

Here I'm stuck.

Clearly, more research is in order...

I truly appreciate all the help you've provided. Many thanks!