NOP 301 now with Hotpup !

News, happenings
flagman

Epdfview will not run in r6?

#16 Post by flagman »

I've just completed a "stock" install of release 6 on flash and it's marvelous. However I've not been able to run epdfview. Launching it from a terminal results in an immediate "Segmentation fault".

Can anyone confirm this problem - or the lack of it? Thanks.

Henry

#17 Post by Henry »

Hi, flagman,

Yes, I can confirm the epdfview problem. As I noted earlier:

"I noticed these problems -

1. epdfview doesn't run. Terminal says: segmentation fault

2. xine doesn't run. Terminal says: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: invalid ELF header

3. openoffice apps (from sfs, work perfectly in r5) don't work. They start and the splash screen completes and the app immediately disappears. Terminal says, e.g.: swriter: command not found"

Henry

gray

R6

#18 Post by gray »

Henry: Regarding management-of-removable-drives-and-media documentation. Yes I am aware of that information. Unfortunately it requires udev and hal to be installed and correctly configured. I had a go at this but it is way beyond me (it looks closer to black magic than anything else :evil: ), and I think udev at least needs to be integrated into the very core of the distro. However, this is a likely future direction as BK has hinted that he will be including udev in Dingo at some stage :) .

As to problems with epdfview, xine , OO after using the pup_301.sfs replacement method of 'upgrade' - as I said this can be hit and miss. I tried it for r5 to r6 several times and it has worked perfectly everytime for me, but I can see a million reasons why it should not work :? .

Have you tried removing configuration files from your root directory, so that the app is forced to recreate them? e.g remove the .config/epdfview directory, and the .xine directory. For OO try unloading the sfs with the bootmanager, reboot, save, reboot and load in the sfs again. Unionfs does some strange things with the various layers and I am convinced there are some nasty bugs within unionfs still. Other than that use a clean start for R6.

Fishy: I would suggest you have some download problems - other people have downloaded and used the iso OK. I am trying to download and check again but the puppylinux.ca site is appallingly slow at the moment (only 10Kb/sec !! it is usually 15 or 16 times that speed).

flagman: by 'stock' install do you mean with a fresh savefile? If so I dont see why epdfview would not work. I changed nothing in that area going from R5 to R6 and have checked frugal install to HD and install to flash pendrive and they work fine for me. I know it does not help you but it is nigh impossible to fix a problem that I cant reproduce :oops: .

Henry

#19 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Gray.

I'll do some checking probably tomorrow and report back.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy with r5.

Henry

#20 Post by Henry »

OK, I found some time now, and did the three checks you suggested. No change was observed.

However I did find that the md5 check sum was bad. Should have checked that first. But I practically never have a problem with download integrity, and tend not to worry about it when the program basically works. Live and learn.

Henry

Fishy

#21 Post by Fishy »

www.puppylinux.ca/NOP
http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP/puppy-301- ... md5sum.txt
4d055b80c4d35d959692f4bd167e7d6f puppy-301-NOP-r6.iso

md5sum puppy-301-NOP-r6.iso
fc7e6184afd47f68a983d9861d96b85a puppy-301-NOP-r6.iso

Not sure what is wrong, but didn't feel like mucking up my existing full install.

Help gratefully appreciated :D

Henry

#22 Post by Henry »

That's the same checksum I got, Fishy

gray

R6 iso checksum

#23 Post by gray »

I finally managed to download the R6 iso and got a bad checksum. Looks like it got corrupted in the upload ?

Anyway I have re-uploaded, re-downloaded and checked the md5sum again and it is all sweet now. :oops:

Henry

#24 Post by Henry »

Looks like a happy Easter morning!

After several tries from a slow and error prone download link it finally sped up and completed. Good md5. R6 looks OK now - previous three faults are gone.

Henry

Henry

XFCE Menu Editor

#25 Post by Henry »

Hi, Gray,

I know this is an old question, and it seems no one has an easy answer, but . . .

I know basically how to edit the .desktop files to modify the menu, and I have a good and complete menu. But I would like to move some items around. Am not sure how the categories, etc. work.

How can one (simply, if possible) get the menu editor to actually display the complete menu? It seems this is its purpose, so one could graphically move items up and down, etc.It just seems there ought to be a way to do this. Maybe the menu editor is worthless - you left it out previously.

richhard

#26 Post by richhard »

mistake !
Last edited by richhard on Mon 31 Mar 2008, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

richhard

#27 Post by richhard »

Hi Gray,

just downloaded r6 with no problems: md5 is ok, epdfview, openoffice
and xine (!!) are working fine, and Hotpup is really nice to have :D

just one question: 8)
what's about Xsane scanner utility?
Up to now I was not able to bring my scanner to work,
eventhough sane-find-scanner ist detecting it.

I have a Brother DCP-130c Printer/Scanner unit. It is easy and smooth to
bring the printer to work, but then... :cry:

Any helpful hint would gratly be appreciated! :!:

dinky

#28 Post by dinky »

Thank you thank you thank you thank you soooo much for hotpup! That is a turly awesome program. Thanks also for fixing that bug on bootup, I was having the same problems. I'll install the latest hotpup you've posted in the next day or so.

I'm really impressed by NOP, and specifically the wNOP pupplet, both of which I've ben basing a new pupplet around, 'TigerPup'. Do we need a new pupplet? Probably not. But I'm having fun with this, which is the point of Puppy. Basically creating something I can hand to my newbie friends who hate computers, say 'Welcome to Linux' and 'have fun'. Am getting there, but there's lots of documentation I'm not inspired to write at the moment...

Anyway, question about NOP rc-6. I've installed it on a friend's v. old 64 Mb 400 Mhz pc, and found the only way to run it properly is as a full install with a swap file. NOP flies very happily on that. What I haven't been able to do is install either abiword or openoffice successfully... keeps complaining about missing libs which seem all but non-existent. Without using a .sfs, how the heck do I get these working? Can I use a .sfs under a full hard drive install? Also, I've been trying to install Pebble, for which I need to edit the initrd.gz file. Doesn't seem there is one with the full install... anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm aware I could remaster the NOP cd to have all these programs on it, but don't really feel like doing this. I could also install puppy 3.01 straight on there instead, but also don't really feel like doing this. Apart from not liking the default windows manager much, it's a bloody hassle. Thanks people!

gray

Xfce menu et al

#29 Post by gray »

Henry: I set iup the menu so that the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications are picked up automatcally. If you want to move some around you can try editing the category in those files. Because of the way the menu is set up the menu editor is not very useful. You can use it to add your own submenus etc, but it is a very manual process (back up the /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml file first - to save inevitable heartache later :wink: ). if you want you can remove the green 'include system' line which is the bit which does the auto menu and redo the whole menu -ouch :twisted: .

richhard: Unfortunately in NOP 301 Xsane is not included to save space. Agonised a while over that. You should be able to install using the package manager. Install sane then xsane. Not tried it myself though. I think just like printers you may be unlucky in that your scanner may not be supported.

dinky: Puppy is about having fun - there is always room in the kennels for more puppies :D . The easiest way to add abiword is by the goffice_301.sfs module. I have put my sfs files on the harddrive at the top level with the rest of the NOP frugal install files in a pup301 subdirectory - there should be initrd.gz in there too. I use the LinNwin boot method to optionally boot win win98. You can install abiword by the package manager also, but it misses some dependencies. It should pick up that it needs fribidi and install that automatically, but you will have to use petget to individually install libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintgui and goffice pet packages. Then you need to edit the abiword.desktop file in /usr/share/applications to change the icon line to Icon=word48.

dinky

#30 Post by dinky »

Thanks for that, sorted out abiword. Also had issues with xine and epdfview not working with rc6 on a full hard-drive install. I'm going to redownload the iso later, and see if this was the issue... I thought the md5sum checked out, but can't remember.

Also, re hotpup, is there a way to tweak it so that the icons line up by default on the right side instead of the left? Xfce will remember them when you restart X, but that means after first boot up of puppy from the live cd all the icons are first on the left. Thanks.

jkurver

how to activate Nop

#31 Post by jkurver »

hi,

I downloaded the puppy 3.01 NOP r6 but when i burn it to cd and start it up, I get the "normal" puppy dektop
and not the NOP version

Am I doing something wrong?

(beginner)

gray

R6

#32 Post by gray »

dinky: It is not possible to specify where Xfce4 first puts the device icons - yet. I may be able to figure out how in a future update :? .

jkurver: I dont see how you can have the normal desktop :shock: - jwm and rox have been removed from NOP !! Maybe you have mixed up your iso's when burning the CD ?

tronkel

#33 Post by tronkel »

@jkurver

Maybe you are picking up the normal desktop from a pup_save file that already exists in your home partition.

Try booting from live CD with the cheat code:
puppy pfix=ram
Type this in the first screen.

If this works, you'll probably have to either repair or scrap your pup_save file
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

jkurver

desktop

#34 Post by jkurver »

Thanks for the reply!
you are right, when I installed to harddisk, I got the xfce desktop.
Great Job by the way!

its very very fast. I tried most distros with xfce desktop, but this one will stay on my (old) laptop for sure

does anyone know how to get virualbox working in puppy NOP?

greetings

dinky

#35 Post by dinky »

Hi Gray, I'll likely add hotpup with only hotplugged items active on first boot, rather than local hard disks. While most systems won't have that many partitions, booting on mine makes the screen look a bit silly...lol. All right when organised... Will play around with preconfiguring the settings before remastering, and see what I come up with. Also, is it possible to set the default trash, root, and File System Icons in Xforce to the right instead of the left?

Below is a link to the first pre-release of my pupplet. I'd love feedback if anyone's interested. There's several things I need to complete, fix, and add, so this is very much a pre release. That said, it's designed as a pupplet for complete computer novices, and will come with extensive documentation (yet to be written). It's based on wNOP(compiz-fusion included), encorporates more recent versions of NOP, and includes a customised graphical layout, additional programs, and scripts to make saving to a usb, and rebooting on another computer, easy.
As it's intended for people who won't need to configure anything other than personal preferences at startup, I hvae made it 170Mb, including programs such as Gimp, Abiword, Xine, and additional Xine codecs.

To have a look, go to http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup and grab one of the iso's. tigerpupversion1-3.iso is the first pre-release without a splash screen, and tigerpupversion1-3splash.iso includes pebble, which I am still playing with. All the best!