Macpup 2.17.1 Alpha 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
CEL

#76 Post by CEL »

@nic2109: Thanks for the warning!

I will be sure to post as soon as I have made a remaster (or sfs maybe). :)

prit1

#77 Post by prit1 »

@Django: You are welcome. And thanks for the suggestion. Trash can be in the next version update or maybe if CEL comes up with his remaster, we can request him to add this.

earlytv

#78 Post by earlytv »

Thanks to all for working on the MACPUP, MACOSX stuff. Other linux have versions that look like a MAC but talk about bloat, huge size, Like gOS that is on the linux system WALMART used to sell, try almost 700 meg, dont even fit on some blank CDs I have.

Off to vacation see ya all next week!!
Retired from GM, a Etech on engine electronics
Like to play with older computers and TVs

DENNIS

Django

#79 Post by Django »

Yeah I'm looking forward to Cels remastered puppy.

Boo2themoon

#80 Post by Boo2themoon »

I will be sure to post as soon as I have made a remaster (or sfs maybe).
Thats great news, looking forward to it. :D
--
Just spotted this post by magerlab about the midori browser
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 801#185801

lesel

#81 Post by lesel »

Thanks for the link the browser looks promising. I use Webkit on my Mac and it is very fast http://software.twotoasts.de/?page=midori

midori - Web browser

Midori is a lightweight web browser.

* Full integration with GTK+2.
* Fast rendering with WebKit.
* Tabs, windows and session management.
* Bookmarks are stored with XBEL.
* Searchbox based on OpenSearch.
* Custom context menu actions.
* User scripts and user styles support.
* Extensible via Lua scripts.

Requirements: GTK+ 2.6, libsexy, WebkitGtk , libXML2

earlytv

#82 Post by earlytv »

Alpha 1B works fine been on and off MON now TUE. Did you add new items? In setup Cups + a older printer set up, and other items? System its on, gateway, was in the trash. Has 98SE and now Puppy. Use alpha to trouble shoot system, looked like was locking up but just reseat of power connecter on hard drive. I used pfix=ram but Alpha still used swap PARTITION so started to act strange when HDD turned off? Upgraded ram, noisey cool fan and now system from trash as solid as ALPHA 1B
XORG, because of hardware in this system, will always go to LCD and older CRT selection screen, never to auto select. With all the old STUFF I have around the manual selection for Xorg works better sometimes then Xorg auto select. Anyone know how to change or set up XORG so it would be easy to get to this manual select page at will? Then in other systems I could turn auto select off.

DENNIS

prit1

#83 Post by prit1 »

@earlytv: By manual select, do you mean the one you get for xorg setup from the setup menu after booting up?

earlytv

#84 Post by earlytv »

This list starts with several LCD screens then several old CRT screens to pick from and at the bottom if you dont like any of those it lets you input the specs of your monitor. So you will have a LCD at 640x480, a LCD at 800x600, ect, then a old 14 inch CRT at 800x600, a old 15 inch CRT at 1024x768, ect.

DENNIS

rAndMLemnT

Wow

#85 Post by rAndMLemnT »

Puppy in general and this derivative in particular are the bee's knees. I would go so far as to suggest that the I-candy you folks produce collectively and individually, equals or surpasses that of E17.

All the best,
RDE

prit1

#86 Post by prit1 »

@rAndMLemnT: Thanks for the positive feedback.

smokey01

#87 Post by smokey01 »

I had a look and a play with an iMac yesterday and was impressed except for the price.

I liked that bar thingy at the bottom of the screen that enlarges when the cursor is placed upon it. Is this called the dock that people here are referring to?

prit1

#88 Post by prit1 »

@smokey01: Yes it is the dock that people are referring to. In Macpup, we are using wbar which is low on resources but still gives a good look. But the one that would be more closer to the dock you see in an iMac would be the Cairo dock, but it is a little heavy on resources.

smokey01

#89 Post by smokey01 »

prit1 wrote:@smokey01: Yes it is the dock that people are referring to. In Macpup, we are using wbar which is low on resources but still gives a good look. But the one that would be more closer to the dock you see in an iMac would be the Cairo dock, but it is a little heavy on resources.
prit1, Does wbar do the wave motion when the cursor has focus or does that only happen with the Cairo dock?

TIA.

prit1

#90 Post by prit1 »

@smokey01: Wbar does magnify the icon when the cursor is over that icon. I dont know if this is what you are referring to as wave motion. Try Macpup and you can see the wbar in action. You can download Macpup (latest version) from the first post. Try the first link (sendspace.com) as this is a fast download location. I have this account for another 7 or 8 more days. The other links will keep working.

smokey01

#91 Post by smokey01 »

prit1 wrote:@smokey01: Wbar does magnify the icon when the cursor is over that icon. I dont know if this is what you are referring to as wave motion. Try Macpup and you can see the wbar in action. You can download Macpup (latest version) from the first post. Try the first link (sendspace.com) as this is a fast download location. I have this account for another 7 or 8 more days. The other links will keep working.
Hi prit1, I downloaded the iso from sendspace.com and it is quite fast compared to some others.

When I tried to boot off the cd it stopped when it tried to find puppy on a HDD. Why would it be looking there. It tried both menu items and both failed at the same spot.

Any ideas?

prit1

#92 Post by prit1 »

@smokey01: Sorry to hear that. Has any version of Puppy worked on this PC of yours? Macpup is based on the most stable (IMHO) of Puppy (2.17.1). What is the last message that you see on the screen?

Was the md5 correct after the download? Did you check that?

smokey01

#93 Post by smokey01 »

prit1 wrote:@smokey01: Sorry to hear that. Has any version of Puppy worked on this PC of yours? Macpup is based on the most stable (IMHO) of Puppy (2.17.1). What is the last message that you see on the screen?

Was the md5 correct after the download? Did you check that?
I only run Puppy on this machine, current version is 3.01. I have run just about every version of Puppy since about 1.09. This also includes many of the variants such as Teenpup, Dingo, Pupeee etc.

I did check the md5 and it matched.

I will take a photo of the screen and post it so you can see the exact problem and send it in a different message.

smokey01

#94 Post by smokey01 »

prit1, The screen shot as promised.
Attachments
macpup.jpg
(45.6 KiB) Downloaded 892 times

prit1

#95 Post by prit1 »

@smokey01: At the boot options, can you try typing pmedia=idecd (i guess you are booting from a internal cd drive)? Noone else reported such a problem. I dont have this problem on both my machines.