Macpup 2.17.1 Alpha 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
earlytv

#16 Post by earlytv »

Live CD was off system for a while. I had firefox error reporting on and gave them all the info they wanted at each crash. When I did a reboot of LIVE CD some files were in download buffer that said they had been installed so I removed them from buffer, I had not ask for any downloads except the purple apple backround which was also still in the download buffer.
I have not had a firefox crash for awhile even though I do same things I did before that caused a crash?????????????????????? I should have wrote down what was downloaded but I didnt.
Even though the Road Runner service can download at 1.4meg bytes per sec most puppy sites dont come close on any of my systems and some sites, like when I tried living water only did 43k bits per sec and said it would take hours???? In those cases I dont download until I am sleeping and hope when I get up it made it.
My road runner service pegs the meter on the speakeasy internet speed test site.

So if I dont come back quick it may be a slow download is being put off till later.

(edit) the, mirrored on dokupuppy, site did a average of 270k bits per sec I can wait for that.

nic2109

#17 Post by nic2109 »

Th3_uN1Qu3 wrote:Opera is great. Try it and you won't be disappointed. ;) But get the latest version (9.26) which has all the goodies like Speed Dial (quick access to up to 9 pages), a thing without i can't live anymore. :P
I agree that Opera is Good Stuff. I'm on 9.24 and that version does have speed-dial, so there's no need to restrict yourself to 9.26.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

steevieb

#18 Post by steevieb »

I'm on 9.24 and that version does have speed-dial
So does Opera 9.22

earlytv

#19 Post by earlytv »

Tried the opera 9.25 from above and road runner dont work, it needs some kind of flash player, all else on opera seems to work.

On 3rd reboot of live CD macpup, firefox back to shutting off.

prit1

#20 Post by prit1 »

@earlytv: Did you try reinstalling firefox pet that ttuuxxx had mentioned?

I guess I should have just kept seamonkey as this works flawlessly on all my machines.

I will let you know when I have an update or fix.

Thanks for your patience.

earlytv

#21 Post by earlytv »

opera 9.25 did not work with only my home base site for Road Runner but Sea Monkey does. Site starts to load but never gets done and then screen goes white???
It took over nite to get the Living waters download with Opera and that does same only Road Runner site dont load or work???

Just tried http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/progra ... irefox.pet
as said above and that download is taking to long so I stoped for now.

Anyone know of a super downloader for PUPPY, because right now its like I am back at 56k modem days?????? ttuuxxx gave me in the past a site for Inferno because it takes soooo long to down load and it went way faster or I never would have got inferno.
This system, WIN 98SE and puppy share. Even though WIN on speed test downloads 1/3 as fast as puppy the WIN sites use that speed so WIN can get from WIN sites, like Micro Soft, 300 to 400K BYTES per sec that means a 10meg file takes about 25 sec a 100 meg 250 sec a litte over 4 min. I have used puppy to get a WIN package and then store it in Win and that can go as fast as 800 to 900k bytes per sec. Some item are here before I release the ENTER KEY.
Last edited by earlytv on Sun 16 Mar 2008, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from GM, a Etech on engine electronics
Like to play with older computers and TVs

DENNIS

ttuuxxx

#22 Post by ttuuxxx »

earlytv wrote:opera 9.25 did not work with only my home base site for Road Runner but Sea Monkey does. Site starts to load but never gets done and then screen goes white???
It took over nite to get the Living waters download with Opera and that does same only Road Runner site dont load or work???

Just tried http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/progra ... irefox.pet
as said above and that download is taking to long so I stoped for now.

Anyone know of a super downloader for PUPPY, because right now its like I am back at 56k modem days?????? ttuuxxx gave me in the past a site for Inferno because it takes soooo long to down load and it went way faster or I never would have got inferno.
This system, WIN 98SE and puppy share. Even though WIN on speed test downloads 1/3 as fast as puppy the WIN sites use that speed so WIN can get from WIN sites, like Micro Soft, 300 to 400K BYTES per sec that means a 10meg file takes about 25 sec a 100 meg 250 sec a litte over 4 min. I have used puppy to get a WIN package and then store it in Win and that can go as fast as 800 to 900k bytes per sec. Some item are here before I release the ENTER KEY.
Yes earl the best multithread downloader for puppy is ProZilla
get it here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 116&t=5886
or if you want to try it straight away, load up living water and its on the desktop. bottom left corner of the screen:) I included that with living water because I was using it for sometime to download iso's you can specify how many threads with it, I usually do 8, so its around 8x faster. I have a 2MB/sec connection and basically most sites are around 128kb or less for iso's so I easily get 900kb/sec with it :)
ttuuxxx

and the second best is here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 88&t=25973
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Dingo

#23 Post by Dingo »

earlytv wrote:Anyone know of a super downloader for PUPPY, because right now its like I am back at 56k modem days????.
on dokupuppy_
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... ad_manager

I have a very large collection of download manager, you can try what is best for you
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

earlytv

#24 Post by earlytv »

First the good news!
Thanks DINGO I got ProZilla in its 3 chunks from your site and they downloader super fast. I now set it up with what it calls 8 sockets, 8 lines
and went for http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/progra ... irefox.pet
from above. Four sockets went fast , three had errors with one retry and one had 5 retrys but all got loaded. I installed Firefox and all went well I could not get a crash, it even loaded my home page for Road Runner.

Now bad news? The Prozilla Icons for click and start were gone after firefox install???? I found a shortcut icon and put that on main screen but dont know how to get ORIG start icon back?
Road Runner site went down and FireFox never timed out it just tried forever to get RR? I hit stop.
Now the real bad news? Firefox now will crash again when it was super stable before???
I say again I am a hardware guy not software so when these things all happen I dont know WHY??????????? Could something have changed in FIREFOX when RR was down????????

DENNIS

KJ

#25 Post by KJ »

Where can I get a copy of the lightweight IceWM from ttuuxxx ? I have checked his site but haven't find it.

KJ

prit1

#26 Post by prit1 »

@KJ: Here you go.

KJ

#27 Post by KJ »

WOW that was fast!

@ Prit1 .... Thanks, I've been looking for a current IceWM without all the bells and whistles.

KJ

8-bit

#28 Post by 8-bit »

Downloaded and burnt the Macpup cd.
Booted it on my HP Pavilion 512 megs ram 1.3ghz processor 2 hard drives and tekram scsi zip drive and relisys infinity scanner.
Anyway, scsi not detected.
Help icon on desktop and menu does nothing.
Firefox seemed to work well, did a self upgrade and survived.
Gxine played a movie in both windowed and full screen mode.
Xorg did not work with my ATI video card, but nothing else has either!
It seems HP never allowed for disabling the onboard video with this PC!
Xvesa working fine though.
I compliment you!
A very clean and well thought out layout that is easy to navigate.
To avoid the menu for some, a shutdown icon with a sub menu would be the icing on the cake!

ttuuxxx

#29 Post by ttuuxxx »

8-bit wrote:Downloaded and burnt the Macpup cd.

To avoid the menu for some, a shutdown icon with a sub menu would be the icing on the cake!
<--- very possible in future releases

prit1

#30 Post by prit1 »

@8-bit: Thanks for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate this.

@Kj: You are welcome. Ttuuxxx should be thanked for this work.

earlytv

#31 Post by earlytv »

prit1
Anything else you want me to try? Tried opera worked except road runner page. Tried fire fox from above worked for awhile then shutdown. Tried fire fox from above on hard drive 2.17 which sea monkey has worked forever on, fire fox worked for awhile then shut down and now sea monkey would shut down and it never has? I couldnt get sea monkey to work correct again so I saved all personal data to windows folder and did a reinstall of 2.17 on hard drive and put back personal data. SEA MONKEY works again??????

Last try new load of live CD never went to ROAD RUNNER just in case it is the cause of my crash problem.
1) did a bookmark to AOL went ok
2) did a bookmark to YAHOO went ok
3) did a bookmark to this forum firefox shutdown

If you do a opera version ROAD RUNNER for sure needs a flash player, might need java, and maybe directx???? I dont really know?

edit1) I have other puppy live CDs with older versions of fire fox I will try them out.

edit2) just tried Pizza pup with fire fox 2.0.0.3. went from bookmark to bookmark fast slow, typed in new bookmarks, solid. It has no Flash player so no yahoo movie previews and no RR home page? Tried must be 80-100 site changes?

edit3) just tried regression 2.02 I did same as above except yahoo movie preview says flash player too old and RR home page does part load then says page done? what there is of the page works. fire fox is 1.5.0.6

edit4) Final, just tried inferno. I did same as above except yahoo movie ok and RR home page ok. Firefox 2.0.09
this set up works best so far?
Last edited by earlytv on Mon 17 Mar 2008, 00:36, edited 3 times in total.

DENNIS

KJ

#32 Post by KJ »

@ ttuuxxx Thanks for making a icewm.pet. Enough forums have been about IceWM (I think it won the Puppy WM faceoff some time back) and I'm surprised that it hasn't been added to the official package when a couple other WMs have been included. It's been really stable for me and my n00bieness.

However, It looks like your icewm6.pet worked fine for prit1 so I thought I would try it with pup396a6 and the dependency check said that it was missing the liblmlib.so.l (haven't found that yet) and a file for blinky (which I usually don't run in IceWM). Couldn't get it to run with 396 .... then I tried it on a pup214R. Got a nice white background, no menu, no icons except for ROX and an open blinky window, no toolbar ..... and no escape as 'xwin jwm' no longer worked either. Ended up dumping the pup_save file. luckily, I was running the live CD with the standard pup_save file so no big loss .... just a bit of excitement.

KJ

ttuuxxx

#33 Post by ttuuxxx »

KJ wrote:@ ttuuxxx Thanks for making a icewm.pet. Enough forums have been about IceWM (I think it won the Puppy WM faceoff some time back) and I'm surprised that it hasn't been added to the official package when a couple other WMs have been included. It's been really stable for me and my n00bieness.

However, It looks like your icewm6.pet worked fine for prit1 so I thought I would try it with pup396a6 and the dependency check said that it was missing the liblmlib.so.

KJ
I haven't tried 396 but my icewm does work with it as reported by others, but yes a lib has to be added, I have found the missing lib and packaged it for you, just click to install the lib patch.
I usually get icewm going by first exiting to prompt then type startx icewm
blinky should also work.
as 2.14R goes that another whole mess of worms, The author has choose to manually move the file system around and rebuilt it by scripts, Yes it sounds great in theory but very counter productive for alternative window managers. Don't hold me on it, but thats what I've heard and i haven't tried it on 2.14r with icewm lite as of yet because I'm still building the icewm as we speak. Originally it was for the 3.0 series.
But I do want to release it for series 3&4 in the near future.
So please tell me if you need any other libs for the 396 puppy, Thanks for everything.
ttuuxxx
Attachments
puppy396patch.pet
(377 Bytes) Downloaded 539 times

prit1

#34 Post by prit1 »

@earlytv: Thanks for the detailed feedback and testing. I was considering packaging the wbar and the setup and create a pet for 2.17 Puppy. But need time to do this as I am very busy with work and personal stuff for now. I will get back to you soon. I am hoping to get this done by this week.

Btw, are you more interested in the Mac look for Puppy or just a good looking and working Puppy ?

prit1

#35 Post by prit1 »

*** Post removed as it was a duplicate. (Due to forum issues) ***
Last edited by prit1 on Mon 17 Mar 2008, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.