Consolidated dialup modem UI performance fixes

rerwin

Consolidated dialup modem UI performance fixes

#1 Post by rerwin »

I have collected and added to my various recent modem fixes, here, because they have been provided in the forum threads in response to particular problems. Portions should be applicable to 4.1 once Barry settles on his redesign of modem initialzation, but not yet. Although the interfaces appear unchanged, the logic behind them is corrected (IMHO) to behave as one would expect.

The main improvements are:
1. Modem changes and removal are detected; a turned-off serial modem is retained only if no other modem is found (as in 4.00)

2. Prioritization of detection: serial, USB, PCI modems in that order, so that plugged-in modems are found before internal modems (as in 4.00).

3. PupDial support of USB modems, by use of /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyUSB0 softlinks to their nodes in the /dev/input and /dev/usb directories.

4. Extension of the prioritization to- and correction of the PupDial Probe function, so that USB modems are tested before PCIs and that only the appropriate linmodem is detected.

5. Multiple serial modem detection is controlled by user selection, although probing detects only the first regardless of any override.

6. Modem Test excludes the "ttyS_..." modems (ess, pctel) because such tests apparently corrupt the modem setup.

7. Avoids disruption of PupDial if a backtick (`) appears in the probe results (if a touchpad is on a serial port).

8. Support for a separate dotpet for Conexant "DGC" modems (provided in a separate posting, below).

Notes:
1. Selection of ser1al modems is through editing of file /etc/modemoverrides. The current modem is represented by a "#ignore" statement; removal of the "#" activates skipping that modem on subsequent boot-ups.

2. Although the override scheme also supports other modem types (4.00 only), the better way to skip a modem is to blacklist its driver, with BootManager. The corresponding drivers are:
ttyACM0 ------ cdc-acm
ttySL0 (USB) - slusb
ttyUSB0 ------- pl2303 (PL...)
536ep ---------- intel536ep
537 ------------- intel537ep
ttyS_ESS0 ---- esscom
ttyLT0 --------- ltserial
ttyS_PCTEL -- pctel
ttySL0 (PCI) -- slamr
3.This fix set does not cause Puppy to recognize any additional modems -- that is another fix that can be substituted for by having BootManager load the appropriate driver (above) as an "added module".

These fixes are provided as two dotpets, one for all supported Puppy versions (4.00, 3.01, 3.00, 2.17) and an additional one for 4.00 only. I have tested this on all of the supported puppy releases. Please provide feedback on anything that "should work" but doesn't.
Attachments
modem-fix_diff_files.tar.gz
Difference files from 4.00. (Fixes annotated as 4.04).
The 403-404 directory reflects proposed and untested changes to new 4.1 scripts
and rc.local0 if it were retained.
Primarily for Barry's use.
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
modem_improvements-add_to_P4.00_only-3.pet
Add this only for Puppy 4.00 -- requires the "P2.17-P400" .pet (below).
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 932 times
modem_improvements-P2.17-P4.00-3.pet
Install on 2.17, 3.00, 3.01, 4.00
(10.76 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 18 Jul 2008, 03:16, edited 3 times in total.

rerwin

Support for new modem types

#2 Post by rerwin »

This posting will contain dotpet attachments as they become available, for experimentation.

1. USR 5610-based PCI hardware modems, although 3Com provides a driver, does not appear to need a special driver for the 2.6 kernel, so none is provided here. My 3cp2977 version shows up as ttyS1 or ttyS2 -- don't know why it changes. This modem does not get recognized in 2.17, but 3.01 & 4.00 are OK.

2. Conexant DGC USB modems use the dgcmodem package from Linuxant. I installed it and captured the results for the dotpet, dgcmodem-1.06. I cannot test it, so hope for feedback. In addition, I provide a dotpet containing the full driver package, for those preferring to build their own. I need to know whether my version works everywhere, or that I need to add country identification as in other modem scripts.

(Attachment coming soon, but I want to reserve this second posting for the additions.)