Teenpup 2008 liveCD stalls

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rberke

Teenpup 2008 liveCD stalls

#1 Post by rberke »

On my laptop Teenpup 2008 startup begins similarly to Puppy 3.01, but the startup has these problems:

1. Hung at serial detect. Had to power cycle, then disable serial in BIOS to be able to proceed.
2. Copying pup_214.sfs took over 4 minutes
3. After 'Setting up network interface Done' status, startup will not continue.

I gave it 11 minutes. No further errors. No progress.

Laptop:
HP/Compaq nc6400. Centrino Duo 1.9Ghz, 2 GBytes ram

Since I'm composing this while using Puppy 3.01 from its liveCD / multisession CD, I'm thinking I don't have a hardware and driver problem.

How do I run a check of the ISO file in Windows XP? (my harddrive is encrypted by Pointsec under Windows. Linux can't use it.)

Thanks,
Richard

john biles

#2 Post by john biles »

Hello rberke,
TEENpup2008 was tested on 1 7 year old Pentium III compaq persario 1200 Laptop, same spec 8 year old PC, 4 year old Pentium 4 2.4Ghz PC, 4 year old celeron 2.6 ghz PC and lastly a 3 month old 1.8ghz duo core 1 GB of ram Acer laptop and it booted fine with those. I don't have an answer sorry!

I know Barry K updated alot of the core between Puppy 2.14 (TEENpup 2008's base) and Puppy 3.01 This led to some older PC's not working. Maybe the reverse has happen to you.

Lastly have you tried Puppy 2.14 to see if that runs on your Laptop?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

How do I run a check of the ISO file in Windows XP?
If you're asking about checking the md5sum, there are several freeware md5sum checkers available for windows. Just google md5sum.exe.

With a 500Mbyte download, it's definitely sensible to check the md5sum before burning to cdrom.

http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/DOS/MD5progs.html

rberke

Teenpup 2008 install progress. Need help to save to CD

#4 Post by rberke »

Thanks for your replies.

I found an MS-Windows md5 checksum checker. At first I used it incorrectly, and came up with a bad value for the ISO I had downloaded. So I re-downloaded the ISO. The fresh download checked fine. I found out that I had misentered the checksum value to compare the first time. As I noticed same bytecount on both downloaded ISO files, I reran the checker and found the original ISO download checked perfectly. I had to suspect my burned CD-R.

I was fresh out of CD-R media, so I prepped a CD-RW disk. I realize that CD-RW writes much slower, but most of my intended use will be in RAM or out to network volumes. I burned the ISO again, and startup proceeded okay. There's still that long (3 minutes) of copying the .sfs file, but the CD is running all the while. Not a stall. No stall either right after the 'Setting up network interface Done' line. Proceeded to the keyboard selection, and then X settings, then on to full desktop open.

Hurray! So far...

I set up my wireless connection. Explored a tiny fraction (!!) of what Teenpup 2008 contains. And tried to save my session as I have with Puppy 3.01. I couldn't find a shortcut/direct way to do it, so I invoked
Applications > Logout > Shutdown

The X environment shut down, and I was faced with a huge simple-text display like the old CGA mode. Maybe 16 lines fit the screen. As best as I could tell, there was no way to indicate the save of the session to my live-CD. I was confronted with aiming to the hard drive. Since I was using a work machine with Pointsec encryption of the entire hard drive (activated upon booting from the hard drive, which has to be Windows), I had to abort the save action and just power off.

When I burned the ISO I used the Windows program: DeepBurner. It's been very consistently workable for my Windows environment. I've created multisession data CD's for years. There was no multisession option listed for burning an ISO, but with Puppy 3.01 the multisession feature just worked fine. With Teenpup 2008 this hasn't worked so far.

Should the CD-RW have worked okay, similar to a USB drive that is rewritable and removeable?

Thanks,
Richard

klu9

#5 Post by klu9 »

have you been burning at the SLOWEST possible speed? That's always recommended for OSes and software.
[size=75]- Remember: it's a [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage]wiki[/url]. You can contribute too! :D
- Puplet creators, see [url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DistributingYourPuplet]DistributingYourPuplet[/url][/size]

straypup

CD Save

#6 Post by straypup »

I also use DeepBurner for my burning in Windoze. It seems to be better able to burn CD-RW on a consistant basis than BurnCDCC. As to ther save problem, Puppy seems to have two shutdown versions, one that will save to Live CD and one for saving only to harddrive or seperate disc. As a total nOOb I have noticed most versions after 2.14 seem to have the save to live feature and those puplets based on prior versions act as you have described. Someday I may learn enough to create my own pup but until then So Long and Thanks For All
The Fish