Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Jul 2019, 18:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
TEENpup 2008 is ready
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 12 [169 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 11:12    Post subject:  

The fora for most distros are littered with questions about non-functioning streams and multimedia, in general. Have raised these issues here, including this thread. Normally, would've initiated a separate thread, but john b. seems the sort of guy, like tom of wNOP fame, who listen and do something.
I suspect I know the answer, but wanted to report that KMPlayer in PC-BSD seems to play everything outa-da-box without any twiddling (although loader.conf may need editing to get sound working!). So it's those old dependencies again? Albeit, Teen seems to have a dose of KDE apps already. For those still not satisfied, the BSD Amarok seems to work on everything, too. How unusual is all that!
DreamsToGo

Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 11:14    Post subject:  

Hi everyone,

When I installed TeenPUP to my hard drive, I installed the GRUB to the MBR as reccommended. When I booted TeenPUP, I arrived at the GRUB menu and unless I pressed 'enter' the system stayed at this menu. I find this really annoying. There's nothing worse than pressing the on button, going to make a cup of tea thinking that when you come back the system will be up and ready to use - and it isn't!!!

Why does the grub menu stick like this?

The answer is in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

There is a command in this file called 'timeout' which for some mysterious reason has been disabled. All you need to do to get the system to continue automatically with the boot process is to remove the comment from the timeout line and set the timeout value to the number of seconds you want. (it is set as 30 which seems really long to me). I set it to 1.

Now I can press the start button, make my cup of tea and the system is up and ready when I come back!

Hilary
john biles

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 16:51    Post subject:  

Hello DreamsToGo,
First congratulations on get your files sharing up and going! Also thank you for suppling the information on how you did it. I just checked the "How To" area in this forum and you haven't posted this wonderful info there.
I leave it up to you if you would like to copy how you got file sharing working to the "How To" area of the forum.
I know not everyone will get to read this great info if it only remains here!

Also on the subject of the bootloader and needed to boot from the grub menu.
As I was running 3 different versions of TEENpup Linux for development reasons , I needed to be able to choose which version I wanted to use. I will mostly add this timeout feature into the next version of TEENpup.

john biles

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 17:00    Post subject:  

Hello sage,
I to am annoyed when I go to a website and can't view or listen to a stream.
I spent alot of time trying to get mms to work, but with only very limited success with VLC Player.
As for the other problems you've had, I thought I'd got alot of it working as the websites I went to worked with the gxine plugin or from Seamonkeys "Tools" menu the add-on called "MediaPlayerConnectivity" which allowed you to choose which media player you wanted to use as default. If you haven't experimented with it, give it a go as it might just get some of your streams working.

DreamsToGo

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar 2008, 18:20    Post subject:  

Hi John,

Thanks for the reminder to add the info to the how-to; I'll do it tomorrow.

You asked in an earlier post how long I've been using Linux - its about 5 years now. I started with Suse but soon moved to Ubuntu which I must say is getting better and better and with the latest version, 7.10, there are very few areas where it can be improved from my usage point of view. The only trouble is that you need a quite powerful machine to run it and, while a couple of versions ago it ran very well on my old kitchan and wash room machines, it doesn't any more. Which is why I started the search for a faster distro which 'has everything'. I'd tried Puppy a few years ago and it was very rough, not 'hard' enough for my use then. With time Barry and the other Puppy masters have really improved things. Your efforts have made it into a very usable system. I am thinking of installing onto my children's machines - there are still few issues which I am looking at, mainly to do with streaming media in Seamonkey and missing plugins. I've been watching the thread about this with interest.

You might want to try these sites to see how you get on,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/ - click on the 'listen live' button. Does it play for you? It doesn't for me unless I click the 'listen with external link' in which case it starts the realplayer.

http://tv.freebox.fr/ - this is streaming french tv but it needs the vlc plugin. Any idea where one can get this for seamonkey?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes

Hilary
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2008, 07:23    Post subject:  

Hello Everyone,
Those trying to listen to internet radio, some with be successful, some not.
While as in the screenshot some internet radio stations work with mms other done?
I spent a large amount of time on this with some success.
So to those who find it works, good! but for those it doesn't if you discover a fix please post how you did it.
Playing Internet radio mms.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  Playing Internet radio mms.jpg 
Filesize  104.69 KB 
Downloaded  813 Time(s) 

quasimodal

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar 2008, 12:56    Post subject: Upgraded TeenPup2008 with Puppy 2.17.1  

I installed TeenPup2008 on HD and love it, but was having problems with the Puppy 2.14 sound driver ( Avance AC'97 with VIA onboard chipset ). I just pulled out the 2.17.1 live-cd and installed it on top of TP2008 and the sound driver is working fine, no hiccups.

I had a few problems, such as in the Puppy install program where the PET package window winks out when I click on the list of availible PET packages. On the other hand, I can still download the Puppy-2 PET files and install them with the local file option. No big problems so far.

The 2.6.21 kernel consumes more than 128M of memory, but I may try to install the 2.14 version TeenPup2008 on my old PII 128M machine and see how it works with my ancient AWE 64 board.

I love this release of TeenPup, it feels very solid and mature ( barring a few application-level issues and some learning curves on my part ). I've been on the lagging edge of multimedia, but that's going to change when I see up my little recording studio using the applications in the new TeenPup.

Thank you. An admirable distribution.

- Bill B.
Qiyasea

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 11:31    Post subject:  

Hi John (or anyone else who may have a solution)
Just wondering if you had a chance to figure out why I'm unable to connect to the internet on Teenpup (or on Puppy Linux). I have no problems using the internet on Ubuntu 7.10 using the same computer (though I've only used wireless).

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Qiyasea wrote:
Oh, thanks John for your quick reply! I appreciate your time & know how busy you are.

The Wizard recognizes the Ethernet "connection", but I can't get onto the internet. When I click the "test" button, it says there is a signal or connection or whatever for the ethernet. But when I go to set the DCHP?? the result comes back "unsuccessful". I'll try it again & see what happens as I loaded it only once.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: The laptop sticker says "802.11 b/g wireless LAN". That is the only info I have re wifi.

Update: Ran Kwifimanager - says "no networks detected"

Ran RutilT. 2 identical windows pop up. "Critical error. Can't get the frequency/channel. Code: 19"

Any ideas what to do next?

Thx!
randcoop

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 14:21    Post subject:  

This is for Koolie and Sage. While both of you want to assert that there is a correct way to pluralize MP3 and the like, that is actually a question of considerable dispute. First, from the Oxford English Grammar:

"Plurals of letters are usually formed by adding apostrophe and s if doing so avoids confusion." The example given is A's and B's or i's and y's. The reference book then says, "the apostrophe is sometimes added when there is no confusion, but this practice is considered unnecessary."

As to whether there is confusion here regarding MP3's and whether MP3s would be better, I leave that to the readers of the forum. I do note, though, that the use of apostrophes would not be incorrect.

See also for this the New York Times Manual of Style and Usage:

"Use apostrophes in the plurals of abbreviations and in plurals formed from letters and figures: M.D.'s; C.P.A's; TV's; VCR's...(Many publications omit such apostrophes, but they are needed to make The Times's all-cap headlines intelligible and are therefore used throughout the paper for consistency)."

Surely, Koolie does not want to suggest (as in that first page comment) that people who adhere either to Oxford's or the New York Times's approach must not have gone to school.

Sorry for the rant...I just found the comment a bit rough and thought the record should be set straight.
DreamsToGo

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 17:10    Post subject:  

Hi All,

I just wanted to share this, applies to a hard drive installation,

A) if you get an error meesage at boot saying that /etc/TZ does not exist, just create it and add your time zone to it, eg Europe/Paris (in my case). This avoids the error message

B) if you get an error about 915resolution atboot time, you can avoid it by finding the file /etc/resolutionfix and commenting out the first line. I don't know what 915resolution does but making this change made absolutely no difference to my system, except I no longer get the error message.

Hilary
DreamsToGo

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 17:15    Post subject:  

Hi All,

When I boot TeenPUP from the hard disk, I occasionally get an error saying the x windows failed to start and that either I should run the xorgwizard or type xwin to start the x windows server. I say occasionally because it doesn't happen on every boot.

If I type xwin, it starts with no problems.

Does anyone know what this might be caused by? I have searched the forums but cannot find anything that ight be relevant.

Hilary
john biles

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2008, 17:54    Post subject:  

Hello DreamsToGo,
I don't know how much different this would make, but along time ago while experimenting with earlier versions of Puppy on older pentium II PC's, I could only install Puppy to their Hard Drives using EXT2 and not EXT3 etc.

Since this older format worked for me, I've continued to use it when I install any puppy version to my Hard Drive.
I don't know if this makes any different to needing to type "xwin" in to bring up your desktop. For me this happens about once a month on average.

Hello Qiyasea,
I think like alot of us and if I take User DreamsToGo as an example with her excellent work on how to setup up TEENpup and Puppy to file share her Music collect between her 4 PC's. What started out original was a posting by DreamsToGo for help on setting up her file sharing which finally led her to discover by herself how it could be done.
I for one have learnt alot from this forum, but I had to do alot of searching for answers myself.
I hope someone will be able to help you and I also suggest you post your question under "Puppy 2.14 user" help needed can't setup wireless in regular area of this forum.
The reason for this is not everyone is interested in TEENpup compared to Puppy and I sure there's a Puppy user who has got your setup working under Puppy 2.14.

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 03:29    Post subject:  

One elle or two?! James Bond and Lord Stansgate knew the difference....
setecio

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 05:14    Post subject:  

DreamsToGo wrote:
Hi All,

When I boot TeenPUP from the hard disk, I occasionally get an error saying the x windows failed to start and that either I should run the xorgwizard or type xwin to start the x windows server. I say occasionally because it doesn't happen on every boot.

If I type xwin, it starts with no problems.

Does anyone know what this might be caused by? I have searched the forums but cannot find anything that ight be relevant.

Hilary

Well I always get that message in NOP if the previous shut down has not completed properly, eg. if the battery ran out and the computer turned off without me going through the quit - shutdown routine, or if I hold the on/off button down to force an immediate shut down. All I o is type xwin and it recovers, but it only occurs in NOP on not achieving a proper shutdown before.
DreamsToGo

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2008, 07:40    Post subject:  

Hello John, Setecio,

Concerning the failed X meesage at boot time.

1) I also run ext2 and this is not a cause of the problem.
2) Setecio is right - this behaviour should only happen if X fails to stop correctly, ie when the PC stops unexpectedly, because,

I have been investigating the start up scripts and in particular one called xwin which starts the x server. The Puppy developers have created a file called /etc/.XLOADED which has one line in it. When X starts correctly the flag 'true' is set in this file so that Puppy knows that X was loaded. When X stops correctly this flag is set to 'false'.

The xwin start up script looks at the file /etc/.XLOADED and if it finds 'true' in the file it knows that X ended abnormally, so it gives the error message that we see. If it does not find 'true' it knows that X ended normally, so it continues the start up script.

Remark : the mesasge printed to the console is somewhat misleading, it should read something like - 'The last time the PC shut down it shut down abnormally so you should either run xorgwizard to ensure X parameters are set correctly or xwin to start X'

Remark : What I don't know is why the developers needed to put this code into the start up script. My natural reaction to an abnormal shut down would be, so what? But this must have something to do with the way Puppy is booted - which is very different from other linuxes.
Page 6 of 12 [169 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: