TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

#61 Post by john biles »

Hello Qiyasea,
At the start of your posting you say you can't get connected to the internet by ethernet or wifi, but at the end of your message I believe it reads that ethernet works?
As I don't use wifi and have only used ethernet and dialup, I had to guess what might be needed for wifi in TEENpup.
Something I didn't do was remove any of Puppy's Libs, only added to them.
Out of interest what do KwifiManager or RutilT under Network say when you run them. Have you tried to use them?

Can you please list your model of wifi as someone on the forum may have had the same problem and got it to work.

Hello DreamsToGo,
While about 20% of TEENpup came from Pets and Dotpups, alot was taken from debian, mandriva, slax and a few other distros. If I can get a good App going in TEENpup I will take it from anywhere I can.
Now you can help me. Do you remember the App you used in Ubuntu to connect your NFS If I can convert that package over to TEENpup then it will help you and I'm sure a few other users as well.
So the sooner you get me that info, the quicker I can get that App going for you, Hopefully!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Qiyasea

#62 Post by Qiyasea »

Oh, thanks John for your quick reply! I appreciate your time & know how busy you are.

The Wizard recognizes the Ethernet "connection", but I can't get onto the internet. When I click the "test" button, it says there is a signal or connection or whatever for the ethernet. But when I go to set the DCHP?? the result comes back "unsuccessful". I'll try it again & see what happens as I loaded it only once.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: The laptop sticker says "802.11 b/g wireless LAN". That is the only info I have re wifi.

Update: Ran Kwifimanager - says "no networks detected"

Ran RutilT. 2 identical windows pop up. "Critical error. Can't get the frequency/channel. Code: 19"

Any ideas what to do next?

Thx!
Last edited by Qiyasea on Mon 10 Mar 2008, 11:38, edited 3 times in total.

DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#63 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi John,

OK thanks for your help and fast reply!

Since my last post I've been doing some reading about installing NFS support,

1) the first thing to do is to make sure the kernel has nfs support compiled in. TeenPUP uses kernel 2.6.18.1, so it should have nfs version 3 (the one we want) compiled in, unless a deliberate decision was made to exclude it. Unfortunately nfs is not shown in the /proc/filesystems file, so it would seem that nfs is not compiled in.

2) the second thing is to see if a module exists for nfs by trying to insert it into the kernel using insmod nfs. Unfortunately, again when I try this on TeenPUP it would seem that the module is not available.

I use the conditional on this because I am not really sure; I'm just following instructions found on http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s04.html.

But it would seem that nfs is not comiled in and not available as a module in TeenPUP.

You asked for the Ubuntu packages that I install on the client; there are two nfs-common and portmap.

Here is the info about the nfs-common package,

Description
NFS support files common to client and server
Use this package on any machine that uses NFS, either as client or
server. Programs included: lockd, statd, showmount, nfsstat, gssd
and idmapd.

Upstream: SourceForge project "nfs", CVS module nfs-utils.

Homepage: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

Installed files

/.
/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/nfs-common
/sbin
/sbin/mount.nfs
/sbin/rpc.statd
/sbin/sm-notify
/sbin/showmount
/usr
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/nfsstat
/usr/sbin/rpc.gssd
/usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd
/usr/sbin/gss_clnt_send_err
/usr/sbin/gss_destroy_creds
/usr/sbin/rpcdebug
/usr/share
/usr/share/nfs-common
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles/idmapd.conf
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles/idmapd.conf.md5sum
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles/nfs-common.default
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles/nfs-common.default.md5sum
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/nfs-common
/usr/share/doc/nfs-common/copyright
/usr/share/doc/nfs-common/README.Debian.nfsv4
/usr/share/doc/nfs-common/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/nfs-common/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man5
/usr/share/man/man5/nfs.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/idmapd.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/statd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/nfsstat.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/showmount.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/rpcdebug.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/umount.nfs.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/gssd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/idmapd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/mount.nfs.8.gz
/var
/var/lib
/var/lib/nfs
/var/lib/nfs/sm
/var/lib/nfs/sm.bak
/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs
/sbin/mount.nfs4
/sbin/umount.nfs
/sbin/umount.nfs4
/usr/share/man/man8/rpc.gssd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/rpc.idmapd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/rpc.statd.8.gz

See the attached file for the Dependancies

The info for portmap is,

Description

The RPC portmapper
Portmap is a server that converts RPC (Remote Procedure Call) program
numbers into DARPA protocol port numbers. It must be running in order
to make RPC calls.

Services that use RPC include NFS and NIS.

Homepage: http://neil.brown.name/portmap/

Installed files are

/.
/sbin
/sbin/portmap
/sbin/pmap_dump
/sbin/pmap_set
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/pmap_set.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/portmap.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/pmap_dump.8.gz
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/portmap
/usr/share/doc/portmap/README
/usr/share/doc/portmap/TODO.Debian
/usr/share/doc/portmap/copyright
/usr/share/doc/portmap/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/portmap/changelog.Debian.gz
/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/portmap

and Dependancies are

in the attached file

I hope this helps - I'll be actively watching the thread until about 16h00 this afternoon. Its now 12h45 here.

Hilary
Attachments
NFS deps 2.png
(147.51 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
nfs deps.png
(146.76 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
Portmap deps.png
(131.26 KiB) Downloaded 828 times

john biles

#64 Post by john biles »

Hello DreamsToGo,
OK I've basically gone and got nfs, portmap + dependencies and converted them for use in TEENpup and zipped them and attached them here.

OK when you unzip the folder you will get /etc /lib /usr/ sbin and /var
Now I installed these in TEENpup 2008 and discovered that some of the files in /etc are already there in TEENpup and I recommend that you experiment with these running Live.
What you need to do is manually copy each file into its corresponding folder in TEENpup.

The good thing is that I you get it working, you can remaster TEENpup and then you won't have to do it all again.

By the way you posted I know you have a lot more knowledge in this area than I do.
Maybe we can find a patch for the kernel if this doesn't work.

At least now you should have something to work with. Good Luck

john biles

#65 Post by john biles »

Hello DreamsToGo,
Sorry I believe you also need these. I have good feeling you may now get somewhere!
Note: There is some doubling up of files between the first Tar.gz and this one.

DreamsToGo

#66 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi John,

I'll try these files and let you know the results.

Hilary

crabbypup

#67 Post by crabbypup »

@caneri

tried the puppy method of downloading with wget, did not work for me.
it says the file is 2kb, which is definately wrong.
and pwget did not work at all(exited with error 0)

Caneri

#68 Post by Caneri »

Hi crabby,

I'm looking further on this.

In the mean time would anyone that is going to download TEENpup please use this link and report back here...Thanks

http://www.puppylinux.ca/teenpup/TEENpup2008.iso
md5
http://www.puppylinux.ca/teenpup/TEENpup2008%20MD5sum

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Dingo

#69 Post by Dingo »

softpedia link works fine for me I have downloaded burned and booted successfully.anyway, on dokupuppy:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... ts:teenpup

is another download source for TeenPup (iso downloaded from softpedia)
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

john biles

#70 Post by john biles »

Hello crabbypup,
When I copy and paste Caneri's download link into "Prozilla Downloader" which comes in older versions of TEENpup and has never let me down when downloading anything. It as expected begins downloading TEENpup2008. It gives the correct iso size and has resume support shown for the iso.

If you have an older copy of TEENpup, use that to get the new version.

langecom

#71 Post by langecom »

Thanks John and accessdenied for the update regarding Flash Video on money.cnn.com.

I downloaded and installed the Firefox dotpup and it works fine using Firefox. I am able to place the Firefox link into Desktop as an icon. But I do not know how to add it to the Applications menu. Would someone can help me?

Thanks in advance.

john biles

#72 Post by john biles »

Hello langecom,
Normally a dotpup if created correctly will add Firefox to the menu. If you look in your menu is there entry called dotpups?
If so you will find Firefox on there.
If no you can try opening a terminal in /usr/sbin and type ./fixmenus and see if this adds firefox to your menu.
If non of this works, can you please supply the link to the dotpup of firefox you installed so that I can download it and write you a menu for it and you'll be able then to paste the menu into your system.

DreamsToGo

#73 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hello John,

First thank you for the files containing the NFS stuff. But read on...

I started to look at the files required from your tar.gz's. The more I looked the more I became convinced that TeenPUP can do NFS natively!

There are two ways to mount a NFS share on the client. Either you issue a 'mount' command or if you want the share mounted at each boot time you add a line to the fstab file in /etc. This file tells linux which file systems to mount at boot time, including floppies, cds and hard disks.

The 'mount' command looks like this for an nfs mount

mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic /root/HBW

where

-t specifies the type of mount, in this case NFS
192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic = the server and the directory to mount
/root/HBW = the directory on the client that maps to the server. When mounted if you use roxx and point it to this directory you actually see the contents of the server and you can treat it as if it was on your local machine.

In TeenPUP I found the 'mount' command but it seems to be crippled because it won't work for NFS. Looking further I came across 'mount-FULL'. Bingo, this is the real mount command and is not crippled.

Issuing,

mount-FULL -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic /root/HBW

started NFS services including portmap and mounted the share correctly. To test use your file manager and point it to the local directory - you should see the remote files. I did. It works! and without installing anything.

Conclusion NFS is availble in TeenPUP.

Now what I want to do is mount the share at every boot time. I have added a line in the /etc/fstab file as follows (the syntax is slightly different from the command)

192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic /root/HBW nfs ro,nolock

Its pretty much the same except that its in a different order and I have specified some options,

ro = mount the filesystem read-only
nolock = don't use locking on the files.

ro because I do not want to add,change,delete files from the client and nolock because its read only and you don't need locking; also its faster.

Now, I'm still experimenting with this and I'll report back - its not exactly working as I would like.

Best wishes

Hilary

john biles

#74 Post by john biles »

Hello DreamsToGo,
It appears that you have a lot of experience in this area in Linux. How long have you been a Linux User.
This is great stuff and I think it will make a great "How to" And I look forward to it all working how you want.

I've been thinking about how you might have been getting on with NFS and I thought are any of the network tools included in the menu able to do what you want for example: Knetattach, Krfb etc.

But it now looks like you'll get what you want any way.

I look for to reading how you succeeded :D :D

DreamsToGo

#75 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi John,

Success!! and it was surprisingly easy!

This post helped me out, see the last message,

http://www.webservertalk.com/archive235 ... 29685.html

Apparantly Puppy doesn't use the fstab file! so putting an nfs share definition in it did not work as I found out above.

Instead Puppy provides a /etc/rc.d/rc.local file which is there to let you customise the boot process. In TeenPUP it includes the call to start CUPS for example.

All I needed to do was to add the line

mount-FULL -t nfs -o ro,nolock 192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic /root/HBW

to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

Puppy runs this file at boot time. It succcessfully mounted the nfs share on the client and now when I go to the file manager I see the contents of the server directory /home/hilary/MyMusic.

As with anything, all is not sunshine because it seems to take a long time to mount the nfs share - but I'm not complaining - it's still faster than Ubuntu.

Now I have a linux distro, fast to install, fast to boot and with everything included. Thank you, John and all who have helped make this distro.

Now to explain the mount-FULL command.

mount-FULL -t nfs -o ro,nolock 192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic /root/HBW

1) in Puppy you have to use the mount-FULL command, which is delivered as standard, because the versin of mount as used in busybox is not set up to handle nfs mounts.
2) -t = the filesystem to mount, in my case nfs
3) -o = options, ro=read only, nolock = well, no lock
4) 192.168.0.1:/home/hilary/MyMusic = the server and the directory on the server that you want to share. You have to make the directory on the server shared.
5) /root/HBW = the directory on the client that will be connected to the server. This directory must exist on the client before you issue the mount-FULL command and it should be empty, but need not be. For a mount that is executed at boot time, going to this directory on the client will always show the files on the server. However you may only want to connect to the server occasionally in which case you would issue the mount-FULL command when appropriate through the terminal. In this case you could store things in the local directory for when you are not connected to the server.

Again, thank you for your help.

Hilary [/list]

Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

The fora for most distros are littered with questions about non-functioning streams and multimedia, in general. Have raised these issues here, including this thread. Normally, would've initiated a separate thread, but john b. seems the sort of guy, like tom of wNOP fame, who listen and do something.
I suspect I know the answer, but wanted to report that KMPlayer in PC-BSD seems to play everything outa-da-box without any twiddling (although loader.conf may need editing to get sound working!). So it's those old dependencies again? Albeit, Teen seems to have a dose of KDE apps already. For those still not satisfied, the BSD Amarok seems to work on everything, too. How unusual is all that!

DreamsToGo

#77 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi everyone,

When I installed TeenPUP to my hard drive, I installed the GRUB to the MBR as reccommended. When I booted TeenPUP, I arrived at the GRUB menu and unless I pressed 'enter' the system stayed at this menu. I find this really annoying. There's nothing worse than pressing the on button, going to make a cup of tea thinking that when you come back the system will be up and ready to use - and it isn't!!!

Why does the grub menu stick like this?

The answer is in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

There is a command in this file called 'timeout' which for some mysterious reason has been disabled. All you need to do to get the system to continue automatically with the boot process is to remove the comment from the timeout line and set the timeout value to the number of seconds you want. (it is set as 30 which seems really long to me). I set it to 1.

Now I can press the start button, make my cup of tea and the system is up and ready when I come back!

Hilary

john biles

#78 Post by john biles »

Hello DreamsToGo,
First congratulations on get your files sharing up and going! Also thank you for suppling the information on how you did it. I just checked the "How To" area in this forum and you haven't posted this wonderful info there.
I leave it up to you if you would like to copy how you got file sharing working to the "How To" area of the forum.
I know not everyone will get to read this great info if it only remains here!

Also on the subject of the bootloader and needed to boot from the grub menu.
As I was running 3 different versions of TEENpup Linux for development reasons , I needed to be able to choose which version I wanted to use. I will mostly add this timeout feature into the next version of TEENpup.

john biles

#79 Post by john biles »

Hello sage,
I to am annoyed when I go to a website and can't view or listen to a stream.
I spent alot of time trying to get mms to work, but with only very limited success with VLC Player.
As for the other problems you've had, I thought I'd got alot of it working as the websites I went to worked with the gxine plugin or from Seamonkeys "Tools" menu the add-on called "MediaPlayerConnectivity" which allowed you to choose which media player you wanted to use as default. If you haven't experimented with it, give it a go as it might just get some of your streams working.

DreamsToGo

#80 Post by DreamsToGo »

Hi John,

Thanks for the reminder to add the info to the how-to; I'll do it tomorrow.

You asked in an earlier post how long I've been using Linux - its about 5 years now. I started with Suse but soon moved to Ubuntu which I must say is getting better and better and with the latest version, 7.10, there are very few areas where it can be improved from my usage point of view. The only trouble is that you need a quite powerful machine to run it and, while a couple of versions ago it ran very well on my old kitchan and wash room machines, it doesn't any more. Which is why I started the search for a faster distro which 'has everything'. I'd tried Puppy a few years ago and it was very rough, not 'hard' enough for my use then. With time Barry and the other Puppy masters have really improved things. Your efforts have made it into a very usable system. I am thinking of installing onto my children's machines - there are still few issues which I am looking at, mainly to do with streaming media in Seamonkey and missing plugins. I've been watching the thread about this with interest.

You might want to try these sites to see how you get on,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/ - click on the 'listen live' button. Does it play for you? It doesn't for me unless I click the 'listen with external link' in which case it starts the realplayer.

http://tv.freebox.fr/ - this is streaming french tv but it needs the vlc plugin. Any idea where one can get this for seamonkey?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes

Hilary