TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
denny14

#31 Post by denny14 »

Lobster wrote:Have updated the wiki news :)

Managed to get the printer working (I used the wizard) but there seems to be an easier way using the KDE system. :)

I was running from CD and I think the whole ISO went into ram . . . as the memory usage seemed to give erratic results. At first programs were slow then fast, then slow to load.
Be interested how others get on.
I have 512MB of Ram. Could it be the squash file technology?

Teenpup looks great.
Look at all those program - all there and ready to use . . .

Teenpup may have started for teenagers but I think it is great for adults.
(AdultPup anyone?)

Some important considerations:
John has offered development and support for this puplet
I am sure his long term plans will also ensure a great experience
for the mature teen

Update
John mentions at least 512MB of ram required
I think this is the key
I tried it on a 196MB laptop running from CD and it was too slow
for me to use

woof woof
Does TEENpup require 512MB? I thought it only needed 128MB ram.

john biles

#32 Post by john biles »

Hello denny14,
While TEENpup2008 will run from the CD Live on PC's with 128Mb's of RAM, TEENpup has been aimed mainly at the Puppy user's who want to install TEENpup to their Hard Drives.
I run a Pentium III 800Mhz 128Mb PC installed with TEENpup 2008 installed to its Hard Drive with 1GB of Swap (500Mb of swap would be enough) and it plays DVD's Just fine through VLC Player.
In testing on a PC with Pentium 4 and 256Mb's of Ram with no Swap VLC Player played 600MB avi Movies with no problems from a USB Stick.

I know TEENpup2008 won't work for everyone's PC, All I can say is try it and see.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Jim2029

#33 Post by Jim2029 »

I Like it.... But....

In seamonkey, when I have more than one tab open, i can't close them.... Like if i have 3 tabs opened and i click the X for that tab to close, nothing happens. I have tried file-close tab and right clicking on the tab and selecting close tab.... still nothing. I have to close seamonkey out all the way then reopen it to close any tabs...

whats wrong?

eccentric

Teen pup 2008

#34 Post by eccentric »

First, thank you for the new pup.

The glitch is a thick black line across the clock in the bottom right hand corner , any thoughts on this or is it my video.
i use an Intell board with a 2.4g CPU, with every thing built on board plus 512m memory.

When i have an extra network card i will try to link my two machines together with your software, i will let you know how i get on.

Michael.

john biles

#35 Post by john biles »

Hello eccentric,
There's nothing wrong with the clock, that's the way the theme is If you open Rox (Click on Home icon on desktop) and click on the padlock icon at the top of Rox to show the hidden files and then open the .icewm folder, you will see a folder called themes and inside you will see all the themes used in TEENpup. If you take for example the DARKT theme and open it, you will see a folder called Ledclock. Open that folder will show the numbers that make up the clock. To change the clock, change those icons to something you like. You can take the icons from other themes from say Whodo's icewm themes.

Hello Jim2029,
I been using Seamonkey version 1.1.8 since its release and haven't come across that problem? If it continues and you want to change seamonkey to an earlier version, let me know and I will tell you how to do it.
Last edited by john biles on Thu 06 Mar 2008, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

countryside37

#36 Post by countryside37 »

Do the browsers support flash?

Ray MK

#37 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Just had to say FANTASTIC - running from cd on my laptop with 240mb ram and 2.5ghz celeron proc.

Have you seen those application menu's - "luverly" and the little rotating chappy top right corner of seamonkey.

BRILLIANT - just about to zap last copy of XPdoze on hda1 and replace it with some proper software.

John - you deserve a medal - many thanks for a superPUP.

One absolutely ecstatic puppy n00bi - Ray MK

john biles

#38 Post by john biles »

Hello Ray MK,
Thank you for your comments. If I make just one TEENpup user happy, then I succeeded. I hope it all goes well for you.

Hello countryside37,
Seamonkey support Flash and is ready to go straight away.
For Java you need to install it first by running the installer from the desktop on the right of screen.

Sadly Konqueror at this time doesn't work with Flash, but with some fiddling will work with Java, but as Java isn't installed by default because it expands from 25Mb's in size to 85Mb's when installed, I couldn't link it to the correct file locations needed.

Also on the right of screen is the help-info icon. You will find more information about TEENpup there and is worth a read.

Sage

#39 Post by Sage »

An Xfce version might be faster, smaller, more versatile and more efficient? Opera might solve 99% of the browser issues, albeit needing a little more tweaking (a lot of the claims that this 'n that don't work in Opera are fallacious.)
The strange non-recognition recognition of NIC s disappears on full installations. With all those media players, I assumed that there'd be no problems listening to my favourite Cajun and Zydeco station, KRVS. None of them succeeded; not even those that work on other distro including some Puppy versions.

denny14

TEENpup Requirements

#40 Post by denny14 »

Hi,

John Biles.....you replied to my post a a few days ago saying that TEENpup will run addequately on 128MB RAM. I'm not trying to dispute this. Obviously you're the one who'a made this so you're the one who knows the most about this. Having said this, I was talking to someone who's installed TEENpup and after using it, they said that you should have 512MB RAM. What does he mean? You've said you can run it on 128MB RAM? Was this person being a bit generous with the RAM or do you essentially need more than 128MB RAM? Please reply soon as I want to install it as soon as possible (I don't want to install it then find out it goes too slow).

By the way, my computer has 384MB RAM, Pentium 3, 8MB Graphics Card.

Thanks. Cya.

john biles

#41 Post by john biles »

Hello denny14,
All I can tell you is that the PC I use for testing and my nieces use to surf the net, chat using gaim and watch the odd DVD has a Pentium III 800Mhz Processor with 128Mb's of RAM and 1GB of swap. It has no external graphic card besides the one on the motherboard and they seem quite happy using it. One asked if I could remove Vista off her new laptop and install TEENpup because it was faster. I use this old PC regularly as well and to me the speed is more than exceptable. I guess it depends on what each user see's as being exceptable.
In the end you must decide if installing TEENpup is worth the risk or not.
If your happy with your current system, stick with that. I know that TEENpup won't work for everyone, but there will be a few users who will be happy and use TEENpup.
I know I wasn't happy with Ubuntu, Mepis, SuSe, fedora and the list goes on and on, Others Love these versions of Linux but for me Puppy lets me explore be hopefully creative.

HairyWill

#42 Post by HairyWill »

John
Did you use a full or frugal install?

I gave TEENpup2008 a go yesterday. Shiny.
I tried doing a manual frugal install, I have no optical drive. The install would not boot properly until I added an empty pup_save to the boot partition. I can't remember if I had this problem with vanilla 2.14. I tried listening to some music at http://www.last.fm, it uses a flash player. Seamonkey crashed and checking the logs I found the old G_FILENAME_ENCODING error. However, subsequent use of lastFM seems to be OK.

keep up the good work
Last edited by HairyWill on Fri 07 Mar 2008, 11:13, edited 2 times in total.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

john biles

#43 Post by john biles »

Hello HairyWill,
I normally run TEENpup live or as a full install with no problems.
As for your's and everyone else's problems with TEENpup 2008 all I can say is that I've spent countless hours testing and I thought making TEENpup 2008 as bug free as I could.

Like HairyWill if anyone finds a fix for any of these Bugs please let me know.

john biles

#44 Post by john biles »

Seeing Seamonkey isn't behaving itself as it should, here's how to install Opera 9.26
First go to Opera's Website http://www.opera.com/download/ and download Opera 9.26 for Linux, you need the version ending in TAR.GZ
Once you have the download make a new folder in root for example and unzip Opera. You shouild see a file called install.sh Now open a terminal by right mouse clicking in ROX and selecting window>Terminal Here
Once you have the terminal type ./install.sh you will now be asked a couple of questions, just enter Y for each question until it goes back to # by itself.

You now need to add opera to the menu so you can navigate there any time you want. I have made the required file and all you need to do is navigate to /usr/share/applications and drag and drop it in.
You now need to navigate to/usr/sbin open a terminal there and type ./fixmenus

Lastly if you've already installed Java , Opera should supply support straight away for both Java ans flash.
Its late I've been at work all day so if this doesn't make sense, sorry I falling asleep here.
Attachments
opera-menu.tar.gz
(277 Bytes) Downloaded 425 times

eccentric

getting the two puppys to talk to internet at the same time

#45 Post by eccentric »

First John thanks for the prompt reply about the clock.
I tried the two net work cards and cross over cable but no luck, all i learned from that was
the net address was 192.168.0.1 , that was after i in stalled the program. so i tried one card
in the sever, this i set up with my static net address and PPPoE.this cable went to a hub,
the cable from the wall socket also went to the hub, i then went to the WWW.and that worked. the slave machine i put a DVD of another puppy also to the hub. on this i set up the net card as address:-192.168.0.2 . net mask 255.255.255.000..gateway:-192.168.0.1
DNS Servers both 192.168.0.1. the server uses a 2gig C/F card in an IDE adapter as a hard drive. the slave i only tested using just the DVD. the hub is a router without using the wide band WAN output socket. My way this is a little different from the write up with the program but it works for me.

I set up CUPS and used the colour photo software you supplied, printed first class.
HPdeskjet920c and gloss paper. also the WEB cam works for the first time in puppy.

Now to get the torrent to work??? then i can seed for 24/7 and give something back to every one. Regards to you all Michael an eccentric grandpa :roll:

john biles

#46 Post by john biles »

Hello eccentric,
I'm happy to see you've got a lot of your hardware working.
Good Luck with using TEENpup :D

crabbypup

#47 Post by crabbypup »

hello, i have been using teenpup 2.14 for a while. and when i whent to softpedia to download the upgrade to 2008, the site said it was redirecting and then appeared broken. could you please provide an alternative download site? thanks.

but TEENpup2008 looks great!! 8) hope to see more like this in the future. a click and run replacement for xp would be amazing!! (especially a puppy based one!) :D

Caneri

#48 Post by Caneri »

Hi crabby,

Look here

http://www.puppylinux.ca/teenpup/

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Dingo

#49 Post by Dingo »

I finally tried TeenPup ... It is incredible! Fast, beautiful! Only two questions:

Pup_save of the TeenPup can live with the pup_save Puppy 3.01?

I saw that serves double click to launch programs: how to set my single click?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Ray MK

#50 Post by Ray MK »

Hi John

TEENpup2008 on the hdd running v sweet in the partition that used to accomadate XPdoze.

There is a problem closing tabs in seamonkey but thats a minor hiccup when considering
all the other improvements and as you say - Opera can be installed as well if desired.

Maybe there is a setting somewhere that needs changing - still looking, learning and
generally familiarising myself with all the goodies.

Just like a PUPPY scampering about finding nice juicy new bones everywhere - dont know
which one to pick up (click on) and play with next. And cant always remember where I
buried the one I had just been chewing on (playing with) 'cos I keep finding new ones
and start getting interested in them. "Wunderbar" <<--- (hope the spelling correct)

Haven't even glanced at the destructions yet - this little lot will keep me occupied
for some considerable time - many thanks again John for an absolutely SUPERpup2008.

One V happy Puppy n00bie and Ex.doze user

Ray MK