TEENpup 2008 is ready

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
crabbypup

#136 Post by crabbypup »

yeah, i just searched 'free avatar' and looked through the first site it came up with. :) but i might put up a custom one soon.
my avatar is what happens when you run windoze.

Aitch

#137 Post by Aitch »

my avatar is what happens when you run windoze
Yep, that's why it makes me laugh

It's like looking in a mirror :lol:

one of my favourites - bit big, though can't be rsed to make it smaller

aitch
Attachments
smile.gif
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 1470 times

crabbypup

#138 Post by crabbypup »

haha! that's good.

ronacc

wireless for the eeepc

#139 Post by ronacc »

I am trying to build the wireless driver for the eeepc so I can run teenpup2008 on it with wireless access . I have installed devx _2.14.sfs as mentioned earlier in this thread , when I run make in the dir where I have the wireless driver sources I get this error
sh-3.00# make
make -C work/L2-1.0.40.4 BUILD_KERNEL=2.6.18.1 KSRC=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18.1
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb1/distros/puppy/teenpup/build/atl2/work/L2-1.0.40.4'
Makefile:102: *** Linux kernel source not configured - missing version.h. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb1/distros/puppy/teenpup/build/atl2/work/L2-1.0.40.4'
make: *** [build] Error 2
sh-3.00#

any guidence would be appreciated.

crabbypup

#140 Post by crabbypup »

it looks like it can't determine the kernel version, so doesn't know what to do with the files? maybe different versions for different kernels?
just a thought.

ronacc

#141 Post by ronacc »

which kernel sources are in devx_2.14.sfs ? the kernel version # I get from teenpup2008 using uname -r is 2.6.18.1 , matching the error message . I'll have to look at the makefile and see if it is looking for a specific kernel version , the xandros that comes with the eee is built on 2.6.21 IIRC .

ronacc

#142 Post by ronacc »

found that problem , the makefile was looking in the wrong dir for the headers , correctd that and it built ok , unfortunately it was the wrong driver , back to the asus site to try to find the right source . the posting of sources on the asus site is rather sorry .

oui

webcam, kopete & skype 2.

#143 Post by oui »

hi!

I am interesting in using webcam to communicate with my parents and friends. In linux two programms are an excellent choice, Kopete and Skype 2 (and wengo phone: the windows version of wengo phone operates in puppy in wine!)

there are different problems:

a/ Skype:
Webcam needs Skype 2 (the webcam is not implemented for Skype 1). So I did install Skype 2 on Skype 1 (offered as standard in the wunderfull derivated distro TEENpup 2008). After that both did announce a "data base error" and both didn't start (any more)! I suppose it would be better to erase manually Skype 1 including that terrible data base before to install Skype 2. I can find Skype1. But I can't recognize the other dependant files, especially the data base files!
(Remark for John Biles: Skype 1 is a standard package from Puppy and no other package is dependant of it. It is a bad choice to make it obligatory in a new distro just in a time where the other version already exists as PET-package because it would be much easy to add it with the usual "install" than to try to erase it now to install the skype.2.0.0.63.pet! In this point, TEENpuppy ist "overloaded"! :cry: )

b/ Kopete:
I use Kopete for Yahoo, live MSN messenger and ICQ.
I my opinion is Yahoo the best choice because it is possible to communicate if the communication is bad, intermittent or if the friend is not online: You send your message and he will find it as soon as the communication become better or as soon he goes online. So is the yahoo messenger already 10 years my main messenger choice.
But with the Webcam he needs the libjasper AND libjasper-runtime.
There are 2 little lib's (AND dependences!) but if they are not available, no communication through the webcam.
What is the minimal equipment possible to make that kopete works in TEENpup?

c/ wine:
wine.9.0.60.pet installs but don't works. I don't have all wine packages for Puppy. but wine.9.0.28 works. Different as Skype, it is possible to overwrite wine by an other wine version. it would be really better to get the best wine version directly with TEENpup because it is really easy to overwrite or erase it (the main files are all under /usr/bin/ and wineblablabla easy to find!)

but

I love TEENpup: it is actually really the best distro on 1 CD!

last wish:
a easy way to interchange the keyboard layouts. in the past (puppy version 1.xx) we did have the package Keyboard-layouts.pup. it works in TEENpup but only directly after the installation. after that you can't change the keyboard any more.
I study hindi and have to write with the devanagari fonts. but it is the same with greek, russian, chinese etc.

we did have under puppy 1.xx a menu translator. do you know if it exists any more and has the text choices for TEENpup (if you need help in languages as French, German and Spanish, I am ready to help or find help!)?

Optical choices

the announcement of TEENpup 3. or 4. is a bad choice! why? because the resolution of Xvesa did be terribly reduced between 2. and 3,!

I can use now a very high resolution. If I would get a TEENpup 3. with the resolution of puppy 3 or 4, in Xvesa, I would not use TEENpup any more (I don't use Puppy 3 or Puppy 4 for exactly the same reason: I can't change my eyes! I can only try to find an adequate Operation's System!!!!! :idea: ). For me, the last Puppy is Puppy 2.17...

oh! you find I can use Xorg? no, impossible because the Xorg keyboard layouts were never completed in Puppy! Puppy did increase form 20 MByte to about 100 MByte but the keyboard layout did never become better (keyboard layouts need, depending on the method, only some bytes per language room, not 100-20 MByte! but they are the foundament for live in main rooms of the world in all written kind of operations!)

John Biles thank you for your wonderfull performance!

bye

oui

41 languages!

#144 Post by oui »

Hi

I did find this message on the forum:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27967

Perhaps the best approach for a world wide usuable TEENpup distribution?

Salut

CatDude

#145 Post by CatDude »

@Aitch
Aitch wrote: one of my favourites - bit big, though can't be rsed to make it smaller
aitch
I was bored, so here you go.

CatDude
Attachments
smile-small.gif
(7.07 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

linuxblues

teenpup 2008

#146 Post by linuxblues »

john biles.

Hey wanted to thank you for putting teenpup 2008 together.
Wanted to have vlc media player and teen had that already...
Use it for most everything and it seems a little more straight forward than some as far controls. Interested in function not real fancy form here.

Am setting up teenpup 2008 as a media center type.

How do you auto hide the taskbar?

Have tried altering the preferences file in root/.icewm.

Set autohide to 1, set location to top but so far this is ignored.
Can drag the taskbar to the top or bottom of course once x or icewm are restarted it return to bottom.

Noticed the ability to collapse the taskbar to the right and while this is useful we prefer to autohide since wbar presents the few icons we will be using.

Any suggestions on this would be helpful.

linuxblues

CatDude

Re: teenpup 2008

#147 Post by CatDude »

Hello linuxblues
linuxblues wrote: How do you auto hide the taskbar?
I edited the following parts of the preferences file,
this allows the taskbar to autohide.

Code: Select all

#  Auto hide task bar after delay
 TaskBarAutoHide=1 # 0/1

#  Delay before task bar is hidden
 AutoHideDelay=300 # [0-5000]

#  Delay before task bar is shown
 AutoShowDelay=500 # [0-5000]
Hope this helps

CatDude

linuxblues

thanks!

#148 Post by linuxblues »

@catdude

Okay now, had to remove the # before the command.

Noticed the comment at the beginning of the pref file about uncommenting changes and then stared at your post. Sure enough they were uncommented.

Did not recall having to do that on an earlier setup I was toying around with...at least do not think so.

But either way all is okay now!!!!!

Yeah!

learning and enjoying the pups,

linuxblues

john biles

#149 Post by john biles »

Hello oui,
Due to TEENpup 2008 still being based on the Puppy 2 series and its earlier libs for example glibc 2.3.5, Skype 2 requires later libs to work. That is why TEENpup 2008 still has Skype 1.
The same problem comes up with Wine. Wine will run up to approx version 9.30-9.34 with these earlier libs. To replace them requires recompiling the kernel. That is why Barry K released puppy 3 and 4 series with later Libs that are compatible with Skype 2 and the latest wine versions.

As I've read that some user's with older hardware where having problems with these latter versions of Puppy, I decided to keep TEENpup 2008 based on the older 2 series as I to run a lot of older hardware.

I will be releasing a version of TEENpup based on these later series, but it won't be for awhile. most likely later in the year.

There will be a bug fix improved TEENpup 2008.1 in a month or so.
So apps will be removed and new ones added.

Lastly thank you CatDude for helping linuxblues with his problem :D
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Aitch

#150 Post by Aitch »

@CatDude

Thanks for the smallsmile

Could ya do purply's twin brother

Purply died when he went to play in koolie's shrinking machine

He was still purple, but he never moved again

so, here's purtwin

Please feed him!!

but make him smaller, thanks

Aitch
Attachments
Purtwin.gif
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 1128 times

koolie

#151 Post by koolie »

I dont know why you are not getting purply.
I have sent him to you twice.
Maybe you should check with Gordon Brown.. he may have gone to the wrong PM.
Or maybe the netcops are trying to discover if there is a hidden message in it.
Anyway, here it is again.
Attachments
purpmonster2.gif
(727 Bytes) Downloaded 1021 times

CatDude

#152 Post by CatDude »

@Aitch

Here you go bud, if he's too small let me know and i'll do another one.

CatDude
Attachments
Small-Purtwin.gif
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 1039 times

tempestuous

Re: wireless for the eeepc

#153 Post by tempestuous »

ronacc wrote:I am trying to build the wireless driver for the eeepc so I can run teenpup2008 on it with wireless access.
Already done -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24620

Aitch

#154 Post by Aitch »

@CatDude & koolie

CatDude - Excellent Dude!

Koolie - I did get him, Twice!
Thanks for trying - but if you look below you'll see the difference
He must be a relative of Jesus, as he keeps resurrecting after burial :lol:

Not to worry, Purtwin likes it with me, and has moved in, so he's going to be really happy with his baby, PurtwinJunior, so will Mummy & Dippydog
There, now the whole family is on one page he he move over Addams family

Thanks, Aitch :D
Apologies to John Biles for the aside
Get TeenPuP2008!!!
Attachments
Purtwin.gif
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 1026 times
Dippydog.gif
(7.52 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
Mummy.gif
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 955 times

linuxblues

kde virtual keyboard

#155 Post by linuxblues »

@ john biles,

Can you package the kde virtual keyboard for teenpup?
Is one available for this?
Thanks for your time.

linuxblues