Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Dec 2018, 07:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
TEENpup 2008 is ready
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 12 [169 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 08:29    Post subject:  

[quote="Qiyasea"]Thanks anyway, John.
The only question I need answered right now is how to get Teenpup2008 connected to the internet.
I don't know of any other forum where I can find answers to Teenpup2008 issues.

/quote]
very simple its the same as Puppy Linux.
on the desktop click setup, then click connect to the network by the interface if your using some sort of adsl or cable
then select eth0 if its shown
then select auto dhcp
and then click save and done
that works for me
ttuuxxx

if that doesn't help just tell me what kind of net you have and what was error you had.
ttuuxxxx

Qiyasea

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 08:45    Post subject:  

Thanks ttuuxxx!
I've done that numerous times & it doesn't work for me. Sad

When I boot into Teenpup2008, a window pops up indicating it recognizes that there are two internet connections - ethernet (eth0) & wifi (eth1) - but I can't actually get connected.

When I use the internet wizard to test it, one of them shows a live connection, the other says it can't find a connection. When I click on DHCP, it always comes back "unsuccessful". So no internet.

I don't know enough about programming to have a clue what to check next. I think perhaps Linux distros are just not quite suitable (yet) for non-techies like me Sad

Edit: I have ADSL internet. just fyi. I use either ethernet or wi-fi to connect.
I'm going to just let this issue drop for now as I've already spent many hours trying to resolve this one issue. But I hope if anyone else has this problem a solution does come out. Thanks much!

ttuuxxx wrote:

on the desktop click setup, then click connect to the network by the interface if your using some sort of adsl or cable
then select auto dhcp
that works for me
ttuuxxx

if that doesn't help just tell me what kind of net you have and what was error you had.
ttuuxxxx
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 08:57    Post subject:  

Where are you? [Edit your profile]. More folks in Europe are on static IP which means you have to get the DNS from your ISP and the gateway from your router. A lot of amateur US developers don't seem to know about static IP which is also used by their professionals.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 09:05    Post subject:  

Qiyasea wrote:
Thanks ttuuxxx!
I've done that numerous times & it doesn't work for me. Sad

When I boot into Teenpup2008, a window pops up indicating it recognizes that there are two internet connections - ethernet (eth0) & wifi (eth1) - but I can't actually get connected.

When I use the internet wizard to test it, one of them shows a live connection, the other says it can't find a connection. When I click on DHCP, it always comes back "unsuccessful". So no internet.

I don't know enough about programming to have a clue what to check next. I think perhaps Linux distros are just not quite suitable (yet) for non-techies like me Sad

Edit: I have ADSL internet. just fyi. I use either ethernet or wi-fi to connect.

ttuuxxx wrote:

then select auto dhcp
that works for me
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxxx

let me guess you have an onboard lan/(nic)/ plugin right, Best thing to do, is the same that I've always done in that situation.
Go to your local computer parts surplus shop and buy a PCI Ethernet card. Just a cheap run of the mill $5 one. Thats all I use and it works every time, for some reason built in motherboard ones generally don't work.!
But hey $5 to have all the free stuff you can download legally and plus have fun talking to people and who knows maybe 1yr down the road or so have your own puppy variant release. Its a great investment.
ttuuxxx

or you can go the wireless way with ndiswrapper.
I would buy the card, It save me 3 times already.
ttuuxxx

Sage

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar 2008, 09:12    Post subject:  

$5? You wuz robbed. Mine generally come gratis from ex-equipment but s/h cards go for <£1 here. Cheaper by the dozen.
Dingo

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2008, 17:45    Post subject:  

a simple install question:

I have already one pup_save in my frugal install of puppy 3.01. I want now making a frugal install also for TeenPup, because I have only a 256 MB of RAM and live-cd can't run entirely in RAM, so CD Drive makes a lot of noise reading the disc. So I want make a frugal install of TeenPup.

this (TeenPup frugal install process) may damage existent pup_save file (from puppy 3.01) or not?

muggins

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2008, 18:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
may damage existent pup_save file

Dingo,

I don't know, but two solutions. Copy your pup_save to a different name, then if corruption does ocurr, just rename the backup & your back in business. Secondly, teenpup will probably be looking for the pup_save in /mnt/home, but pup301 can exist in it's own subdirectory. Why not move pup301, including it's pup_save, to a subdirectory, & modify grub's menu.lst accordingly?
Dingo

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar 2008, 19:02    Post subject:  

these are wise advices. I wil backup all pup_save related files (pup_save.2fs, zdrv.sfs and 301.sfs) and, I will buy another hard disk drive so I can put in it a test frugal install of teenpup (having, of course, needing of further space on disk)
crabbypup

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar 2008, 21:46    Post subject:  

hey, could the next version of teenpup include the splashscreen package?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26339

i think it would be a pretty big step towards getting more xp'ers to come over to the linux side. just my two cents.
crabbypup

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2008, 12:25    Post subject:  

hello fellow teenpup 2008 users (and creator) if anyone wants to assist me or comment on this propsition:

i am building a teenpup 2008variant based on 3.01 for driver purposes (my audio card is not properly recognized) so, if someone could provide me with a list of apps and components (i am doing this from the unleashed packages). i am kind of a linux newbie but i need this support for my hardware, and this was the best way to get what i wanted. sooo, help or suggetions? thanks.

crabby.
john biles

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2008, 17:42    Post subject:  

Hello crabbypup,
Very little of TEENpup extra Apps comes from Barry K's unleashed packages. About 10% comes from this forum.
About 60% comes from many different versions of Debian, Mandriva, Slax and the list goes on.
The rest comes from searching the web.
On and OFF TEENpup 2008 took me 4 and a half months.
I wish you well. I will be building a version based on Puppy series 3, but don't expect it for a few months. Very Happy

crabbypup

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar 2008, 18:37    Post subject:  

hmm. i found an easier way to do it than i said before. i installed 3.01 on my machine with grub and so on... now i have to find all the packages i want(it will be multimedia oriented for recording and playback) then i will do the remaster live cd thing. and that's all i have to say about that(as forrest gump would say) Very Happy i could have it out by ohh, say next month? Laughing well, there is no competition here, you are plainly better than i am. and you will definitely do a much better job than me. (and my iso will probably be HUGE!)

see ya round john!

crabby.
crabbypup

PostPosted: Sun 30 Mar 2008, 19:43    Post subject:  

hmm. well, after 2 days of working on it i have decided that, life is tough and you can't expect everything to work for you all the time. it has also occurred to me that i was naive to think that i would have it out by next month. Embarassed

i am sorry if i sounded... (overconfident, stupid, childish....) and i apologize to all the REAL developers out there, i now have alot more respect for people developing a project like this. sorry everyone. and i suppose i'll just keep working on mine when i have time. (ya do great work john Smile )
Emperorborg

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr 2008, 09:27    Post subject:  TEENPUP  

Well what to say,

AWSOME! I really loved Teenpup, biles, Do you have any future plans for it? Is there other plans you have?

I read the article on your Teenpup, which got me into your programme, I have no idea what that guy was on about, I could play DVD's, Cd's Burnt and legite no problem at all.

I think people worry about the growing popularity of your Teenpup Biles.

All I can say is keep up the great work mate, Dont worry about what sag says hes a depressive natured oldie, Sage is the past Biles, You my friend are the future keep up the great work mate!

Brodz
ragaman

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr 2008, 00:17    Post subject: Good Pup but some help needed  

Hi. Congratulations and a million thanks for a great OS. It's so good that I decided to replace Ubuntu with it. However, I have two issues:

1. I can't get the sound to work. I tried to configure ALSA but no go.
2. To keep in touch with relatives abroad we use Gyachi. I tried to compile the latest source code but when I did ./configure, it returned "Automake 1.5 or later is needed". so i downloaded the Automake1.5 source code and tried to compile it. ./configure went fine. However, when I did "make", it returned Command not found error. What do I need to install?

Thanks.
Page 8 of 12 [169 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: