Puppy 3 Series Suggestions

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Dingo

#31 Post by Dingo »

Pizzasgood wrote:The standard Puppy 3.01 doesn't have it, though at least one off-shoot does. Barry did add it to Puppy 3.02 alpha.
thanks, what version gives this option at boot? (puppy pfix=ram)
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

All of them have pfix=ram.

Maybe I should clarify what they do?

pfix=ram prevents the pup_save.2fs file from being used, and may also prevent a pup_xxx.sfs file stored on the harddrive from being mounted (as opposed to the one on the CD).
This option exists in all versions of Puppy.

pfix=noram prevents the pup_xxx.sfs file from being copied into ram before being mounted. This leaves more ram for applications to use, but may cause application star-up times to be slower (especially when running from CD). This option is of most use for machines that have just enough ram that Puppy will automatically copy the pup_xxx.sfs file to ram, but so little that only a sliver will be left over for applications. For people with even less ram than that, Puppy will automatically skip copying the pup_xxx.sfs file into ram so it isn't an issue. Although with large remasters, the developer may not have corrected the boot scripts to take into account the larger size, so in those cases it may be possible that Puppy would attempt to copy itself into ram on a machine which could handle a standard Puppy but not the remaster. That can cause issues...
This option only exists in Dingo, Puppy 3.02 alpha, and some derivatives.

Those two options can also be used at the same time, like this: pfix=ram,noram
That will combine their effects: pup_save.2fs is not loaded, and pup_xxx.sfs is not copied into ram.

And in case anybody is wondering, the reason I've been leaving off the puppy before those options is that puppy is only relevant when booting from CD or using the modified Syslinux stuff I posted a while back. But when modifying the actual configuration files, such as menu.lst, syslinux.cfg, or isolinux.cfg, you just add the pfix=whatever part to the relevant line.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#33 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:A lot of folks are concerned about the lack of Abiword. ...[snip]...

The main feature of Puppy is really its speed. Go over 100MB for the iso and its performance deteriorates rapidly. Kompozer is the intended work-around for the lack of Abiword in the Chihuahua core ISO - but not intended as a full replacement for Abiword.
I'm sorry, Jack, but I'm afraid I have to disagree here. The main feature isn't Puppy's speed, it is its size/speed/completeness. In other words those three are linked together and compromising any one of them changes the package.

I understand the difficulty, but I just can't see distributing a standard Puppy that didn't have a Word-compatible word processor and an Excel-compatible spreadsheet built in!

If we start dumping these basic requirements we are heading down the DSL track where size is all important and so we lose functionality. Certainly size is an issue, because it impacts on the ability to run from RAM, which is a key issue for speed too, but what good is running from RAM at light speed if your standard offering doesn't have 2 of the most common applications in everyday use?

IMHO, we have to start with a useful web browser, word processor and spreadsheet and work our way up from there. Kompozer is a GREAT html editor, but it is no word processor for general file sharing purposes. I'd rather see us leave that out for inclusion in Lassie than leave out Abiword and Gnumeric. Just my $0.02c worth.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Wolf Pup

#34 Post by Wolf Pup »

in /etc/profile add:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/sbin
to the PATH, as some apps install there.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

tronkel

#35 Post by tronkel »

WhoDo wrote:
I understand the difficulty, but I just can't see distributing a standard Puppy that didn't have a Word-compatible word processor and an Excel-compatible spreadsheet built in!
Yes it's clear that the lack of Abi And Gnumeric is a problem for many - so I have just made a Lassie SOHO module that combines these 2 packages plus the plugins plus spelling.

Right from the beginning of the Lassie project I knew we were going to have to take some hard decisions about what would be included in Chihuahua and what would not. I therefore visualised that for most users, Lassie CE would involve 2 downloads i.e. Chihuahua + another key sfs. I think this is looking as if the "other key sfs" for most people is actually the Lassie SOHO module.

I accept also that a lot of users would want the above-mentioned modules combined into one sfs. So 2 scenarios are possible here to address this.

I can combine say Lassie SOHO with Chihuahau and distribute that as say, "Fat Chihuahua". Also I will include MU's sfs combiner in small Chihuahua, in case any users would prefer the DIY approach. This would allow them to create their preferred combination of Chihuahua and Lassie sfs module(s)

Therefore to summarise, those who prefer small and fast under 100MB download Chihuahua. Those who want it fattened-up with Abiword and Gnumeric download Fat Chihuahua. Those who want OpenOffice could download Obese Chihuahua. Those who want to roll their own, download what they need and then roll it into one pup_302.sfs using sfs combiner.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

HairyWill

#36 Post by HairyWill »

tronkel wrote:A lot of folks are concerned about the lack of Abiword.
Then listen to them. This seems a compelling reason to include abiword in the basic iso. If I am in the middle of nowhere with a basic puppy cd, a broken windows computer and no network access I think puppy should be able to boot from liveCD and allow me to read and recover stuff. Abiword offers compatibility with a number of file formats that are not supported by any other application.

I am not too fussed about the 100MB limit, puppy 4 will get back there I think that extra weight is the cost of slackware compatibility which brings its own advantages. Barry has already done a good job of cutting stuff back. If the community is to add any extra value it needs some room to breathe.

Please put abiword back in. If a user is really strapped for space they probably shouldn't be using this version.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

can8v

Power Management

#37 Post by can8v »

Please include some power management for laptop users.

ttuuxxx

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

The way I look at Gnumeric and Abiword, is Outside of school I have never had a use for a spreadsheet application, Not even once. I think its just plain useless clutter of 3-4MB compressed.
When I think of Abiword well lets just say its extremely usefully to a Word processor with spell check, I must of used a Word Processor 1000's of times out of school in my 37yrs of life.
Most people have no need for Spreadsheets. you can make a list in a word processor but you can make a word processor in a spread sheet.

Its like having mt paint and inkLite, most people would use mt paint for resizing, cropping and maybe a bit of text on an image useful for todays digital cameras for beginners, But inkLite is a toy to most people just because its vector graphics.Really it can do amazing stuff, but if your not trained on it, Pretty much its just another waste of space. Most people want the full version anyways.
I owned Photoshop for 2yrs before ever using it, because it was to complicated, then I was trained in college and now I use it once a day. :)
If you want space kill inkLite and Gnumeric and keep Abiword, its about the same size:)
ttuuxxx

Ps at one time you could just buy MS Word, stand alone which was nice, Then they came up with all these extra features and made an OFFICE application, which is useful in an office environment but most puppy users aren't in an office, they are at home writing letters with images, receiving emails with .doc formats with pictures. Also another reason why MS went with the office suite is profit, They make everybody spend like $250+ for a suite where people like myself would be 100% happy with just word at a cost of $99.99. If they make everybody pay 2.5X more for something basically thats why they were the richest company in the world for so many years, smart thing and crap products.
When we combine Abiword and Gnumeric basically we are try to give the end user what they want from open office with a reduction in size, Open office is trying to give the end user a windows feeling. The end user is used to having a slew of programs that they never use but are on standby. and the circle goes around and around.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Henry

#39 Post by Henry »

ttuuxxx, you wrote:

"The way I look at Gnumeric and Abiword, is Outside of school I have never had a use for a spreadsheet application, Not even once."

Thanks for saying that. I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with me. I use my computer intensively everyday in business, and I have never used a spreadsheet. My wife is our business and tax accountant and does everything in Quickbooks and Turbotax. She'll probably have to use windows programs forever, but I've never seen her use a spreadsheet.

Re Inklite: I've never used this or similar little vector programs. Those few who need cadd or vector publishers/illustrators need to add what they want. Keep the basic system small. That's what I like about Nop.

What puppy needs is a foolproof package handling system. One that adequately describes the packages, and if a package is installed and uninstalled, the config file size is the same as before. We have several systems (too many) and none, including Gslapt, are free of surprises. Maybe that's the linux version of dll hell.
Last edited by Henry on Thu 27 Mar 2008, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#40 Post by Henry »

I suppose I might qualify that . . .

Certainly some will want a spreadsheet for their particular purposes - after all, that's where VisiCalc came in, remember? But it's not necessary in a basic puppy. Those who want one can add the one they want.

I keep the OpenOffice.sfs available although I actually seldom use it, except when people email me odd Word, Excel files, or those wretched Power Point files.

Oops - maybe that's an argument for keeping Abiword and Gnumeric in :-)

vfmlondon

#41 Post by vfmlondon »

I have to agree that many folks never use a spreadsheet nor vector graphics progs. In reality many folks never even edit bitmaps in any way, so only really need a viewer.

Perhaps basic Puppy should be called Puppy TaiL CD ie. The Lowest Common Denominator.

The question really is though - What do you need Puppy for? TBH nowadays a browser could be pretty much enough for many folks. GoogleDocs and Webmail can fulfil the total needs of an awful lot of users.

If on the otherhand one anticipates finding oneself stranded in the middle of nowhere without broadband access then one needs to be loaded for bear, as they say. As I see it that's a light install on a USB stick - plus - a handleful of SFS's on the same stick- and - even a few of the fuller ISO's also on the same stick to burn if needed.

KF6SNJ

#42 Post by KF6SNJ »

One thing I'd like to see is a dotpet or dotpup for zenity. I have been trying to compile it but with no luck. Of course I'm open to suggestions.

zgp152

Wireless wizard

#43 Post by zgp152 »

The wireless wizard used in 3.01 and Muppy 084c for instance is not capable of saving MAC address in the profile. Development work for 4.1rc may be of no direct use in 3.01, since a dependency prevents using it with the kernel used in 3.01.

Seems that the wizard needs a separate improvement or fixing done for Puppy 3. But I would be happy to be wrong.