Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 15:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
VNC Server using EEE resolution problem
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
scotto_puppy

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2008, 18:50    Post_subject:  VNC Server using EEE resolution problem  

I trust this is not in the wrong area - my problem is that as a regular user of VNC server, my installation on my EEE using EEEpc (based on v3.01) does not display desktop icons. I can right click and see the menu but it would be nice to see my shortcuts when I first connect.
I have tried vncserver :<port> - geometry 800x480. Also a number of other combinations and none at all!
Still no luck. Can you help?
dvw86

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2008, 19:17    Post_subject: Re: VNC Server using EEE resolution problem  

scotto_puppy wrote:
I trust this is not in the wrong area - my problem is that as a regular user of VNC server, my installation on my EEE using EEEpc (based on v3.01) does not display desktop icons. I can right click and see the menu but it would be nice to see my shortcuts when I first connect.
I have tried vncserver :<port> - geometry 800x480. Also a number of other combinations and none at all!
Still no luck. Can you help?

A little more information would be helpful. Are you using Pupeee? Are you trying to connect to the Eeepc or are you trying to use the Eeepc to connect to something else? What is the other computer running (Windows, Linux, Mac,...)?
scotto_puppy

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb 2008, 22:12    Post_subject: Re: VNC Server using EEE resolution problem  

I am using the puppy-eee based on nop 3.01 and have installed vncserver ok on this version. I have used vncserver previously with many versions of puppy, but not with the odd screen size that is the eee.
Thus I am coming from a WinXP machine to puppy. As I mentioned, I can see the desktop (not the gray one that sometimes causes a problem) but a regular desktop, just with no icons. However right click shows me the menu and I can navigate from there.
The relevent line in .xinitrc #exec $CURRENTWM simply says 'vncserver:7' - my preferred port. I have tried fiddling with the geometry and depth but to no avail. Thanks for replying
HairyWill

PostPosted: Fri 02 May 2008, 19:41    Post_subject:  

I've just noticed this thread. I don't know if you are still interested.
The lack of desktop background and icons means that the rox pinboard has not been started for the screen that you are using. I think that the following in /root/.vnc/xstartup should help
Code:
rox -op /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot