EeePC/Atheros drivers needed for use in Puppy NOPr5

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
dvw86

#16 Post by dvw86 »

rover wrote: I believe that if I knew how to remove a module by hand and then to load a module by hand again ,that I could get the puppies that I try to use up and going.

Sure would like to see that answer posted somewhere.
To load a module such as one needed for the battery monitor:

Code: Select all

modprobe battery
To unload the module:

Code: Select all

rmmod battery

John Lewis

#17 Post by John Lewis »

Hello,

Just looked at the modprobe list in a previous post.

I note mine has the following modules loaded in puppeee on my eeepc.

ath_rate_sample
ath_pci
wlan
ath_hal

also wlan_wep and wlan_scan_sta but I suspect these load after wep etc is set up.

I had a problem with a corrupt module (ath_sample_rate) due to a faulty sda card and it prevented function until replaced the file and modprobed it.

May be worth checking if all required modules are present and loaded.
rxvt and dmesg are your friends.

Hope this may help,

John Lewis

stlchuck

Still no luck...

#18 Post by stlchuck »

Still working with the Puppy 3.01NOPr5 and the EeePC - as it currently stands I'm booting from a 2GB USB key and the screen resolution mod works fine. Getting a working internet connection though is another matter - when the .pet packages for the wired and wireless interfaces are loaded the package manager shows a successful loading message but the pkgs DO NOT show up in the list when you bring up the package manager - the ath_pci pkg shows up in the wizard and says it is loaded but no connection is found. The atl2 package has had the needed line put in the /etc/networkmodules file and shows up in the network wizard also with no connection found - just for grins I tried an rmmod command for each and then modprobe to load them again - still with no working connection - interestingly enough the atl2 module returns a message of module not found when this is done. Have also checked the BIOS settings - no problem there and everything works when booting Pupeee and/or Windows XP - I'm beginning to think that in remastering 3.01 to make the NOP variant that something got changed that is the cause of the problem. Unfortunately I haven't got the knowledge of Puppy's inner workings to track this down so for now I'll concentrate on trying to tweak Pupeee to meet my needs. If anyone has ideas about why NOP doesn't work with the EeePC's network modules I'm still willing to try working with it - but for now I'm out of ideas.

distortedstar

#19 Post by distortedstar »

Same problems here! Pupeee works great, but I'm unable to get wNOP to recognize the wireless card on my Eee...too bad, cause compiz works great! It'd be a great way to convert people to LInux!!
[u][url=http://www.productivelinux.com][i][b][color=blue]Productive[/color][color=black]Linux.Com[/color][/b][/i][/url][/u]
[size=75]making the most of your linux desktop[/size]

glassparrot

#20 Post by glassparrot »

Ok... this has been one of the most helpful conversation threads at the forum, when it comes to the explicit instructions which dvw offers for getting the eeepc hardware running with puppy 3. I've been putting together a copy of WNOP 0.2 which works with the eeepc, and I can't thank you enough, dvw.

I had the same difficulties that stlchuck had with the built-in eeepc wifi card. The way forward that I discovered here, was to disable the wifi card in the bios (or in xandros), and then uninstall and reinstall the wifi patch which dvw provided. I was getting the same message in my logs about "hardware revision not supported" that stlchuck was - so somehow, I guess that when the wifi is enabled, the patch doesn't stick properly.

After walking through these steps, the network manager recognized ath0 just fine. One more note that might be a hurdle for others: in order to find my wireless network I needed to uncheck the "managed" mode before scanning to see which ones were available.

I still haven't found a way to get the Function+f2 key combination to work to disable and enable the wifi card. If anyone figures out a way to get that working, please write about it. It'd be nice to save my battery life without having to go down to the bios or back into xandros to disable the wifi card.

tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

glassparrot wrote:... uninstall and reinstall the wifi patch which dvw provided.
Just a point of clarification: madwifi-ng-r2756-eeepatch-k2.6.21.7.pet is not a patch. It's a complete driver package.
This driver package was compiled from the r2756 MadWifi source code, with 2 patches applied.
The drivers (modules) installed by this dotpet package are in binary form. The end user does not install a patch.

glassparrot

#22 Post by glassparrot »

Thanks for the clarification, but honestly I wasn't confused. I was using the term "patch" generically, not specifically.

Thank you for your work on the getting the eeepc compatible as well, tempestuous. I have seen your contributions all over this forum.

dinky

#23 Post by dinky »

@dvw86

Thanks so much!!!! Just got an eeepc today, and following your advice on the previous page have been able to configure it near perfectly... I'm just about ready to wipe Xandros and use puppy...

I'm using TigerPup, with Compiz-Fusion enabled, and it works beautifully. A few bugs to work out, but other than that it's fantastic. Thanks for all the work you've put in!!! I'll post some screenshots soon.

2 Questions:

1. Is it possible to get suspend happening when the lid is shut, like in Xandros? All that happens now is it stays on happily... albeit dimming the screen. How can I change this?
2. With resolution set to 800 x 480, sometimes windows open with parts of them of the screen. Important parts. With Compiz-Fusion set to desktop wall I can get around this, but are there any other options I can configure to stop this from happening?

Great work, keep it up. TigerPup is a remastered version of wNOP, which is based on NOP. Cheers!
~dinky

dinky

#24 Post by dinky »

Just got the Puppy to recognise the internal SD drive as a flash drive, with limited writes. Thought a few people might be interested. See topic here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29620
~dinky

stlchuck

#25 Post by stlchuck »

Thank you Glassparrot! Having the wireless disabled in BIOS when the wireless package is installed is the key I was looking for. I had a feeling there was a simple answer and that method worked like a charm. I'm currently working with Wolfpup 1.00 - booting from a USB key - but any 3.01 based Puppy should work the same. With a bit more tweaking I'll have a lean, mean puppy that does exactly what I need it to do - without all the unneeded/unused extras that the full versions have.

Thanks to dvw86, Tempestuous, and Glassparrot - keep up the good work guys!