Simple Mail & Firefox = Best browser for Puppy Linux

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Or how about the alternative approach!!
browsing from thunderbird.....
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/5373

mike

jcagle

#17 Post by jcagle »

I was just looking at Simple Mail and it can import but not export
to seamonkey or Thunderbird.
I really don't see why this would be an issue anyway. Almost every email
client that I have ever used (including Simple Mail) has a switch so it doesn't
delete mail from the server after downloading them.

Delete messages from server:Never
If you're limited on space on the server, it could be an issue.

malderson

Can Simple Mail do plain ASCII text?

#18 Post by malderson »

Based on this thread, I have tried the Firefox/Simple Mail combo. Very nice, but....

It isn't really a Puppy issue, but has anyone figured out how to configure Simple Mail to send only plain-text messages? I have one mail list I'm on that insists on plain-text messages (and I prefer them anyway). It looks like Simple Text may be HTML only? Must I stick with Seamonkey or Thunderbird to send plain-text mail in Puppy?

amigo

#19 Post by amigo »

Another idea is to use the GtkEmbed browser(the demo app) with thunderbird. Or you can go one better and use the minimo browser. quite some while ago I worked out how to compile minimo for linux(even patched to use GTK-1.2). I had gotten the package size down to around 7MB uncompressed for the embeded browser. But since I don't really care that much for firefox, but I do like thunderbird, I worked out how to compile the minimo browser, in place of the GtkEmbed, from the thunderbird sources.
I hadn't worked at all with the moz sources since 1.7.13, but just a few days ago I started fooling around again with the seamonkey sources which can still be compiled for GTK-1.2. Perhaps sometime soon I 'll have a couple of slack packages of these more modern versions with a couple of twists.

I also have done some work recently on getting the gpe-mini-browser to work(succeeded with that) and compiling skipstone for use with webkit -still haven't gotten that going.
This world *still* needs a really good small browser! I should mention that using the GtkEmbed or minimo browsers still gives you lots of good mozilla features including java script support and the start-up times are great -about 2-3 seconds on my machine, where firefox takes about 9 seconds. And minimo only uses about 6MB of memory while running.
What I really use on a daily basis is opera -I really wish they would open the sources... And I use dillo for local browsing of html pages. I have been working on that a little lately -combining some old patches I have around which provide the tabbed-browsing and frames support plus drag-n-drop for the file selector. I'm going to try to work in a few others (like https).
A couple of years ago I did some work with ancient versions of skipstone (for GTK-1.2) which only needed *one* mozilla header and would compile against every version from 0.99 to 1.7 without any trouble. I also found something very similar which was called 'cheetah' but it still needed lots of work also.
I'd really like to see some good coders continue with the dillo browser for GTK. There is development activity for dillo, but using the new fltk version -which I don't care that much about.
I'm glad that seamonkey/firefox/thunderbird are out there, but I find firefox really clunky and dead slow. I don't usually miss the java or flash support myself, but I know most others do. You know, the classiest looking and functioning browser I ever saw was galeon -also now dead... but it needed lots of gnome stuff, too. Still waiting for something new to come down the pipeline that doesn't use gecko -webkit is not much better -it does make a quicker engine, but is just as much a nightmare to compile as the moz stuff.
Since I don't generally 'do' QT, I still use the static version of opera for every-day browsing and I'm quite happey with sylpheed-claws-1.0.5 for GTK-1.2 (startup time one-half second!) -I 've gotten several plugins working with it for viewing pdf, mathml, html and others inline. I really like the MH mailbox format as each mail is an individual file -databases are harder to cope with. I'm going to see If I can get some of these same plugins to work in dillo to make a better all-purpose viewer out of it.

charlie6

simple mail v 2.83.3

#20 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Here is (latest at now) version 2.83.3 (515KB; not stable ... but works nice here on dpup-exprimo 3.6.2.1 + FF17.0) download link:
https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/_files/5 ... 3.3-fx.xpi
To be downloaded as an extension to FF; place it in /usr/lib/firefox/extensions/; then open FF and activate simple_mail from Tools/Modules/Extensions and follow instructions.
Have fun :D
Charlie

charlie6

simple mail v 2.84.1

#21 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
here is latest version at now
(i'm daily using it with FF18 ...nice, tiny, simple, seems stable,.. :D )
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... mple-mail/
enjoy

charlie6

new version 2.86beta1

#22 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
mail courrier module to Firefox (compatible with FF from v3.6 till latest FF version - here running with FF v22.0)
Using former versions since quite one year now will full satisfactions !

1. manual installation
Simplemail version 2.86 beta1 available here
https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/storage/ ... ta1-fx.xpi
download into /root/.mozilla/extensions;
From firefox menu/tools/modules, in the upper right corner click on the tool box icon and select "install new module from folder"; then select /root/.mozilla/extensions/simple_mail-2.86Beta1-fx.xpi;
click "install now" and let's follow further instructions.

2. automatic installation
Open Firefox and go to these web page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rsion-2.86
point the mouse cursor on the title " Version 2.86Beta1";
then a yellow box «Add to Firefox» pops up at the right hand side to the title; just ckick on «Add to Firefox» and follow instructions.

Charlie

charlie6

current version 2.86.2

#23 Post by charlie6 »