Menu

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
profolio

Menu

#1 Post by profolio »

First off, while I'm not very active on this forum, I have nonetheless been following the new developments via a good friend of mine (we met on Grafpup a while back) and have returned to Puppy (Muppy in this case) after two years of distro hopping. Congrats to Mu for a fantastic job and bringing BK's tireless efforts one step further to a user friendly desktop.
I recently downed Muppy Standard 8.3 and find it very promising. I do however dislike the gnome-like menu and the upper menu bar. My questions are...How can I revert to a point and click anywhere menu like the one in 8.2
Minisys. And, can I get rid off the upper menu bar.
Thanks for the help
Michel

MU

#2 Post by MU »

remove GtkBasic-Panel from /root/autostart/
You can move it to
/root/autostart/off/
for tests.

Edit /usr/sbin/fixmenus

Code: Select all

if [ "$w" == "muppywm starticewm" ];then
exit 0
fi
to:

Code: Select all

if [ "$w" == "muppywm starticewm" ];then
# exit 0
fi
edit:
/root/.icewm/preferences
TaskBarShowStartMenu=0 # 0/1
to:
TaskBarShowStartMenu=1 # 0/1

Now it should use Icewms menu, after you restarted X.
Not exactly sure, as I am too tired now for tests.
I want to add a utility to choose among Icewm/GtkBasicPanel/LXPanel in version 008.4, but this still can take some weeks.
Let me know, if my instructions are not sufficient, then I'll have a closer look next week.
I'm offline this weekend.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

profolio

reMenu

#3 Post by profolio »

Thanks MU. I'll try it over the weekend and post the results on Monday
Michel

profolio

update

#4 Post by profolio »

Hi Mu,
Regarding getting rid of the upper taskbar...it worked but I couldn't get a point-and-click menu. Having 008.2 on another box, I imported my icewm prefs to 008.3. That gave me the option to enable JWM and get the point-and-click menu as you will see in the screenie. While it might not be the best method, it works. Some caveats though are that I'd much rather have the icewm taskbar at the bottom but whem I activate icewm I loose the menu. Conky seems to get stuck in jwm and I can't move it as I did in ice. Pushing this a little further, is there a way to make that menu background transparent or a the very least a 50% gray to mesh with the bcgd.
Cheers
[/img]
Michel