DCL 2008

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
raffy

openoffice

#31 Post by raffy »

Have you run OpenOffice sfs with DCL? I seem not to succeed doing that. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Brandon

#32 Post by Brandon »

I used the pet packages available in the manager. Accually I got openoffice_cutdown3-2.2.0.pet and openoffice_mozilla-2.2.0.pet from ibiblio.org, I could make a DCL 2008 Open Office Edition if you would like.
"Develop for it? I'll piss on it." -Bill Gates on the NeXTcube

wlake

DCL

#33 Post by wlake »

I downloaded DCL and changed the font sizes and installed the Nvidia driver. I really like it so far. A very nice implementation of XFCE.
How about DCL= Damn Cool Linux.
Regards,
wlake

raffy

DCL

#34 Post by raffy »

I second that :)

Ray MK

#35 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Brandon

VERY IMPRESSIVE - just fired up DCL and like it lots and my initial thoughts were, this is a Damn Cool Linux and that was before I read above post's - so for me at least -
DCL = Damn Cool Linux.

Still finding my way around - so for the moment

Best regards and many thanks for a very nicely presented 3.01 based DCLpuppy.

Ray MK - Puppy Linux n00bie

Sage

#36 Post by Sage »

Unintended consequences?! A tiny number of other versions/distros can do it, but not many. Installed DCL in an overweight SiS machine on an IDE line with 80w cable, too much memory, nV card and a massively clocked Athlon. Swapped the drive to a clapped out, clocked 370Celery with 128Mb, onboard video, VIA chipset and a 40w cable. Instant GUI boot up without any editing!

Successful re-detection of HW saves me huge amounts of time with test rigs. Most distros panic or crash.

Nice one.

Sage

#37 Post by Sage »

Huh! Just one little glitch. My Logitech mouse has turned into a ~1cmx1cm white square with two thin vertical black lines. It works if I use the top lhs to point, I don't know how to change the mouse image in Xfce??

Sage

#38 Post by Sage »

My cow is dying! Please don't leave me in this state, Brandon. I know you're about because I've seen you contributing in other threads! Besides which, we know where you live.............

Scoticus

DCL 2008

#39 Post by Scoticus »

Sage

Behave yourself ! Brandon might be looking for a similar mouse to yours to seek a resolution to your problem...

Remember miracles we do the impossible takes a little longer.

On the subject of a little longer can anyone confirm the suspicion that the Talking Stick has been put on the fire. I am suffering eye strain looking for it

Keep your chin up

Brandon

#40 Post by Brandon »

I'm happy to hear everyone likes DCL. I have decided to make the name just DCL because its simple. I'm not sure about the mouse at this point, as far as I know it uses the default X mouse. But I will keep trying.

Oh and Its a good thing I use CoBlitz, before it my server was using 3GB of bandwidth a day. Now its down to about 350MB

drongo

Wot, no dead cow?

#41 Post by drongo »

Brandon,

This is a beautiful and elegant-looking version of Puppy. Despite this, part of me wants a picture of a dead cow on the desktop. Does this make me a bad person? How do you change the wallpaper in XFCE anyway?

What was your previous pup? It's not mentioned on your website.

I think I'm going to have to pick seven Puppies and have a rota for each day of the week. It's not that long ago we only had the option of Barry's latest creation or Meanpup.

Thanks

drongo

:D

Brandon

#42 Post by Brandon »

XFCE Wallpaper can be change by clicking the "Start" button-Settings-Desktop Settings. Or typing xfce-setting-show backdrop into the terminal. My previous pup was BCSP, which is pretty similar but not put together as well.

smhardesty

#43 Post by smhardesty »

Brandon

I downloaded DCL yesterday and finally got a chance to fire it up. I really like what I'm seeing. I had been pretty much content with NOP 3.01 until now. I'm running it on my Toshiba laptop right now while posting this.

As for doing anything serious with DCL 2008, does using it as an everyday OS on both my laptop and one of my desktops count?

I'll play around with DCL for a little while tonight and see if I want to replace my full hard drive install of NOP 3.01 with DCL. I'm pretty sure I'll do a full install on one of the partitions on my multi boot LINUX desktop.

I totally agree with drongo's comment about DCL being an elegant-looking version of Puppy. About the only change I'll probably make real quick is a second panel at the top of the screen.

DCL has most of my favored apps like Abiword, Firefox, NVU, and of course the whole XFCE arsenal. I'll add Gnumeric, HomeBank, Xnview, and PetBeGone, then remove just a couple apps I won't use. All in all, it looks like DCL is about as close to what I'd master for myself as any of the other puplets I've tried.

Keep up the great work! Really nice job.

smhardesty

OOOPPPSS!

#44 Post by smhardesty »

Brandon

I downloaded DCL yesterday and finally got a chance to fire it up. I really like what I'm seeing. I had been pretty much content with NOP 3.01 until now. I'm running DCL on my Toshiba laptop right now while posting this.

As for doing anything serious with DCL 2008, does using it as an everyday OS on both my laptop and one of my desktops count?

I'll play around with DCL for a little while tonight and see if I want to replace my full hard drive install of NOP 3.01 with DCL. I'm pretty sure I'll do a full install on one of the partitions on my multi boot LINUX desktop.

I totally agree with drongo's comment about DCL being an elegant-looking version of Puppy. About the only change I'll probably make real quick is a second panel at the top of the screen.

DCL has most of my favored apps like Abiword, Firefox, NVU, and of course the whole XFCE arsenal. I'll add Gnumeric, HomeBank, Xnview, and PetBeGone, then remove just a couple apps I won't use. All in all, it looks like DCL is about as close to what I'd master for myself as any of the other puplets I've tried.

Keep up the great work! Really nice job.

Brandon

#45 Post by Brandon »

Thanks, and yes everyday use is about as serious as it gets! Thanks for using it!

Boo2themoon

panel disappears

#46 Post by Boo2themoon »

Hi Brandon, Thanks for making this pup. It ticks most of the boxes for me and my requirements.

However I think there is a bug in the xfce panel manager.

My two panels disappeared and after restarting them with "xfce4-panel" Firefox would not start from either the panel or the menu.

Typing firefox into the console did nothing and when I tried to open the mozilla folder the computer froze.

After rebooting a couple of times everything is ok again.

Weird!

Thanks again for DCL.

Boo

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#47 Post by Béèm »

Boo2themoon,
This isn't DCL related but XFCE.
I have the same in Happy Linux (XFCE besed) and with the XFCE 4.4.2 sfs.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Boo2themoon

#48 Post by Boo2themoon »

Hello Béèm,
Yes I also suspect xfce and have posted in the "Happy Linux" thread also.

nicefinger

#49 Post by nicefinger »

Hello. I am new to DCL. Tested Puppy original before but did not Like JWM.
I want to change from Xubuntu on my fathers P3-1000/512 to something else.
Running Live CD now. Everything seems pretty okej, but for one thing ...
Some Menue-texts are awfully BIG, for example in GIMP but not i Firefox.
How can I make a screeshot?
A second thing, please help me change the cursor. I want it white and slightly bigger.

Bra jobbat :)

Edit:
In the menue the file manager is still called Rox-filer instead of Thunar

Brandon

#50 Post by Brandon »

To take a Screenshot open GIMP, File, Acquire, Screenshot.
I haven't tried the cursors but http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=16622 thats the link. ROX is accually redirected to Thunar, part of Xfce and the menus thing might be fixed by going to set-up and then Set Global Font Size.