CuPup 2.17.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sketchman

CuPup 2.17.1

#1 Post by sketchman »

I made this for a friend who's used to Ubuntu. I wanted to show him that Linux can be fast and small but still be functional, all while looking good. Incidentally, he can't get passed the xorg configuration, but I'm gonna fix that for him.

Anyway, I don't know if there's even a need for something like this, but I made a torrent and put in on TPB. It got a little attention, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. It's just under 150mb and has the following:

Wine 0.9.54
EasyPup
Firefox 2.0.11

Plus all the things that the normal version of 2.17.1 has. I didn't remove anything.

If anyone's interested, I'm seeding it from now until I think no one wants it. There are 10 leechers right now. Hopefully that will supplement my sorry excuse for a cable connection. At least a little bit anyway.

EDIT: Sorry made a few typos. My mind was a bit foggy. Fixed them now. And a screen-shot too. :D

EDIT: I'm calling it CuPup I guess.(pronounced coo-pup) For Common Use Puppy. Seems to fit. Already started it on a diet and added the tiny but capable uTorrent. More additions and subtractions are in the works.
Attachments
joshpuptorrent.zip
(46.92 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
temp.jpg
(112.15 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
Last edited by sketchman on Tue 11 Mar 2008, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

nutts4life

#2 Post by nutts4life »

May i be the first to congratulate you on a superb looking version of puppy.

puppy with ezpup makes the UI look really slick and i hope should have impressed your ubuntu buddy.

As an ex ubuntu user, i was always put off by puppy's messy out-of-the-box UI, but i quickly realised that, it is not what the base release is about.
The base release is to show that you can run alot of simple apps in harmony on a light weight system. It's up to you how to make it work, hence the puplets.

this is a great example. thanks for showing us.

Before considering creating it as a puplet, think about why someone would use it and who that user would be.
If you think it should be a user who has come from ubuntu and therefore you want to match ubuntu's eye-candy and usability, then focus on that. Make sure all the apps, the configurablity and the UI make it easy for someone converting from ubuntu, but still keeping the same puppy look.

I feel alot of puplets were just created cos they just liked the puppy in that configuration, without any target audience.

It looks great though.
I hope that helps.

n4l

sketchman

#3 Post by sketchman »

Yeah, that does help. It is supposed to be a puppy for the average linux user, so I guess I should have called it averagepup or commonpup or something like that, but I was in a hurry, and didn't give much thought to it.

If anyone thinks there is a need for a puplet like mine, and if there isn't one already, I'll further refine it to cut down size and take suggestions for things to do to make it better. For instance, the average user doesn't need 2 browsers. They only need a few wallpapers. They don't need the blue million icons that come with EasyPup, either. etc, etc.(Not knocking you, WhoDo, I like the huge selection myself.)

Just someone say the word, and I'll keep working on it. Actually, I probably will either way. I have a little OCD. Things bug me if they aren't perfect. But say the word anyway. I'd like to know if there's interest and need.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"