1.0.6 Multi CD problems. DVD-R ok but CD-R wont work!!

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Mightymidget

1.0.6 Multi CD problems. DVD-R ok but CD-R wont work!!

#1 Post by Mightymidget »

Hi,

Just downloaded and tried 1.0.6 Multi on a DVD-R. It's great. Simply the most useful live CD i've every tried. Well done to everyone involved.

Now I've got you on side, here's my problem. The Multi DVD works, but try and try again I can't seem to be able to create a working Mulit CD-R.

My main system is Windows, so I'm using the standard non-multi puppy 1.0.6 to create my multisession DVD/CD's.

Here's what I do.

1.Boot into puppy,
2.Copy the raw ISO of puppy Multi that I've got on CDR to my-documents.
3.Then use 'Burniso2cd' to burn the ISO as Multi session CD to a blank CDR.

This worked perfect for the DVD but for the CD it doesn't. When I first boot from my newley created CDR everything goes great, puppies up and running in seconds. The problems start to happen when I close puppy and and it save the session.

Everything seem to start saving then at the end I get an error, then before I've had a chance to read what it's saying puppy ejects the CD and does a normal shutdown.

The next time I boot I get all sorts of errors about bad sectors and not being able to read. It seems that puppy is corrupting the CDR or maybe the disc gets finalised during it's creation using the burniso2cd script or during session saves? Eventually it boots but as a normal non multi CD. Nothing is available from my previous session,

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone got any suggestions. I'd really like to have the option of useing CDR's as my home PC's have only got CDwriters.

Many thanks in adavnce, Andy.

#2 Post by Guest »

Hi,

Third time lucky. Just tried again and it seems to be working, however I'm still getting loads of I/O error messages at boot. Also during shutdown and session saves it lists errors. All the same it is saving the session.

I think I read somewhere about these error messages in CDR multi sessions being related to the linux CD drivers or something like that.

Be grateful to hear from anyone else using a CDR for multisessions and if they have the same error messages during boot and shutdown saving.

Cheers Andy

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Yep, that's the problem with CDs.
I don't know about your initial problems, but you will get those error
messages and we have no fix for them.

aahhaaa

#4 Post by aahhaaa »

hi guys- is there a way to auto-save the error and/or startup messages messages to a log file? they do rocket by... :wink:

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks for confirming.

I think my original problem has to do with RAM, or lack of!!

I tried one of my failed CD's in a 512mb machine at it boot first time restoring the session. Then I tried the same disc on a 256mb machine and it wouldn't restore the session untill I it first booted then rebooted. Only then would it restored the session.

These machines normally run Windows and I noticed that Puppy created a 400mb swap file in c: so I guess the swap file was essential for the 256mb machine to run but the 512mb was able to cope on the first attempt.

Still, once the swap is there the 256mb machine is running pup from CDR with no problems, other than the boot/shutdown error messages.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

aahhaaa wrote:hi guys- is there a way to auto-save the error and/or startup messages messages to a log file? they do rocket by... :wink:
Here's a post that tells how to stop and start the screen.

CD-R no savings

#7 Post by Guest »

I have the same problem with saving. When i do i got a lot of errors. Packet errors, nothing is on the cd-r. when restarting, the cd works but nothing saved.