Modern Web Browser on a Pentium!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Brandon

Modern Web Browser on a Pentium!

#1 Post by Brandon »

I recently got two Pentium MMX 200Mhz systems. They are Compaq Deskpro 2000s, have 32MB of PC100 ram and a 2.1GB Hard Drive. I knew from past experience that with 32MB puppy is too slow and DSL runs decent. But knowing there was a free RAM slot I added a 64MB card to each bringing there RAM upto 96MB. Then Compaq Deskpros seem to like any of my CD Drives. I removed the Hard Drives plugged one into another system to install DCL 2008 and did the same with the second. After getting everything reassembled, it ran! I didn't add swap figuring I would just add physical RAM if I needed it. Usually approx one third of the ram is used (according to conky). They both run about as fast as Windows XP does on the average P4 with Antivirus. Thats with the latest XFCE window manager!! Puppy Linux is sooooo fast!
"Develop for it? I'll piss on it." -Bill Gates on the NeXTcube

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

No doubt about it, Xfce is a major improvement in speed. Just need to trim a bit of the fat and substitute Opera, now - complaints about its lack of functionality are mostly unfounded as it's just a little different to set up.