EZ pupsave backup

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
PaulBx1

EZ pupsave backup

#1 Post by PaulBx1 »

I'm wondering if everyone is as naughty as I am.

I know how important backups are. Yet I back up my pupsave maybe once every two weeks. How about you?

The problem is that it is a bit tedious. You have to reboot pfix=ram, do your copy, then reboot again.

Here's my idea (I posted this somewhere on the developer blog but don't see it there). We need a new Menu>Shutdown item, "Backup & poweroff". The idea is that the backup takes place automatically at shutdown. Why? First, because the pupsave is closed at shutdown, and thus can be copied then. Second, because the user is normally walking away from his computer, and does not care if it takes an extra couple of minutes to shut down (unlike a script running at boot).

The only fly in the ointment is that the pupsave might already be ruined by some unfortunate circumstance, thus saving it at that point does not help. I think the remedy is to keep more than one backup, and overwrite only the oldest one.

I don't think it is needed to make this a big elaborate thing with a gui window. The initial cut could have this saving in a fixed place such as /initrd/mnt/dev_save/Puppy/pupsavebackups, keeping a fixed number, 2 or 3, backups there. Later, configuration bells and whistles could be added.

If I had this I would backup every night. Then my backup might actually be useful if I needed it.

I have looked at the shutdown script, but its function is not entirely obvious to me. Anyone here familiar with that script? Can it be done?