Pebble 1.0 BETA - simple bootsplash program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

#91 Post by Pizzasgood »

Which parts are hard to work with, and in which ways?

I believe the biggest pain is dealing with initrd.gz - not much I can do there, besides providing premade versions and a utility to modify it more easily (on the forum somewhere, named "Edit-Initrd" - I believe it still works with 4.x? Haven't used it in a long time.).

The modifications to the boot scrips are about as simple as I can figure out how to do. Unless you know of a way to make Pebble magically know when it should drop back to the CLI? Maybe replacing the "read" and "exit" commands with wrappers that first communicate with Pebble? Seems like that would be a little iffy, but if it worked it would be pretty neat.

Or do you mean setting up the themes is too complicated? I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement there.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jmark1m

Pebble Status

#92 Post by jmark1m »

Will Pebble work with Wary Puppy 5.1.4? Seems to me some kernel specific modules were included with it and it will not work.

Will this Splash screen project be updated anytime?

What might the alternatives be for a framebuffer/splash screen in the latest Puppy. Splashy doesn't seem to compile. Others?

Pizzasgood

#93 Post by Pizzasgood »

Haven't used Wary, so I don't know for sure, but it shouldn't be too hard to manage. You are correct about the kernel modules, so you'd have to either compile or obtain versions that match your kernel. Barry used to make these available as part of the unleashed package for the version of Puppy in question. I think he still does this in the woof package, but I'm not sure.

You'd also have to manually go through the init scripts to add the various commands to have it start, stop, etc.

I'm intending to make a new version of this someday. One of the companies I'm working with uses a heavily modified Puppy, and they're interested in a more advanced splash program than the current version. That's pretty low priority though. It's even lower priority in my own list of personal projects that need to be worked on. So I probably won't get around to it for a long time.

As for alternatives, I think there is one named "bootsplash". Any alternative will probably also require the same kernel modules though, and probably also editing of the bootscripts to manage it (but I could be wrong, I haven't looked very closely at other systems).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

technosaurus

#94 Post by technosaurus »

As for alternatives, busybox now has fbsplash. It has had quite a few improvements in the last couple release cycles.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

WarMocK

#95 Post by WarMocK »

@technosaurus: is there already a dotpet available for it? Or do I need to compile that busybox-version from scratch?

tasmod

#96 Post by tasmod »

I've been trying to use this on Luci 529 with mixed results.

I modded everything including the initrd.gz and the rc.d files.

On my own machine frugal install I can get the splash and an animation sequence working during boot. the only text appearing is the Xwin start just prior to desktop.

However on shutdown even though I have not made any changes to shutdown the vga=785 keeps the echoing off.

I discovered that just using vga=785 in the grub line without any other mods on a clean frugal install, produced a black screen during booting till the init scripts took over, when text appeared.

On shutdown though, the same problem as a modded system, the shutdown is done under a black screen with no console output.

I admit I'm lost now. I read up on fbcon and tried to unbind the console in the shutdown script but to no avail.

I tried the shutdownsplash in the shutdown script but I cannot get this to work correctly. I did hope this would restore the console for the closing messages using the pause etc.

I even got this far on a live cd build. :lol:

Anyone know where I'm going wrong. :?:
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)