Pebble 1.0 BETA - simple bootsplash program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

#61 Post by Pizzasgood »

my wife's due with our next baby in a bout a week
Well, I'd say that takes priority!

Good luck. :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

echamussy

Pebble not working on 4.1

#62 Post by echamussy »

Hello,
I was using pebble 1.0 with puppy-NOP 4.0 and today I tried NOP (based on 4.1) and is not working :( The splash screem never goes away and puppy can't boot. Do you guys know if there is anything new in puppy 4.1 that prevents pebble from working?

Thanks !!

Pizzasgood

#63 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know. I haven't looked at 4.1's boot scripts yet. I'll port Pebble to 4.10 and 4.11 this weekend or the next, pending homework and attention-span.

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot that I needed to do this still.

Oh, and I'll also update the package to use the version I posted for Dinky to test. I was waiting for him to get back to me first, in case I still didn't find his bug. But oh well.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

echamussy

Wow

#64 Post by echamussy »

Wow, thanks for responding so fast ! Great, I'm looking forward to have pebble running on 4.1. Thanks for your work, you are a genius :D

Cheers.

dinky

#65 Post by dinky »

Hi Pizzasgood, sorry bout not getting b ack to you with that testing, I bailed. While I'm still finding some time for developing, there's precious little of it, and currently I'm working on project Ripple. The idea is to only use Compiz-Fusion as the Window manager, with nothing else. TigerPup, the project with the bootspash, is blending with Ripple. I'll definitely be using Pebble at some point, but it's going to wait until more important issues are sorted, and Ripple is stable. Hope to get back to Pebble testing then. Cheers.
~dinky

Pizzasgood

#66 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I've ported it to 4.10 and 4.11. I have not tested these extensively. Basically, I made sure the 4.11 version booted properly, after being installed into an existing frugal Puppy. I have not verified that the tweaked puppyinstall script is perfect, nor that every case where the splash should be removed is working (such as for entering passwords or choosing a pup_save.2fs file). I'll test it harder someday but now is not a good time for that.

Anyways, it seems to work so far.

Links on the first post now point to the new versions.

james_liu

problem with pebble_p411-1.0

#67 Post by james_liu »

After installed the pebble_p411-1.0 for puppy4.1.1-k2.6.25.16, I can not get the X sometimes. But is not like this, sometimes has been normal. The screen has paused in the last image. I thought maybe the x have not started.
How to solve it?

Pizzasgood

#68 Post by Pizzasgood »

I can not get the X sometimes.
Does the bootsplash go away and leave you at the commandline, so that you have to run xwin? Does it do that, but without clearing the image? Or does it hang, requiring a reboot?

What kind of install? Full, frugal, USB?

--------

FYI, I've now uploaded packages for 4.12 also.

james_liu

#69 Post by james_liu »

Pizzasgood wrote:
I can not get the X sometimes.
Does the bootsplash go away and leave you at the commandline, so that you have to run xwin? Does it do that, but without clearing the image? Or does it hang, requiring a reboot?

What kind of install? Full, frugal, USB?

--------

FYI, I've now uploaded packages for 4.12 also.
The bootspalsh dose not go away. It pauses in the last picture, but not commandline. I can not do any things, but only reboot.
Frugal Install.

Pizzasgood

#70 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thanks. I'll see if I can track it down tomorrow.

james_liu

#71 Post by james_liu »

Pizzasgood wrote:Thanks. I'll see if I can track it down tomorrow.
Waits for your good news ! :)

Pizzasgood

#72 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I'm not sure what's wrong, but I do know there are a couple spots where there is a potential for it to get stuck in an infinite loop if something breaks. They were spots where the script waits for the daemon to finish doing something before continuing. I adjusted the code so that now they won't wait more than five seconds, then they'll continue anyway.

Try this modified version and let me know if it seems to work:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/tm ... 1.0.tar.gz

Can you confirm that this only happens when running Pebble?

james_liu

#73 Post by james_liu »

Pizzasgood wrote:Well, I'm not sure what's wrong, but I do know there are a couple spots where there is a potential for it to get stuck in an infinite loop if something breaks. They were spots where the script waits for the daemon to finish doing something before continuing. I adjusted the code so that now they won't wait more than five seconds, then they'll continue anyway.

Try this modified version and let me know if it seems to work:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/tm ... 1.0.tar.gz
Well, I will be quick to try this version.
Pizzasgood wrote:Can you confirm that this only happens when running Pebble?
I think this is the case. When I did not install the pebble will not happen. Even if it is installed pebble, but not enable it, it will not happen.

Dark Adonis

#74 Post by Dark Adonis »

Hi Pizzasgood,

I too tried this with Puppy 4.1. I can confirm that this only happens with pebble.

Unfortunately, your modified version did not work as well... it hung at the boot screen.

Good luck, and thanks for this great program!

Edit: Nevermind, the shutdown problem was my fault. The boot problem still persists.
Last edited by Dark Adonis on Sun 14 Dec 2008, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

james_liu

#75 Post by james_liu »

Dark Adonis wrote:Hi Pizzasgood,

I too tried this with Puppy 4.1. I can confirm that this only happens with pebble.

Unfortunately, your modified version did not work as well... it hung at the boot screen.

Good luck, and thanks for this great program!

Edit: Also, is it possible that pebble modified a script that prevents puppy from asking you to make a pup_save at the end of a live session? I began to experience this after I installed pebble. Not 100% sure if it is pebble's fault, but would appreciate if you check this.
I tested with the modified version the result is the same.

Pizzasgood

#76 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry, been traveling and visiting. I'll try to look into it more this week.

Pizzasgood

#77 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm not sure what's wrong. It works fine on my end. You said it only happens sometimes. Have you noticed any kind of patterns with when it happens, like maybe only after improper shutdowns? Or every other boot?

Just a heads-up: from this coming Monday until January 5 I probably won't have any internet access, so if I seem to vanish until January it isn't because I'm ignoring you.

james_liu

#78 Post by james_liu »

Good, the edition 4.11 first like this, did not know that 4.12 can also have such question

kranthi

4.10 full HD freeze

#79 Post by kranthi »

I installed pebble on puppy 4.10 full HD install, but the screen freezes after showing the image "booting puppy linux". :(

If I change the option vga=785 to vga=normal the boot is successful (although some text messages have reduced)

I also tried putting the command "bootsplash stop" in more places than one in the rc,sysinit script but still no success.

kranthi

temporary solution

#80 Post by kranthi »

one solution that seems to work for me is to replace
"bootsplash stop" with "killall pebble-daemon"

dont know if there are any side-effects though.