Pebble 1.0 BETA - simple bootsplash program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
dinky

#31 Post by dinky »

Thanks Pizzasgood, and how odd. I wonder if it's something to do with my system hardware itself...

I'll play around with it some more, and see if I can work out what's happening. For now I might just leave pebble as part of the pupplet, and write into the documentation (which I still need to create) that there can be an issue.

Thanks for the tip on 'Hardinfo', I'll have a look at it later. Thanks also for the tip about no run actions. Any thoughts on fixing this? I've put (or thought I put) the correct defaults into the executable files for default media player, etc, but couldn't figure out how to edit them properly for Mut. Currently if a dvd is noticed by mut, you can open xine, but I haven't figured out how to get it to start playing automatically, or how to get xine to start automatically for audio cd's. Is this what you meant? Thanks again for your input, it's really appreciated.

Pizzasgood

#32 Post by Pizzasgood »

I meant that if I double-click (yuk) a media file, the filemanager doesn't know what to do with it. Except .mpg files, which it decides should be opened with the text editor. In case it matters, the file types I tried were .ogg, .mp3, .mov, .mpg, and .avi.

As for MUT, I've never worked with that before so I have no idea how it works on the inside. You've reminded me of another issue though. When unmounting a partition, it will open a filemanager window there first. My guess as to why is that MUT tries to close all ROX-Filer windows inside a mountpoint before unmounting it using rox -D /mnt/hda1/, but this file manager doesn't support that option so instead it just opens the directory. That's just a guess though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, the tweaked versions are now uploaded. If you already have 1.0 beta installed, you only need to worry about updating initrd.gz. Technically, the new packages also have the altered versions of pebble and pebble-daemon for inside the save-file/pup_xxx.sfs, but unless you're obsessive about consistency they don't matter since the changes only apply for during the initrd.gz stage.

The new development file also contains an automated method for packaging all the pre-made stuff. Probably I'm the only one who cares about that. It's MUCH simpler than having to manually run tar over and over and over....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

dinky

#34 Post by dinky »

Ah! Of course, now I know what you mean. That's something I overlooked, but was planning on sorting out at some point...lol. Easy enough to fix, just time consuming... I'll have to put sorting run actions higher on that list... Re Mut that's probably due to my inexpert handling of the mut.tcl file. Will have another look later. Thanks for your feedback.

I'll try your updated pebble soon. Cheers.

dinky

#35 Post by dinky »

Is there a pebble for Puppy 4 in the works?

Pizzasgood

#36 Post by Pizzasgood »

Almost in the works. I have a couple other programs I need to fix, and I'm hopefully going to be starting a full time internship next week (one last interview on Monday). So I'll put Pebble next in my list after fixing clamav_wrapper and petbegone, but I can't know exactly when it will be ready. Hopefully in under a week, but not more than two.

dinky

#37 Post by dinky »

Good luck with your internship! Looking forward to seeing Pebble's next release. Cheers mate.

Pizzasgood

#38 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I uploaded a new version that handles 4.00. I also improved Pebble's shutdown code to make sure there aren't any temporary files left laying around when it's over, and to make sure all the daemons shut down.

It doesn't fix the issue with //WORM_SHUTDOWN// not working sometimes, but it makes sure worm gets shut down anyways. Not as elegant, but whatever. Worm was shutting down properly when I tested this on my laptop, but in the event that it doesn't on another machine, this will take care of it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#39 Post by Lobster »

:) congratulations on the new Pebble Beta and the docummentation :)

Recently I downloaded Tigerpup and noticed the version with Pebble was 2MB bigger . . . it was also a newer version so maybe not pebble?

How much size does pebble add?
Can a jpg be used that is also a wallpaper?

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

I never thought about that. Yes, you can use the same image. There is a short bit where it reverts to the console just before starting X, so it wouldn't be seamless. Even if I improved it to the maximum amount, there'd still be a flicker when X starts. It would still be interesting to use the same wallpaper as the bootsplash.

Pebble adds between 1 and 3 MB uncompressed, plus the size of the images you use. There's probably a lot I can do to reduce the size of the daemons. That's on my list of things to do for version 2.0. For 2.0 I want to tear out most of the Fbv code and replace it with my own, if anything (much is unneeded). I'll also look into reducing dependencies.

I don't know when I'll start working towards 2.0 though. I have a lot of other projects I want to work on first.

dinky

#41 Post by dinky »

Brilliant... though truth be told it will be awhile before TigerPup reaches Puppy 4, as far as I know Compiz-Fusion is still being developed for that. Will this update change anything in Pebble for 3.01, or is it just a fix for Puppy 4? Am using Pebble as a default for TigerPup now. Cheers.
~dinky

Pizzasgood

#42 Post by Pizzasgood »

I updated it for all supported Puppy versions. The only file that changed for the non-4.00 versions was /bin/pebble. Technically it changed in both initrd.gz and pup_xxx.sfs, but only the one in pup_xxx.sfs really matters for the edits I made.

EDIT: I take that back. I also corrected a bug in /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller for 300 and 301 for certain types of installs (I think it was just things using extlinux or boot-floppies, but don't remember). I actually saw that bug long ago and thought I fixed it, but I guess the fixed version must have been overwritten.

Archie

#43 Post by Archie »

Thank you for a well-documented Pebble. My Puppy had never looked better. It's just too bad there isn't an easier way to get a widescreen framebuffer.

Thank you for your hard work.

nutts4life

#44 Post by nutts4life »

PIzzagood and friends,

I'm being a bit dumb, but i'm trying to integrate pebble into my unleashed build for my puplet.

I'm afriad i don't know quite enough about the unleashed build. So i was hoping one of you guys can give me a quick explanation.

This is my assumptions (i'm using 4.0 puppy and i've downloaded all the tar.gz's).

In the 400 directory i've combined the pup_XXX folder with the unleashed_extras folder and called it a pebble folder.

This folder i will put as one of my packages for unleashed.

Now what do i do about the initrd.gz stuff? The boot directory of unleashed contains the makeinitrdgz script and the init-tree and the final built initrd.gz

I assume the init-tree is built at ./createpuppy runtime and then the initrd.gz is built from that.
Where is the init-tree / initrd.gz building files. Are these also in rootfs-system are these the same files as in init-tree-ORIG?

Does that mean i need to move the new-init-stuff as part of my pebble package and that's it?

Thanks for any help.

n4l

Pizzasgood

#45 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think there should be a 'boot/initrd-tree0/' directory, and the createpuppy script should combine that with some of the modules from the kernels/ directory to make a boot/initrd-tree/ directory, then it should run the makeinitrdgz.sh script on that, then put the initrd.gz file into isolinux-builds/ directory.

If this is correct, then you'd just need to copy the contents of pebble's new-init-stuff into boot/initrd-tree0. You could verify whether it probably worked by comparing the size of isolinux-builds/initrd.gz before running createpuppy to the size after.

davec51

Splash Intruding on all Windows

#46 Post by davec51 »

I modified the menu.lst, as instructed, changed the initrd.gz, and installed the .pet. I got a beautiful, blue splash on bootup. But then, as I surfed away, suddenly two pinkish/purplish images appeared on my screen on top of everything. They couldn't be put in the background. On inspection, I saw that they were bizarre copies of the splash screen, with poor resolution. I could only get rid of them by reversing what I had done: reinstating my original initrd file and uninstalling the .pet.
Is what I have described possible, or does the phenomenon lie deep in my psyche? I have an old Nvidia Riva128 video card that doesn't support Xorg, so I use VESA; I hope that's the problem.

nutts4life

#47 Post by nutts4life »

Pizza good,

That worked great! Here are the steps to install pebble on unleasher:

from the puppy version specific directory (301, 400 etc).

- create a folder called pebble-1.0
- copy the contents of unleashed extras into pebble-1.0
- put pebble-1.0 into puppy_unleashed/packages and install as package
- Copy contents of new-init-stuff into puppy_unleashed/boot/init-tree0
- build puppy as normal.

Thanks!

n4l
Last edited by nutts4life on Thu 27 Nov 2008, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

davec51

Pebble Woes, Part II

#48 Post by davec51 »

I thought I removed Pebble. There now is no splash screen on bootup, but no text either. I guess I can live with that, but is there any way to get back to normal short of deleting my pup_save.2fs file and starting over?

davec51

Pebble Problem solved

#49 Post by davec51 »

My previous post said:"I thought I removed Pebble. There now is no splash screen on bootup, but no text either. I guess I can live with that, but is there any way to get back to normal short of deleting my pup_save.2fs file and starting over?"

Easy. I removed "vga=791" from the kernel line in menu.lst. Everything is now just as it was before the fatal Pebble experiment.

nutts4life

#50 Post by nutts4life »

pizza good,

I can't understand why this isn't working.

I have created my own theme, with 16 images. At image nine i enter a loop which allows me to face 'loading....' in and out.

My theme .conf:

loop true
loop_start 7
end_stage

But it doesn't loop! Any ideas?

I'm using puppy 4. I have only put files in the init-tree0 directory now and now where else, initrd.gz compiles fine and has been successful so far.

n4l