Lighthouse 3.01 Alpha4 - KDE 3.5.7 - ISO 278M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

How to unhide MU-Gtk-Themechooser in LHP3.01a

#16 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:I like the color scheme you've set up for KDE. Any plans to include GTK Theme Chooser for IceWM?

Thanks for your efforts,
--Barburo
As you noted, MU-Gtk-Themechooser.desktop (at /usr/share/applications) is missing from the menus in all window managers. Open it with a text editor and change

Code: Select all

Hidden=true
to

Hidden=false
Thank you, TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Barburo

More feedback

#17 Post by Barburo »

HI TazOC,
I've been monitoring this thread but not much feedback from others - I guess we all get busy at this time of the year.
The more I use LHPup3.01 the more I'm impressed with what you have engineered into it. I'm starting to work increasingly in KDE now - same applications, different manager.
Re: my last comment about mime types - I was messing around in Rox and had icon theme set to crystalgold. Seems that the "Rox" theme is the only icon theme that works in Rox - all others give the error message.
I tried your fix for getting back the icons on the IceWM desktop but it didn't work for me. I just set them manually and they seem to persist now. ***edit I tried again - your fix works

The display quality of the background image seems better in KDE than in IceWM:
If I use a background like "blue bend" that has large areas of blues that shade into each other, it displays well in KDE, but the same image in IceWM shows jittery transitions. I first thought it might need nVidia because I have nVidia cards in both my machines, but now I'm not so sure.
***edit - this is true for the notebook only - my regular desktop box displays the backgrounds with equal precision. Still i can't figure why the notebook is like this -B

Adding applications to KDE Quick-launcher: I can drop the link but how do you change the icon?

I still lose the cursor quite often after transferring a couple of times back and forth between KDE and IceWM. It makes logging off without losing the session an interesting exercise. Is this a problem in Puppy 3.01, or in LHPup additions?

It's a snap using the volume control in KDE (top right), but in IceWM using Zmixer-sound-mixer, I find that the "master" slider is stuck at the bottom and I can't move it. I can adjust the "PCM" slider but not the master. (Switch to KDE - increase volume, back to IceWM - the "Master" is still stuck but now it's louder).
I really like the way you've set up Xine - I use it for skipping through and listening to bunch of music files. Mp3s or Wpa's - it seems to play most formats.
XMMS (good Sony skin!) seems to only like mp3s.

I got CUPS printing working OK, and also my scanner.
Will you be upgrading to Java 1.6? I have one app that needs 1.6 but it's not critical.

More later - Barburo
Last edited by Barburo on Mon 03 Mar 2008, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Frosty50

LighthousePup3.01

#18 Post by Frosty50 »

Hi TazOC,
This is my first post on a forum. I like your Lighthouse Puppy. Thanks for all of the work you have put into lighthouse. My main linux OS is Linux Mint and I have used Pclinuxos. I like to use KDE as a window manager. I noticed that Thunderbird would not work for me when I booted off the cd. I did a frugal install to the hard drive and it works just fine now. I am using firefox as my browser and I like your red and blue theme. I have only been using Lighthouse a couple of hours maybe post again after using it awhile.

Dingo

#19 Post by Dingo »

I have 256 MB RAM memory. Can I using with satisfaction this Puppy derivative ot the ram is not enough?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

jonyo

#20 Post by jonyo »

Not sure if c/w rutilt?

Diamond

#21 Post by Diamond »

Thanx for a great distro!!! I installed it yesterday...

i am very satisfied with KDE 3.5 ... looking soo good to me!

When new version arrives ?

btw,in VLC player there is no sound,but at the first sight distro seems pretty stable for an alpha4 relase...

Control center ROCKS!!!

john biles

#22 Post by john biles »

Hello tazoc,
Excellent work! A KDE Puppy will go down very well with some users. What other Distro besides Ubuntu can boast so many different variants.
Puppy truly is what Linux is all about.
Create an Operating System the way you want it.
Kind of makes Windows with its default same XP or Vista desktop a bit boring doesn't it!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Diamond

#23 Post by Diamond »

Hello ? anyone ? ...

This is a great distro,too bad that it seems that there will not be soon a new version...

macadavy

#24 Post by macadavy »

Diamond wrote:Hello ? anyone ? ...

This is a great distro,too bad that it seems that there will not be soon a new version...
This alpha version was only released in early February, its a little unrealistic to expect one man to iron out all the bugs to create a beta version in just three months! Be patient, I'm sure (based on past experience) that TazOC is beavering away at it and will deliver the goods before long...
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

tazoc

How much RAM is needed for LighthousePup 3.01?

#25 Post by tazoc »

@All,
Thank you for your comments and interest. I apologize for being away from the forum and development of LighthousePup. I am disabled and rely on the government for income. My shoulder is improving although I struggle daily with depression and anxiety.

Though I haven't been able to update LighthousePup since February I still hope to work on it again. I appreciate your feedback and will try to reply in a timely fashion. I'm using LHP 3.01a4 with KDE almost exclusively.
Dingo wrote:I have 256 MB RAM memory. Can I using with satisfaction this Puppy derivative ot the ram is not enough?
Good question. I don't have a machine that can be configured to test @256 MB. Might need a hard drive with a LinuxSwap partition, but I can't say for sure. Anyone else have 256 MB of RAM? The previous version without KDE, LighthousePup 2.15 is more likely to be suitable, however in the current build of LighthousePup 3.01 you can log out and then change into IceWM for better response on low spec machines. Puppy will remember your choice of window manager on reboot.

@Barburo,
Thank you for your detailed feedback. Will try to replicate the background, Zmixer and cursor problems on an nVidia based machine. Could the color depth be related to poor color transitions in IceWM? Not sure why KDE background is okay but IceWM would not be.

KDE Quicklauncher simply caches and uses whatever icon is dropped onto it. To change it you must change the 'source' icon in KMenu or wherever you dropped it from, then right-click | remove from Quicklauncher and then drop the new one onto it. Hope that helps. I'll try to look into upgrading Java in the future.

@Frosty50,
Welcome and thank you for commenting. Glad LHP with KDE is working for you. There is a bug with the T-bird email app launcher that I will address when I'm able. The executable that works is at

cd /usr/lib/thunderbird
./thunderbird
@jonyo,
I'm not very familiar with rutilt, sorry. When I run it I get "Can't find any wireless network interface." Anyone else with wi-fi can test? Need to see if it works in Puppy as well.

@Diamond,
You're welcome! If no sound, try Xine media player and/or KMenu | Settings | Wizards | ALSA Sound Wizard. VLC isn't included in LighthousePup; might need to re-install it?

@john biles,
Thank you. I totally agree. I dual boot with LHP, Ubuntu and WinXP, but rarely use anything but Linux. Puppy rocks!

Best regards, TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

jonyo

Re: How much RAM is needed for LighthousePup 3.01?

#26 Post by jonyo »

tazoc wrote:@jonyo,
I'm not very familiar with rutilt, sorry. When I run it I get "Can't find any wireless network interface." Anyone else with wi-fi can test? Need to see if it works in Puppy as well.
Ok thx. I think you're saying lighthouse c/w rutilt ..I couldn't find it :oops: so I'll have another look. :? I find it very useful sometimes in gettin that wifi connection in pup.

Cheers

Edit - Found rutilt & humming now with a wusb54G linksys usb adapter (wep 64 hex) using the native rt2570 driver that auto loads on boot.

Diamond

#27 Post by Diamond »

macadavy wrote:
Diamond wrote:Hello ? anyone ? ...

This alpha version was only released in early February, its a little unrealistic to expect one man to iron out all the bugs to create a beta version in just three months! Be patient, I'm sure (based on past experience) that TazOC is beavering away at it and will deliver the goods before long...
Sorry I did't know what is all about.
Actually I think,how could I live without KDE puppy ? great replacement for default file manager.Graphic effects looking veery good!
Btw,wine is not working for me.It won't even install.
Okay,I know that I have Xine,just wondered why VLC don't work.I hope new versions of Mplayer will be better,because it's my favourite application for playing video files!
And there is a bug,one service I can't start,and by default that service is already started.Just forgot the name,I have to uninstall Puppy,sorry please!
Bugs in firefox the display window is with too big letters... using "-" wont't work.
Any chance of built in video drivers like in muppy ?
And finally,could you please,make NTFS partition automaticaly boot at startup ? Thanx for your patience and hard work...
And thanx you all guys for take care about dial-up users!!!
And to add at the end... great memory consumption,works well even on 512 MB ram!!!
Take care!

ColinB

#28 Post by ColinB »

Hi, I have booted my laptop with Lighthouse Pup and am very impressed. However when I shutdown I do not get an opportunity to save my settings so I have to set up everything on the next boot.
Do I have to change any settings to save? I am new to Linux but like what I have seen so far. :D

jonyo

#29 Post by jonyo »

Until done once, the option to create a save file (that also saves settings) should automatically come up as an option on shutdown.

Md5 ok? Good burn? What type gear? ('pute info)

Here's a didja list from pclos.
Last edited by jonyo on Sat 03 May 2008, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#30 Post by jonyo »

Started exploring lighthouse & options, & ended up here. How do i get KDE, or the original desktop back? :oops:

WhoDo

Re: LighthousePup3.01 - Default desktop KDE 3.5.7 - ISO 278M

#31 Post by WhoDo »

tazoc wrote:Puppy3.01+KDE+IceWM+GIMP+FFox+Tbird+Java+Flash+Pidgin+Y!M+DRI+OPENGL
Please adjust the subject line in your initial post so it isn't so wide that it causes the forum headers to scroll off the page. Strategically adding a space or two so it breaks to a new line would do the trick.

Thank you.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tazoc

#32 Post by tazoc »

jonyo wrote:Started exploring lighthouse & options, & ended up here. How do i get KDE, or the original desktop back? :oops:
Have you tried [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Backspace] (exit to console) and then

xwin startkde
or

xwin starticewm
Hope that helps.

tazoc

#33 Post by tazoc »

Diamond wrote: Btw,wine is not working for me.It won't even install.
Wine is complex, for more info try here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26717
Okay,I know that I have Xine,just wondered why VLC don't work.I hope new versions of Mplayer will be better,because it's my favourite application for playing video files!
I'll keep that in mind.
And there is a bug,one service I can't start,and by default that service is already started.Just forgot the name,I have to uninstall Puppy,sorry please!
I haven't seen that, please show me how to replicate if possible.
Bugs in firefox the display window is with too big letters... using "-" wont't work.
Firefox doesn't always follow gtk2 fonts, has own style sheet: change line 14 of /root/.mozilla/firefox/isli9vb1.default/chrome/userContent.css

font-size: 13pt !important;
like this:

font-size: 12pt !important;
Any chance of built in video drivers like in muppy ?
I haven't been able to get all of them working, just certain ATI, sorry.
And finally,could you please,make NTFS partition automaticaly boot at startup ? Thanx for your patience and hard work...
And thanx you all guys for take care about dial-up users!!!
And to add at the end... great memory consumption,works well even on 512 MB ram!!!
Glad to hear that. NTFS is handled just like official Puppy 3.01--you can mount with Pmount. I don't know how to automount NTFS for all machines, but you could edit /etc/fstab on yours I think.

WhoDo

Re: LighthousePup3.01 - Default desktop KDE 3.5.7 - ISO 278M

#34 Post by WhoDo »

WhoDo wrote:
tazoc wrote:Puppy3.01+KDE+IceWM+GIMP+FFox+Tbird+Java+Flash+Pidgin+Y!M+DRI+OPENGL
Please adjust the subject line in your initial post so it isn't so wide that it causes the forum headers to scroll off the page. Strategically adding a space or two so it breaks to a new line would do the trick.
Thank you, tazoc.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ColinB

#35 Post by ColinB »

Ok, I got it working by "fiddling". It is now working fine. What I did was select the command prompt option from the logout button. Then I typed "poweroff" and got the save option.
I am using a Sony laptop and am connecting to the internet by wifi on startup. Next thing to try is printing :) .
After saving the recommended files to the hard drive I am showing 976 mb free with 1GB of ram. :D